Home General Discussion

Daredevil on Netflix

mod
Anyone watching this? I`m on the forth episode so far, and holy hell, I`m enjoying every minute of it. The fighting is insanely good, and the camera cuts are actually really good. They zoom out so you can see the action, rather than a whole lot of quick cuts, like you see in most movies.

So far, so good. Exactly what I was hoping for with this show. Exactly.

Great characters. Great action. Great overall art direction.

HIGHLY recommending this if you are the least bit interested. Easily the best comic show so far.

Replies

• Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I'm about three episodes in and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. I came into it with extremely low expectations because I thought most of the trailers and marketing looked like crap, so I've been consistently surprised at the acting and pacing.

Also, the fight between Matt and the gangsters in the hallway was one of the best fight scenes I've watched in a very long time. Very impressed.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I can't tell if Wilson Fisk is a hero that rises above his naysayers, or is a bad dude.

He's fighting for his dream man. And people trying to stop him, or don't understand.

On a side note, I appreciate that they have the Daredevil actually heave on the floor after each skirmish, especially in a larger fight. I think not only was it a really good beat of rest for viewers, but it just made the fights that much more "real" to me. Mind you, I don't know if people actually do that in a real martial arts fight, but it seemed reasonable that, hey, after 30 seconds of swinging and kicking you'd take the opportunity to breathe with your back on the floor. And then adrenaline kicks right back in as a couple more people come.
  • slipsius
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Also, the fight between Matt and the gangsters in the hallway was one of the best fight scenes I've watched in a very long time. Very impressed.

Absolutely!!! That was such a great sequence. I especially liked how it was pretty much 1 long camera shot, and you could actually SEE the action going on. not just a bunch of close up, fast cuts. But that long cut was just perfection.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Im almost 6 episodes in and it just gets better and better. Definately the best show Ive seen in a while.
    I love the small nods to the larger MCU.
  • Chantel-sky
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    Swizzle wrote: »

Agreed!
    I stayed up nearly all night, couldn't stop watching.. that is until I fell asleep after episode 3 ended lol
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    This show is so good. Four episodes in and I feel it has already outclassed most of the cinematic universe.

Love how brutal the fight scenes are. Especially since I am so sick of the ballerina choreographed fights you see in everything these days. I also love the heavy noir elements and the fact that almost everything seems to backfire on Matt Murdock. I really hope all the defenders series will be this good.
  • bounchfx
    started watching because of this thread

really glad I did. I never cared about daredevil in the slightest but man this show is really interesting and well done. On ep 4 now and loving it!
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It's well made, but I can't say I'm particularly enjoying it after the first episode. I think the scenario and setting are a bit too outlandish to sit well with the dour, humourless tone they're trying their little hearts out to cram in there. The characters are living in the aftermath of the Avengers, in all it's wonderful ridiculousness, but the series pushes for the realistic style of something like the Wire which just highlights the silliness of Murdoch's blind superhero.

They don't need to go for Agents of Shield's Buffy fluffiness by any stretch, but I'm inclined to think the show would work a whole lot better if it had a little bit of fun with the scenario and left the morose stuff to DC.

That said, I've only watched a single episode. Maybe once things kick off a bit, the problems will fade into the background. It's not bad by any stretch, but I could take or leave it at this point. Will give it a couple more episodes.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I watch this 3 eps in so far. Really enjoying it.

Usually I don't watch superhero movies/shows much. I watch 2 spidermans, 2 ironmans, 2 darkknights, didn't watch avengers or cap merica 2, or man of steel. I watch 2ep of Agent Carter, 3 eps of Flash, and maybe 4-5 eps of Agents of Shield. That's it. I think.

Matt in the Hallway to rescue the kid was an amazing scene. I rewatched a couple times right away because the camera-work was awesome and fight choreography was good.

I'm having trouble remembering faces and names, though :(
  • AkinAdekile
    Cant wait to watch it.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, its pretty amazing! I would love a punisher show like this. Just gimme the Wire with the Punisher dropped in and I could die happy.
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Already watched the whole season...it is just fantastic! I enjoyed it as much as Arrow and Flash.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Still love the show. I am halfway through. Stuff is now reminding me a lot of Ninja Turtles which makes sense cause Ninja Turtles was a parody of the Frank Miller Daredevil.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I was never interested in Daredevil over the years, and wasn't too excited back when I first heard about the show was announced. But holy hell is it one of the best shows I've seen in a while.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I just finished the season finale on Netflix and I must say I really liked it, and I really like the Fish character, he looks big and like the comic, and when he gets mad he is really mean.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Just finished it, I really loved it! I actually came in with pretty high hopes, and this surpassed them. I'm really glad they brought their A-game with this series, and I hope it's just an indicator of things to come with their future shows.

The tone is brutally different though, it's hard to believe this exists in the same universe as a show like "Agents of SHIELD". For some reason I specifically recall reading a story arc during the Bendis/Maleev run on Daredevil(highly recommended) that features a character named 'Madam Masque' who is currently in the Agents of SHIELD show, and then I thought of how it would look dropping that version into this show... it just wouldn't work at all. I'm not complaining, I like both shows and I'm glad they tackled Daredevil this way, but it just surprised me how dark and sometimes disturbing it is given the tone Marvel has created thus far.
    Also, I wish they hadn't shown the final red costume a day before the show was released, especially considering he only wears it during one scene. That would have been a nice surprise, instead I was wondering all season when it would show up.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm done. It's just a bit too bleak for my tastes. Kinda curious whether it pulls in any fantastical elements later in the series though or whether it's all mook punching.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I've only seen the first episode so far but damn! I love the intro credits, and the montage at the end of episode 1 I actually had to watch twice...that music, and all the bad guys, so satisfying to watch.

