Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kid in the Dark's Sketchbook

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
So I've recently taken a massive step back into games... So I'm beginning to re-enter all my old habits and doing art work in any bit of spare time that I have outside of work, so I'll hopefully have regular posts of sculpts and things that I've been able to do in time :)

Here's a WIP... Although I'm following the reference quite closely I'm not going to go for a 100% likeness of it since I consider it to be a bit of a time burner in comparison to any generic rock sculpt but for the time being the silhouette is going in this direction :)

C&C welcome or any tips on how to get some of these forms down cleaner would be nice too. Thank you!

7bq3Ts9.jpg?1

Replies

• Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    So after actually having some time out of the studio to do my own stuff... I've come back onto this rock sculpt...

I later on decided to go for more of a broken/shattered granite rock island with a mud stone base since the general logic of rock would dictate that by the way this rock's base is dipping inwards would mean that the stone underneath would be weaker/easier to break away by the water that it sits in.

This is actually my first attempt at rock sculpting in Zbrush... so forgive me if this work is terrible. I've spent most of my career life time building sci-fi hard-surfaced environments so I'm finally pushing myself to learn some organic rock/environment sculpting. So please, any crit is welcome that could better my pipeline or general art theory when approaching rocks or sculpts in general :)

3VNAGBZ.jpg?1
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

So I've been extremely busy recently juggling projects... full time work & freelance work in the evenings with other side project collaborations running alongside so this is finally a good time for me to get back to my own personal work that I've wanted to do :)...

So here's a concept and block out I previously did... Just as a bump and reminder since I posted this months ago and left it unintentionally...

jyYRHhH.jpg?1

So having just a few hours tonight I've unwrapped the mesh and began painting some basic textures... They all still need polishing so any input on what direction to go in with them is very welcome :)

qhlduka.jpg?1

It's very early on in the project so things like colours etc will be re-tuned as the project comes together.

Thanks! :D
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's my update today... still not that much but practically got the whole mesh blocked out now... so at this point I'm just filling in the blank areas with rough quickly painted textures and then I'll be going into detail on things like texture polishing / lighting / value adjustments etc later on... I'm a little stumped about how to go about the exterior concrete wall... because I feel like the current one looks a little or feels a little weak in design choice... any suggestions are very welcome :)

Ciao!

s5dCs7a.jpg?1
  • Stavaas
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man, you're definately going in the right direction with the house. If I were you, I'd go with more stylized proportions to match the look of the concept. Also, try getting some basic lighting or AO on the render, it's really gonna make it look 10x better! Nicely done mate.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Stavaas,

It's funny because I also thought the same thing before... needed someone to tell me that tbh haha... I'll have a relook at some of those shapes / sizes... in terms of things like lighting / ao... I'll be painting that stuff in soon... hopefully have some stuff to show this week end :D

Thanks for the crit n___n
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    For the rock sculpting, there is a lot of amazing info in this thread:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125857

pretty art too. Good luck.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ysalex,

I've actually kept up with the Rawk thread quite often and for some time now haha thanks n___n It's an amazing boost for confidence haha... I actually left that rock piece as it is and marked it off as just a sculpting exercise... I'll definitely get back to some rock sculpting practice again soon... in between projects and such hopefully :D!
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update for the time being... still working on this atm but thought I'd throw up something half way through :)

Still filling in areas but keep getting caught polishing other areas too xD...

C&C welcome (Y)

IZwJEr9.jpg?1
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update... Taking a break for the evening... so hopefully I'll have something to read at the end of my break n___n

I've just updated the chimney, added some test alphas which I'll definitely be repolishing and just fixed up a few textures hehe :)

B95uIsp.jpg?1
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    The grain on a lot of those beams should be turned 90 degrees to follow the length of them.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thanks Kaine... I was actually gonna get around to doing that eventually xD atm the texture literally has just one tiling wood texture slapped all over it loool... but I guess it's time I get onto that correction now as well, thank you for the reminder n___n! I'll have it in my next upload :D cheers
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    And here we have another update :)

So I've had to end my drawing session early tonight because I've got things I have to do sadly :( but I'lls till be working on this along the week when i have time after work n___n...

I've hit a pretty solid block out for this so far... so from this point onwards it'll be fine tuning textures, repainting areas, adjusting lighting etc... and of course the big middle window that I haven't included yet.

After the house is done I will begin doing the forest environment that surrounds it and throw it all into UE4 :)

C&C very welcome!

Ciao!

YaHErHA.jpg?1

And just incase I forgot to mention... the original concept comes from a talented artist named Jeremy Vickery. You may find his work in the following web link http://jermilex.blogspot.hk/
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Andddd another update...

So I've gotten to a pretty comfortable stage with the house and I'm ready to start moving onto the environment that surrounds it... Whilst I begin that if anyone sees some screamingly horrible mistakes in the house please address them :)

I've thrown the house into UE4 for the time being :)

Ciao for now!

X6YIrgz.jpg?1