Home Unreal Engine

3dsMax / UE4 Tools

Replies

• Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Amatobahn polycounter lvl 7
    Tools have been updated locally. I will update with the fix once at home tonight.

I was silly and commented out the move to origin feature. As far as the naming convention goes, that is fixed as well. it was looping though weird and printing twice.

I will post again when the update is live.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome dude, looking forward to the update!
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. Updated to v1.3.0 with changes:

-fixed export naming issue adding additional ".fbx" on export.
    -fixed ability to move object(s) to origin.

Upcoming bug fixes:

a. automatically move pivot point of collision meshes tied to object to objects pivot point location before export. right now you must manually set the pivot to the objects location.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks yet again man. Working much better now.

I kinda liked the old functionality better, where it would export the selected object, naming the FBX file the same as the selected object. It was just one less step to have to click through when exporting. Maybe split the functionality into 2: 'Export as object name' and 'Export as specific name', the first exporting the FBX with the same name as the object selected (no dialog window for selecting a file), the latter option bring up a dialog window letting you name it differently? I think that'd be a good thing to have.

Also, the FBX export dialog seems to show all file types rather than just FBX files. Not sure if that's just me though.

Again, great work. This saves me a lot of time!
  • nicoj
    Hey just wanted to say thanks for this super handy tool Amatobahn!

I also have a little question :
    When I export using the fbx export option, I get my collision box moved to the origin as well as the mesh. Am I doing something wrong or is it something with the tool?

Thank you very much again
    Nico
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone still actively using this tool? I've got an update that needs a bit of testing and feedback. Improvements on collision setup and exporting.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Yep im still using it all the time man. Send me a PM if you need anything testing, or post a link up!

One thing I have noticed is that in the fbx export window where you type the name of your asset, it shows all file types, not just fbx files. Is there a way to force it to only show FBX files? Its quite hard to find the correct fbx when you can see all the textures etc.

Also, I wonder if itd be possible to remove the extra window that pops up when you hit export. The window I mean is the window that says 'export selected' or whatever. Im just thinking that I would save so much time if I could just hit export and it just reads the name of the object selected and exports straight away. Perhaps you could add the option of allowing selecting which fbx to export, but by default it just exports instantly as soon as you hit export.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    For Pogo's issue you should change line 156 to
    directory = getSaveFileName caption: "Export FBX"  types:"FBX(*.fbx)|*.fbx"

Cool stuff :) This was something MoP suggested way back when I made one of these for Maya but in Max you can store custom attributes on objects. So you could store the path for the object for rapid export so you dont have to select the fbx manually everytime.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    You're a star Haiddasalami :D Thanks bud!
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    haha thanks haiddasalami. I had changed the line before as a test for something else, but forgot to put it back :x
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, I still use this. I absolutely love the simplicity of it, no need to mess around with dozens of layers, dummy objects, parenting, etc.

There's a bug where if if you click the Setup UE Scene button, it seems to reset the grid spacing value to 10, but it doesn't update the value on the drop down bellow.

Also, when you select a mesh and click "Set Up Collision", would be great if it automatically auto completes with that meshes name, instead of asking you for a name.

Thanks for the tool man, again, love the simplicity of it.
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    There's a bug where if if you click the Setup UE Scene button, it seems to reset the grid spacing value to 10, but it doesn't update the value on the drop down bellow.

Also, when you select a mesh and click "Set Up Collision", would be great if it automatically auto completes with that meshes name, instead of asking you for a name.

I can fix the drop down menu to be updated to the correct value on reset.

The collision portion has been revamped to no longer asks for a name of the mesh. I'm having a few people test it out to see if it's functionality as I have it now works well and if there is any tweaks to make before releasing it. :)
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you for this great script!

If this isn't a big problem, it would be great if export feature took name from object, so I don't have to type it again in export window.
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Well, today I had problem with your script. When I exported something and then in UE4 I tried to reimport mesh, UE4 Editor goes freezing and after few seconds it crashes. I tried again after restart, but then I had info "Failed to import". When I use standard exporting method everything works fine.
  • PaulJCampbell
    For some reason My version doesn't come with a character reference.
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    I removed the character reference. I need to update the images for the tool. Decided it was best to not string along extra files along with the maxscript to keep a small disk space usage.
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen wrote: »
    Well, today I had problem with your script. When I exported something and then in UE4 I tried to reimport mesh, UE4 Editor goes freezing and after few seconds it crashes. I tried again after restart, but then I had info "Failed to import". When I use standard exporting method everything works fine.

Hm. Strange. I'll have to play around with some test cases. Did you have any odd characters in the file name, or anything that could help me reproduce the error?
  • Brashen
    Offline / Send Message
    Brashen polycounter lvl 9
    Excellent script!! Kudos to you for sharing it.
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    just to see what is coming in the future:
    magicderpMax.gif
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    I have put my complete 3dsMax/UE4 toolset on Gumroad.

gt_gr.png
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man, thanks for the update.

