Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gladiator - first character for portfolio, feedback appreciated

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jakub interpolator
Hello,

It's been around 18months since I first launched a 3D modeling app and throughout that time I've been trying to learn a lot(mostly Zbrush and some other tools).
Considering, that I'd like to work in industry in a year or two, I decided it's time to get my first portfolio piece. That will allow me understand some programs and workflow a little bit more.
I know that people usually post their work after they're done with it, but I'd like to do it the other way around, I want to create the character from base to finish receiving feedback from you guys. That will allow me to eliminate fundamental mistakes right away.

I decided to create a Gladiator. Thanks to that, the viewer will have an idea how good are my anatomy and drapery/armor skills.

Tools that I'll be using: Maya, Zbrush, Topogun, UVLayout and probably SD/SP or Mari(still can't decide which one I'd like to learn).

I am not planning to add post everyday, unless I'll do some crucial additions that might require review :)

No talking anymore, time for some action! I will be really glad for help that I receive, and comments and criticism is extremely welcome.

I am not using any particular concept, I am simply stealing ideas from few of them that I found on pinterest. Also, I've finished Spartacus(TV Series) recently, so I got some inspiration from there :D

SVsMl7H.jpg

hXoqyYG.jpg

p5vsW2G.jpg

sto7j37.png

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• TheWalkerGod
    Well first off you have noticeable seams at the head and neck. Second, the proportions of the chest, obliques, and abs look off to me, like there too squat and compressed together when they should be more stretched out. Its possible the clothing's throwing me off, could you post a picture without the clothing? Maybe a wireframe view too?
  • Juras
    Offline / Send Message
    Juras polycounter lvl 4
    I'd say it's good start! Anatomy is solid, all the muscles don't always have to be "ideal" as every person has different genetics, and therefore some of their muscles like chest can look a bit different compared to others. Same applies to the core muscles, but I'm sure you will still improve those.

The feet and the hands are too small though compared to the rest of the body so don't be afraid to make those bigger to improve your proportions.

Keep up the good work! :)
  • Bummer6
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, as Juras said, the hands look a bit puny and ladylike at the moment. Other than that I'm loving it.
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    TheWalkerGod, body is not yet retopologized, it is still in dynamesh stage. Seams on the neck is noticeable, as it is still a different subtool. I should've mentioned that.

I want to be done with first line of cloth, finish the head and work on hands(I have most of the problems with those). I plan throwing in boots, so I won't really bother myself to work on feet a lot, but like you said Juras, I probably should make them larger.

Thanks for help guys :)
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    TheWalkerGod, as you asked

7RJmqMZ.jpg

Already made feet bigger :)
  • Juras
    Offline / Send Message
    Juras polycounter lvl 4
    I still think the feet are a bit too small. A good way to find the right size would be to look at the forearms. A foot is as long and about as big as a forearm ;)
  • Ashaman73
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    Really good start. Beside the hands and feets being too small, I would take a look at the chest/abs/obs. The are really defined compared to the rest of the body (back/legs), but this region is the hardest part to get muscle definition (you need a really low fat ratio or very big muscles). Therefor you should revisit either the back/legs (more muscle definition) or lower the front muscle definition.

Although revisit the upper trapeze, it looks quite muscular and defined compared to the rest of the back.
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Juras: good comparison, I'll do that! :)

Ashaman73 - I'd have never noticed that on my own, thanks. I will most likely add some muscle definition to back and legs, he's gladiator after all.
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Time for a little update :) I blocked out a some pieces of armor, adjusted size of hands and feet. Now I'll work on muscles a little bit more, I want to make thigh and back a little more muscular as suggested.

tA5cVn6.jpg
    IMLRieZ.jpg
    G30sstj.jpg
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Blocked out some more bits of the armor. Time to get him some proper hands right now and fix the anatomy in some places! And c&c's are welcome mates! :)

1Hqwxu2.jpg
    gz35UCq.jpg
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    An update :) Started working on the face a bit more

3BuXns3.jpg
    dsUvtEq.jpg