Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

League of Legend environment fanart

Daniel Duy
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Daniel Duy polycounter lvl 5
[php][/php]Hello Polycount.

We are a group of students working on a League of Legend fan-made map. This project include environment, characters with animations and hopefully some music :poly124:. We actually have lore for the map and some concept for game play but we only focus on the art side.

The idea is to create an environment with different themes and try to bend those themes together. It's pretty challenging but we hope we could come out with something cool :poly121:

I'm team leader and work mostly on concept art for character, environment and environment modeling and texturing. I'm So lucky having such a good team :poly124:

This is still WIP and we will update more as we get stuffs done :poly122:.

Here is what we have so far.

Gameplay and Lore ideas

7h4GN1s.jpg
eGVzGax.png

3D environment

8AXkhEB.jpg
ShtiTF5.jpg
AaV0P7F.jpg
SsRz1VD.jpg
oCn2NCF.jpg
fm7OU8a.jpg

3D characters

duuLVTd.png
tppTypu.jpg
WzSIzjw.jpg
lGvoB4f.jpg

Replies

• Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    This looks amazing! cant wait to see the primal yordle :D
  • Christian Nordgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    looks freaking amazing, I want to play on that level!
  • MephistonX
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking awesome, I really like the depth to the environment, keep at it, I want to see this complete!
  • TOBSn08
    Offline / Send Message
    TOBSn08 polycounter lvl 7
    uhm yeah, love this idea! Looks amazing already, can't wait to see more!
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    That's so awesome!
    It fits the league style perfectly :D
    Can't wait to see the finished environment!
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. Really glad that you like the idea. Our members will post their part when they finish. Many more to come :)
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    Super slick! I'd love to know a bit about your process! The info I could get out of your other threads you use a tiling texture as a base for the rock, and paint over with 3dcoat in the same perspective as the scene? Or is it purely photoshop?

Either way, I'm super inspired and would love to tackle a scene in locked perspective! :D
  • theblueturtle_
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    love this idea. it looks like u guys did quite a bit of homework. good luck!
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Dude! This is great! Awesome to seeing you building off your work. Love your handpainted textures! Looking forward to seeing more. :D
  • HandSandwich
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work so far. Sub'd :)
  • Elyaradine
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Are you guys only doing the art, or do you intend to make this thing playable too? :)
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    League of Legends? You mean League of Losers, right? Just kidding, This is some hella dope hand painted textures.
  • ooyoo
    Offline / Send Message
    ooyoo polycounter lvl 4
    Hello polycount

@Jakob Gavelli it is a mixture of both, depending on if the asset is unique or not

@Elyaradine we are primarily just doing the art but with a bit of game play thought out so who knows??
  • Dragonar
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    Woa super mega cool xD continue !!!!! If you can pust a little image that explain your workflow it will be super cool :) ( I talking about your texturing )

Keep it up !!!!
  • Chronicle
    Offline / Send Message
    Chronicle polycounter lvl 5
    Looking excellent. I too would love to hear about your workflow for this. These look brilliant.
  • Rebecca Nix
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Whoa this is great!

Just some feedback from my experience making Starcraft maps. Archways tend to obstruct the player's field of view even if its made to fade by the game the engine. This is why you never really see them in current MOBA/RTS maps like Dota and LoL.

Visuals wise, this is pretty darn amazing. Keep up the good work.
  • le0tard
    Offline / Send Message
    le0tard polycounter lvl 9
    yeah, I agree with "amazing!".
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    its looking nice but your contrasts and lumiance seem pretty off and there is a lot of potential left there. Try playing around with curves a bit or simple use a LUT if you are using a game engine

I hope you dont mind me bloating your thread

Top: Contrast and luminance change, Bot: Original

Edit: It looks like you dont need too much contrast, the exposure is the main issue, and increasing it makes it a lot nicer
    https://hostr.co/file/AusyqdNp9iKa/expos.png

Something about the lighting of the crystal looks strange as well

compar.png
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    On board completely with Shrike's lighting and post proc critique. Though I think his paintover was has a little too much overall brightening, I think you should create a lot more contrast within overall scene values, and use the players, enemies, and the crystal as the focal points when at grey scale.