Although I had to revert to the old version because I get an error when trying to export an asset: http://i.imgur.com/4cAK1KG.jpg

Also, what exactly is the "Mark For Export" and "Unmark for Export" for exactly? It seems it just did the whole export process a lot more cumbersome.
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    Hey man, thanks for the update.

Although I had to revert to the old version because I get an error when trying to export an asset: http://i.imgur.com/4cAK1KG.jpg

Also, what exactly is the "Mark For Export" and "Unmark for Export" for exactly? It seems it just did the whole export process a lot more cumbersome.

Fix is coming, I will send you a link directly when it's updated.

The reason behind using mark for export, and unmark is a way to help verify on the back end which objects to export when running through the exporter For the batch process—A verification step.

I was also afraid to just batch export on all objects in the scene because some nodes may be unused, or non-geometry (point helpers, dummies, etc.) which would then throw an error.

If you'd like an option to force export on an object(s) without checking if they are set up I can add that in for you ;)

I'll e-mail you shortly with the correct script fix, and update what is being pushed out on Gumroad.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! :)
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Great stuff Gregg! Gonna try this new version today :)
  • cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Got my copy - you've added everything I wanted and it seems to be working great!
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k wrote: »
    Got my copy - you've added everything I wanted and it seems to be working great!

Glad to hear that! If you find anything else that will help let me know! :)
  • cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Suggestion: What if marking for export changed the objects wireframe color? Something innocuous that gave the user some feedback as to what was marked/unmarked?

I've been having issues with the export directories. I want to use directory override, so the FBX's always go to wherever my max file is, but it seems to work intermittently. I tend to have silent export and use object name turned on, if that helps.

Is the expected workflow that I check directory override, and then press the set project directory button? Because that seems to do something.

Another thing - my path usually doesn't fit in the space for the settings dialog...so I often don't know if the path is correct or not. Couldn't you use a text entry dialog? I think that widget defaults to showing you the end of the text and cutting off the front, instead of the beginning or the center. Bonus - you could copy/paste paths into the dialog?
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Suggestion: What if marking for export changed the objects wireframe color? Something innocuous that gave the user some feedback as to what was marked/unmarked?

I've been having issues with the export directories. I want to use directory override, so the FBX's always go to wherever my max file is, but it seems to work intermittently. I tend to have silent export and use object name turned on, if that helps.

Is the expected workflow that I check directory override, and then press the set project directory button? Because that seems to do something.

Another thing - my path usually doesn't fit in the space for the settings dialog...so I often don't know if the path is correct or not. Couldn't you use a text entry dialog? I think that widget defaults to showing you the end of the text and cutting off the front, instead of the beginning or the center. Bonus - you could copy/paste paths into the dialog?

These are all good ideas. I can look into setting those up for the next update. I'm going to be fixing the directory override - right now you have to check override and then click set up directory. In the future it will be more straightforward (which may be why it works here and there).

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I can get some of these ideas implemented soon.
  • Mark Dygert
    While jumping in and out of unreal and max I keep getting tripped up by the spacebar, so I set up a simple toggle to make the spacebar in max, behave like unreal and toggle between move rotate and scale.
    macroScript ToggleSpace
    Category:"VigTools"
    toolTip:"KBS ToggleSpace (Space)"
    (
    	global tooltype
    	if tooltype == "MoveTool" then (
    		Max Rotate
    		tooltype = "RotateTool"
    	)
    	else (
    		if tooltype == "RotateTool" then (
    			Max Scale
    			tooltype = "ScaleTool"
    		)
    		else (
    			if tooltype == "ScaleTool" then (
    				Max Move
    				tooltype = "MoveTool"
    			)
    			else (
    				Max Move
    				tooltype = "MoveTool"
    			)
    		)
    	)
    )

To install it:
    Copy the code and paste it into a new maxscript window (Main Menu > Maxscript > New script), evaluate it (Ctrl-e) and then in the Customize UI menu (under vigtools) and bind it to the spacebar. You don't have to save the script.
  • Mark Dygert
    Some of you might remember FBXPort? I changed it a bit.

FBXport2
    FBXport.jpg

What does it do?
    • It moves the currently selected object to 0, 0, 0.
    • It triangulates the mesh by adding a turn to poly modifier and sets the number of sides to 3 (if you have "tri?" checked on).
    • It forces the material name to match the object name (if you have "Mat?" checked on), which makes it easier to find in unreal.
    • It triggers FBX and sets the file name to match the objects name.
    • Then it removes the turn to poly modifier and puts the object back where it came from.

How to use it:
    Click ... next to the path, to set the export path which is usually "...\My Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject"
    Note: Don't select the content folder just the main project, the script will find the content folder.

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2336353/FBXport_v1.02.ms

To install:
    Option 1) If you want it to start up when max starts up and dock it at the top in the toolbar, save the script to your .../MaxInstallPath/scripts/startup/ folder and it will load up each time you start max.

