Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cintiq Model [WIP]

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone. I modeled a Cintiq22HD. I modeled them with a few reference images but I do not own one myself. I have also uploaded my source files so you can use them however you would like. This model is 1820 tri's with 2048 textures.

I am attempting to model for next gen. This is a prop but it is a key piece. How am I doing? I do plan on updating this with a few more things here and there. I'm still trying to get the holes to come out in a color/materialID map (using free floats in Maya but transfer attributes does not use cage). If there is something that is severely lacking I'll update the thread with any requested changes.

Source Files 66MB (Use them for whatever you want):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w89184ao5wojqil/cintiqv01.zip?dl=0

bYbd2dd.png

9RqNEXN.png

Albedo
02QZuP9.jpg
Normal
pzLXdak.png
AO
unZUbHc.png
Roughness
r14aMWa.jpg

Replies

• Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Hey your materials are a bit odd, the cintiq does not have wear or patterns around the edges, it's just a solid dark grey matte plastic as you can see here http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81G98GSk9LL._SL1500_.jpg . The same goes for the screen, you have a lot of texture on there which would only happen if the cintiq was extremely damaged. The screen is completely smooth and much less reflective.

The model itself seems okay but it's hard to tell with such noisy textures.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Holly. I plan on remodeling the low poly and the high poly for the Cintiq model. Before I do I want to have a good idea of what the materials should look like before i make the overhaul. Is this ok? I thought about having a flat grey texture but I do want the texture to have some character to it. Is this a good balance?

rmy27oC.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks like it's been through a war. It's filthy and basically ruined. :) I've had cintiqs for years and they never take this much abuse.
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    The dirt and wear does not look natural. What detail you added looks very uniform and large. Add variation, but keep in mind of where it would be. Is the user right handed? Add oil marks from skin, pen use, etc.

If it is a cintiq where is the branding?

Your edges look odd, perhaps from the bake, the normal map. I also see some warping.

Also, why is the cintiq on an easel? Seems odd...
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback. The edges are definitely warped and it will require me to remodel the low poly. Before I do i just want to have a good idea of what a characterized texture would look like. Here is my next attempt.

AkEkC1E.jpg
  • kryptolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It still looks way too abused. I would just add some thumbprints around the buttons, and some SUBTLE scratches on the drawing surface.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cintiq screens are basically glass. They don't accumulate scratches like an art tablet does.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    The first thing I see is the texture of your brush strokes with the dirt. Try to work the wear details further so you can't see how it was made by the artist. This will help take your material to another level of believability. The dirt on the buttons to the sides doesn't appear to really be reacting to the contours of the surface. Have those details fit into the buttons around the edges.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Cintiq screens are basically glass. They don't accumulate scratches like an art tablet does.

just looking at mine on a glancing angle - yes they do! just wayyyy fainter/finer than this.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah without reading the description here, I thought originally that it was a regular black tablet. It isn't reading as a glass display because it isn't reflecting as such. Notice how this reference here is reflecting the environment:

http://core3.staticworld.net/images/article/2013/07/cintiq-beauty-100046594-medium.jpg

What are you reflecting in this scene? How is this lit?

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Unless you use your citiq very differently than most people, the wear on it is going to be be 95% roughness map. Any wear in the base color should be very, very subtle.
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
    Looks exactly like my cintiq... What? You don't keep your cintiq submerged in mud at all times? What's wrong with you people. Also, I have a tendency to lose my temper and throw it at people when they get too close to my mud house. I'm taking anger management classes, don't worry.
    Oh, and I don't have electricity, so I mostly just carve drawings into the screen with a sharp rock.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Bummer6 wrote: »
    Looks exactly like my cintiq... What? You don't keep your cintiq submerged in mud at all times? What's wrong with you people. Also, I have a tendency to lose my temper and throw it at people when they get too close to my mud house. I'm taking anger management classes, don't worry.
    Oh, and I don't have electricity, so I mostly just carve drawings into the screen with a sharp rock.

Sarcasm aside, that made me notice how there is no power cord.

And a stylus would be a nice addition too.
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
    Bartalon wrote: »
    Sarcasm aside, that made me notice how there is no power cord.

And a stylus would be a nice addition too.

I should probably mention that I didn't mean to be insulting or anything, so I apologize if it sounded that way. I just thought it was very funny how insanely beat up it looked, so I tried to imagine a scenario where it could potentially end up with that much wear and dirt. haha

In all seriousness though, you could probably remove like 95% of the dirt that's on there now and it would still look pretty worn.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry Bummer6. I found your post humorous rather than insulting. It got the point across. I would like to imagine this current version is owned by someone who eats lots of pizza, chicken and any other greasy foods.

Tricount: 2,222tris
    Texture Res: 2048^2

Source files for free use(86MB): https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkv1mgion58wspz/cintiqv02.zip?dl=0

jCrWc0A.png
    mmZqpcH.png
    BkYOYvC.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better! Getting there. It does sort of look like it's wet now, like it's in a sauna or something ... maybe dial back that roughness a little more. But almost there...
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Those mirrored wood pieces smack dab in the middle of your easel are really drawing my attention from the rest of the model. A somewhat poor placement for mirrored UVs in my opinion.

Also if top right texture map is your roughness, the dark parts of your easel feet are somehow less rough than the rest of it? How would the feet be more shiny than the other parts?
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    It's looking better! The easel is strange though...would have to be REALLY damn strong to support a cintiq. Also, scratches from the wacom on a cintiq are usually concentrated around wherever the center is of someone's usage area. For example, a right handed user would accumulate the most scratches slightly offcenter to the right....just a thought...
  • Croftyness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Croftyness polycounter lvl 11
    A stylus accompanied by it's holder would be a nice addition. For the true-to-life experience you should have a rolled up jumper on a table for those hurting elbow sessions. ; P
    Currently the shader looks more like a plasma screen with a thin plastic stained looked. If you were to tell me the surface was glass I would then assume it had condensation on it. As I'm sure you know the cintiq has more reflective properties, I tend to see a hazy reflection of myself in them, especially if its off. A cintiq on an easel is pretty abstract, if you're going for realistic it may help just to put it on a table. Apart from that it made me smile which is good. :)