IMO his saturation adjustments are on point though, completely.
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    You sure you guys are not Riot employees? XD
    Supernice work guys...
  • haZe
    Offline / Send Message
    haZe greentooth
    Solid work.

Going to echo/agree with Add3r here as I feel it's important. If this was simply personal work without context, bumping the contrast may present the work better, but as in-game assets, the world's value/contrast range has to be more neutral so that the buildings and characters pop visually [and to align with LoL's other maps]. I believe your current approach is in line with this.

Can't wait to see this finished. Subbed.
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    its looking nice but your contrasts and lumiance seem pretty off and there is a lot of potential left there. Try playing around with curves a bit or simple use a LUT if you are using a game engine

I hope you dont mind me bloating your thread

Top: Contrast and luminance change, Bot: Original

Edit: It looks like you dont need too much contrast, the exposure is the main issue, and increasing it makes it a lot nicer
    https://hostr.co/file/AusyqdNp9iKa/expos.png

Something about the lighting of the crystal looks strange as well

compar.png

Thank you, That's so nice to see stuff more contrast, the forms work better too. Really good critique.
    We still in WIP so we're going to vring stuff to 6o-70%, to make sure everything is there first, then we properly will polish more :). But we also consider the element hierarchy. So it go like this: Effect, Character, Environment, The ground. So during the polish stage we will have better control on that. Thank you.
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT wrote: »
    Whoa this is great!

Just some feedback from my experience making Starcraft maps. Archways tend to obstruct the player's field of view even if its made to fade by the game the engine. This is why you never really see them in current MOBA/RTS maps like Dota and LoL.

Visuals wise, this is pretty darn amazing. Keep up the good work.

Thank you, we mostly focus on art, the gameplay is just mostly concepts, ideas. We know that this totally unplayable :poly136:. But it's just fun to think about gameplay though.
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl wrote: »
    Dude! This is great! Awesome to seeing you building off your work. Love your handpainted textures! Looking forward to seeing more. :D

Thank you Owl. I can not do this sure but I have a really talented team. They help me a lot. So cool to work with friends :)
  • carlobarley
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys, helping here to improve my skills, Duy (pronounced YU-EE-YY) provided me with the awesome concept for the shopkeeper to work with, Here's the highpoly and game mesh. currently at 5k+ tris

aINKtva.jpg

WfJTG5w.jpg

uRzHRiS.png

8g5V2fy.jpg

and then if anyone interested here are the support maps to aid in texturing :)

yLtJ335.png

my friend, ribtibs will take this to the next level, peace!
  • Ribtibs
    sru_shopkeeper_by_rribot-d8m57v7.jpg

Had the pleasure of texturing this bad boy :D
  • Snafubar7
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome stuff guys :) paint like hell.
  • nightblue
    Wow, looking great guys! Love how epic and interesting everything looks so far. Can't wait to see more :)
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    We've finally done with this semester. Fail to execute everything but this is what we got so far. Some update and I finish almost all the required concepts. We decided to push the deadline further so we have more time to polish. That was really nice working in collaborative environment :)

Cp9NiKQ.jpg
    JfM2jAW.jpg
    f4CMbtS.jpg
    guPoma1.png
    ZhwpLnq.png
    0p8Y1vm.png
    lwoOujK.png
    kWmffDZ.png
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Man Riot should just add you guys to the team right off the bat! These updates are really great!.
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    all of this looks so awesomely beautiful, you guys just made me cry!
    Great work in here! Saving everything into my inspiration folder...
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    These are some really interested pieces! Great to see the collaboration it seems like it worked out well :D Seems to match the style pretty closely to me.
  • nightblue
    This looks fantastic!!! Great work for all involved. Really fun and well-executed. GG :)
  • XmAnteR
    Hello :)
    You guys have a Facebook page?
    I am the representative of TADT Team, a Spanish Facebook page of League of Legends News.
    Let me tell you have done a great job. And you dont have nothing to envy Riot.