Option 2) If you want to start it up manually, open the script in any text editor and drag the code into your toolbar and it will make a button, click it and it will start up FBXport.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10

Great ideas Carlos!
  • PsychicFreak
    just picked this up. Great tool man. I use cryengine at work so having to move the mesh to origin is an extra effort I'm not used to haha. Having it move it to origin and back is awesome :D
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that E3 is over and work isn't as hectic, I will be working on implementing some of these features into the toolset (also wanting to make it look pretty, too). Stay tuned and keep tossing out ideas you'd like to see.
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey.
    I've updated the scripts with the requested features from cman2k. I will take a day or so to test out the tools locally before pushing the update through Gumroad. If anything goes wrong on my end, I'll update this thread here. :P
  • cman2k
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated to v1.3.6!

https://gumroad.com/l/GregsTools

Changelog:

+ Added visual feedback when objects are marked and unmarked for export. (Colored wireframe)
    - Updated directory override bug where it would work seldomly. Now it should work as intended.
    - Changed file path settings allowing user to paste in full directory as well as making the path size large enough to view user path in full.

Next update will be a GUI overhaul. I'd like to make it look nice and clean. As always, if there is any bugs or feedback, post them here on this thread!

Cheers!
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Gonna give it a try tomorrow... thanks for makin it easy man!

metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-requisitos-pc.gif
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Amatobahn wrote: »
    Updated to v1.3.6!

Changelog:

+ Added visual feedback when objects are marked and unmarked for export. (Colored wireframe)

Question for ya

What's the chance of getting a list of what's marked instead of wireframe color? Or maybe the option? I'm specifically talking about something similar to what the cryexporter does for cryengine.

5zJP510.jpg

Wireframe color changing is great and works but it's making working/modeling in wireframe mode hard on the eyes. I do it often and having to change the wireframe color manually becomes tedious.

All I got, everything else is great!
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 wrote: »
    Question for ya

What's the chance of getting a list of what's marked instead of wireframe color? Or maybe the option? I'm specifically talking about something similar to what the cryexporter does for cryengine.

5zJP510.jpg

Wireframe color changing is great and works but it's making working/modeling in wireframe mode hard on the eyes. I do it often and having to change the wireframe color manually becomes tedious.

All I got, everything else is great!

I can make that happen! How about I add that feature as a subrollout of the tool? :)
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds wonderful =) Appreciate it a lot!
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated Greg's Tools! Tell your friends :D

https://gumroad.com/l/GregsTools#

v1.3.7:
    - 'Patched' exporting with collision. Still has some limitations. (still deciding the best route to approach this)
    + Created new Tool UI with subrollout per category.
    + Added new interface for marking/unmarking asset for export feature. (Kbrom12)
    + Added ability to import custom reference mesh besides box.

I'm also looking to know what new feature(s) could further help workflow.
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    The new interface for marking/unmarking is perfect, thanks again Greg :thumbup:
  • cdavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    Getting a UE4 crash on import when using these buddy.

Imports the fbx fine if not using the tools to export tho.

max 2016 , UE 4.9.1
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson wrote: »
    Getting a UE4 crash on import when using these buddy.

Imports the fbx fine if not using the tools to export tho.

max 2016 , UE 4.9.1

I have yet to thoroughly test the newest version of the tool on 2016. I tend to be weary of updating to a new release immediately. Also, Be sure to set your fbx version to FBX 2014 as well, I don't have the tool set to do that, yet. I'll try and see what I can figure out on my end.

Are you exporting with or without collision?
    What settings do you have enabled for export in the settings dialog, if any?
    At what point does UE4 crash on the import process?

One quick test you can do for me is reimport the fbx that is exported from the tool into a new max file, and shoot me a screen shot of the Schematic View. Curious to see if 2016 handles nodes differently.

Thanks!
  • cdavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah its set to export as 2014/2015

Crashes as soon as u click "open" on file select when importing.
    without collision

Settings ive tried with default and with move to origin and use object name.
    both same result.

attached schematic view after reimporting into max.
    and settings image.
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'll take a look at it tonight when I get home from work. :)
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Same setup and same issue for me.
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    @cDavidson and @Mant1k0re

Tested on new Max 2016 trial install today (Sunday). Ran into the the same issue only to find that the FBX settings (by default on new install) within Max 2016 was causing the error.

After changing the settings, and using the tool again to export, it imported into UE4 as expected. (Tested with multiple objects).

Be sure to have the correct FBX settings shown here: via UE4 Static Mesh Pipeline
    max_export_4.jpg

Next update I'll force change the settings to incorporate the correct FBX dialog settings.

Feel free to let me know if there is anything else occuring.
  • cdavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    That fixed it mate.
    thanks for taking the time, all good now :)
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Likewise, thank you for looking into this :)
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there Greg, possible bug to report here. It seems when clicking the set up collision button it switches the marquee selection to the next in line. It's the same as hitting 'Q' in max if you havn't changed that hotkey.

If this is a bug great but if not can you reference me to the part of the maxscipt to where I can maybe disable this? Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/ONdTt1h.jpg