If you understand Spanish, check this post: https://www.facebook.com/TADTeam/posts/966934839985517
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all the support. We're really happy that people like our map. This is still WIP, we try to have a video flight through at the end of the yeah and try to polish everything as much as possible. :)
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    XmAnteR wrote: »
    Hello :)
    You guys have a Facebook page?
    I am the representative of TADT Team, a Spanish Facebook page of League of Legends News.
    Let me tell you have done a great job. And you dont have nothing to envy Riot.

If you understand Spanish, check this post: https://www.facebook.com/TADTeam/posts/966934839985517

We have a Facebook working group but not an actual page.

I will ask if any of my member know Spanish. :poly122:
  • DingoSniper
    Offline / Send Message
    DingoSniper polycounter lvl 2
    Daniel Duy wrote: »
    We've finally done with this semester. Fail to execute everything but this is what we got so far. Some update and I finish almost all the required concepts. We decided to push the deadline further so we have more time to polish. That was really nice working in collaborative environment :)

Cp9NiKQ.jpg
    JfM2jAW.jpg
    f4CMbtS.jpg
    guPoma1.png
    ZhwpLnq.png
    0p8Y1vm.png
    lwoOujK.png
    kWmffDZ.png

Hey Daniel.

I'm just curious to know how you went about replicating riots art style (or well, exact super freakin similar looking) in this? Been trying to do something similar for a comic series i'm working on since its got this nice cartoony look to it but i haven't exactly been able to nail it (i did work in paint tool sai alot so i probably screwed my self over a bit working in that more so then PS) and i was wondering if you'd be able to offer pointers?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Very well done! Good job guys!

- BoBo
  • Jonas DM
    Wow, these creations are of very good quality! I'm amazed by the fact you're all still students. I guess there lies a promising career in front of many of you!
  • PEET?
    Offline / Send Message
    PEET? polycounter lvl 5
    Inspiring work. GG!
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    PEET? wrote: »
    Inspiring work. GG!

omg, PEET, thank you, I've learn a ton and we will work more on this :thumbup:
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Daniel.

I'm just curious to know how you went about replicating riots art style (or well, exact super freakin similar looking) in this? Been trying to do something similar for a comic series i'm working on since its got this nice cartoony look to it but i haven't exactly been able to nail it (i did work in paint tool sai alot so i probably screwed my self over a bit working in that more so then PS) and i was wondering if you'd be able to offer pointers?

Hey, thank you for you commnet. I'm lucky have a chance to work as environment intern in Riot Games last year so it makes sense that my environment work very similar to Summoner Rift. About the character concepts, mostly I influence by art like WOW, LOL, Draksider... They are stylized but have a comic taste. Mostly I exaggerate the shapes to push characteristic, enhance color saturation to control focal point and try to have a nice flow in every design. I mainly use PS and one simple round brush. Hope it helps :poly136:
  • matanew
    Hola, he leido el post y el mapa y me a gustado mucho (tanto que me gustaria dar mi opinion de como deberia ser las mecanicas, habilidades de los bichos, eventos, etc) haber si os gusta y asi ir mejorando este mapa por si mas adelante Riot diera el visto bueno y fuera lanzado en su juego.

PD: el post esta hecho al Espa
  • matanew
    El estilo de juego por lo que e podido observar seria en plan el abismo de los lamentos (por ser solo 1 calle con torres y con solo 1 camino para llegar al nexo y destruirlo) + El bosque retorcido (por tener una jungla en comun [bueno en el bosque hay 2 trozos de jungla separados pero se pueden llegar rapidamente de una a la otra por el camino del medio de la jungla] y por las zonas de captura que hay para dar mejoras a tu equipo [aunque esto lo cambiaria un poco] + el mapa de Shuriman (el que estubo unas semanas jugable en el cual xerath estaba en medio y quien lo matara obtenia un buffo bastante cheto, en este caso seria The Warden) dando lugar a un mapa bastante interesante y en mi opinion dando lugar incluso a un nuevo tipo de mapa jugable (esto lo comentare en el siguiente post donde expondre las mejoras que en mi opinion, darian mas vida a este tipo de mapa).

Mecanicas: Si no entiendo mal seria como en todos los mapas que hay ahora mismo (exepto dominion) en los cuales gana el equipo que destruya el nexo enemigo y para llegar hasta el, hay primero que destruir las torretas y el inividor enemigo, mientras sorteamos a los minions y campeones enemigos. Tambien una mecanica que me llama mucho la atencion de este mapa no es ya solo que tambien haya jungla (que si se plantea y se hace de forma correcta daria muchos tipos de juego distinto en jungla Ragnar [esto lo explicare en el siguiente mensaje]) esta el boss que hay arriba llamado The Warden el cual dara un buffo considerable al equipo que lo mate (aunque en mi opinion deberia solamente darlo al que lo mate aunque esto lo explicare en el siguiente post) dando una ventaja que en mi caso deberia ser decisiva (y por ello el boss ser dificil y solo accesible a el a mediados de la partida [min 15 si las partidas se quieren de 20-25 minutos o min 20 si se quiere que la partida sea de 30-40 min y dependiendo de la duracion este boss sea mas facil o dificil y que de un buffo mas potente o no]) pudiendo hacerse 3 tipos de estrategias.

- A lo Aram: llendo todos al medio estilo aram para destruir el nexo lo antes posible y ganar

- Clasico: Esta estrategia se jugaria mas o menos como se juega en la grieta del invocador que seria con 3 personas jugando en calles y 2 solamente en jungla(pudiendo ser o bien 2 campeones con smite o un campeon de jungla con smite y un support [ya que esta jungla deberia ser mas dificil que las que conocemos haciendo inviable que un solo jungla pueda con todos sin ayuda]) cogiendo buffos y en caso exepcional que la gente se mueva de la linea central para ayudar al jungla a coger objetivos (para tomar las zonas de capturas para obtener buffos y matar al Ragnar para obtener el buffo que de a la party (estilo Nashor) para ganar ventaja contra los contrarios e ir a ganar.

- Jungla: (composicion: 1-2 en la calle central y el resto en jungla y que min 3 del equipo lleven smites)En esta estrategia seria al contrario que las otras y la diferencia consistiria que hiria mas gente a la jungla en vez de a la linea...y dires porque? (aunque para entenderlo del todo tendreis que leer el segundo mensaje que publicare ahora mas tarde) Simple, primero las torres (en caso de haber solo 1 al final) estas sera, mucho mas dura, con mas vida y mas da
  • matanew
  • matanew
    Mecanicas del mapa: no se podran comprar trinkets ni wards aunque si el machete de jungla con todos sus evoluciones.

Torres: La vida de las torres seran el doble/tiple y su armadura/resistencia un 30-50% mas altas que las torres de el abismo de los lamentos para asi alargar un poco la partida y ser un poco mas dificil tirar las torres (ya que con los buffos y la ayuda de Ragnar se tirarian muy rapidamente).

Mapa: ( http://i.imgur.com/eGVzGax.png )

Mecanicas de las zonas conquistables: estas zonas (llamemoles pilares) solo seran posibles capturarlas al minuto 3 y se tendra que esperar un minuto para ser capturadas de nuevo, cuando se tienen 3 capturadas (aunque no sean del mismo equipo) se desbloqueara la zona donde reside Ragna, para bien matarlo o bien para Soltarlo y que nos ayude. Segun vayamos acumulando los pilares nos iran dando ciertos buffos (estos buffos estan dise
  • loldiomar
    ‪#‎MapaPrisionEternaLOL‬
  • Panayiotis Petsas
    Hi, I must say this is really impressive work! I'd like to ask some questions if possible.
    1. What is the age group of the students?
    2. What jobs can be pursued by doing this? If possible name what should be studied in university for this.

Thank you!