I like that it's subtle in it's references to the rest of the MCU. I'm getting so tired of the goofy Agents of Shield stuff.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    love it...devoured it....lots of cool easter eggs...love how they portrayed Fisk...it's pretty spot on with the 616-earth DD
    Pretty sure that was Stone, Stick was talking to at the end of the Stick episode..Also nods to Iron Fist with the Triad...also the Fucking Hand..they keep going down this road and we are going to see Bullseye, Electra..the whole line of uber assasins come to kill DD..Think the Black Sky ref is geared towards the Demon that controls the hand...My inner comic nerd is pleased

@Jackablade this is kind of like Daredevil year one..he's finding his place...if it keeps taking nods from the Frank Miller DD run we're bound to see a better class of villians...although by opting out early you are missing some great fights...it's not everyone's cup of tea though..it will probably get a bit more out there with the Defenders..Iron Fist has a bunch of Mystical elements.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would get a 13 hour Daredevil Movie!
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's definitely a well put together show, but I'm that guy who didn't like Breaking Bad for similar reasons. The part in the second episode where they're
    torturing the guy and the doctor suggests stabbing him in the opthalmic nerve
    felt like a bit much.

That fight in the towards the end of that episode was a pretty impressive piece of footage though. Seems like the fight choreographer might be a fan of the original Oldboy movie.
  • Teessider
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    Watched the whole series in one sitting at the weekend because it was REALLY good.

I would recommend it!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    My views on this so far (i've watched up to ep-5 now):

1. it's a bit too grimdark to fit in with the rest of the current marvel cinematic universe... particularly
    Fisk removing someone's skull with a car door
    . Don't get me wrong, i love the characterisation and i like that they're pushing boundaries, but with some of the more obvious hints toward some of the other MCU events, i just feel like it doesn't fit in overall. This would be a PERFECT batman tv show though.

2. The overall production values seem to be way better than Agents of SHIELD. Which is pretty cool, but now i just want AoS to be better lol.
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    To me personally it's a decent show. It's not terrible by any means but I'm not sitting at the edge of my seat gnawing my fingernails off going "can't wait to see what happens next"

Way better than what Flash had to offer though.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm loving it so far. I tried pushing through them all, yesterday. I had to take a break, for Game of Thrones, then finished up ep 10. I can't wait for the final three.

Are their bad moments? Sure, but I don't expect perfection. Every series has a few off episodes. I find it way better than Agents of Shield, and it even managed to get my wife hooked in, and she's usually really critical about comic book heroes that she's not familiar with.

I really would like to see him carry over to do a cameo in the some of the Marvel movies.
  • X-One
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    I'll have to check this out. I'm a DD fan, so I have my reservations, but given the general positive feedback, I'll give it a go.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's awesome!!!

He is a little mean though.

Also, I'd like some more clever legal drama intermixed with his crime fighting. I'm sure we'll get some later, but I always liked that part of Daredevil. He's like Matlock, except with more punching.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I definitely could have gone with more legal actions, than what they presented, but after episode 10 (where I left off), I suspect that will change.
    After Froggy discovers him, and preaches Matt's words back at him, about justice through the legal system.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    1. it's a bit too grimdark to fit in with the rest of the current marvel cinematic universe...

I would disagree. In the comics the 616 universe has been shared for decades, and they've had plenty of stuff more grim than that car scene while still having books and characters like Squirrel Girl. It's not uncommon for one title to carry a different tone than another, especially when one deals with cosmic-level threats and super powers while another is very street-level. MCU Thor might be busy punching frost giants, but its not like the rest of the MCU world is free from everyday brutality. That's why characters like Daredevil and the Punisher exist in the first place.
  • bounchfx
    this show seriously keeps getting better

also I love how apparently everyone is amazing at martial arts. The fights are fun to watch, they feel fresh after how hollywood has treated fight scenes for the past while
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    Daredevil...
    it does seem to take itself too damn seriously, which leads to some unintentional comedy.
    for example i'm not sure what the whole deal with the translators and speaking different languages,
    and then suddenly we speak english thing was all about. seemed forced and silly.
    "i speak chinese, and you didn't know!" "yeah well, i speak english, and you didn't know!"
    not to mention fish' chinese and japanese are both cringeworthily badly pronounced.
    japanese guy character seems very forced. one-dimensional very serious very bad guy.

Breaking bad, while dark, had some great bizarre pitch black humor. one particular scene with a bath tub comes to mind. this one.. nothing. well i guess that one scene with the russian.

as for the fights, not the greatest i've seen. most of them are very dark, so what you see are some flying kicks, and then hear a lot of punching noises.
    a good fight would be oberyn vs the mountain in GoT. or anything bruce lee. or Ong bak.
    guess i'm jaded.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    What I like, about the fight scenes, are they feel more real. Take for instance the Batman movies. When he takes on the side criminals, everyone goes down in one hit. Like Batman has some mystical power, that allows him to hit everyone at the precious point, in their temple, to knock them out with one hit. But whenever he takes on a boss, the boss takes many blows, and when Batman gets hit, it just causes some head movement, or a slight stumble.

With Daredevil, it takes time to take someone down. And if I had any complaint, it would be sometimes it takes too long. These should be veteran criminals, who know how to fight, so I like that they fight back, and you can tell the affect it has on Daredevil. He gets winded... he bleeds... he adapts.

I will say, the punching sound does stand out a little too much. I think they were trying to create a more 'punishing' feel, by ramping up the impact sound, but when it's obvious enough, to break me out of the scene, then maybe you've ramped it up too much.
  • vargatom
    One thing about the hallway fight in episode 2 is that if you look just a little bit carefully, you can see a few cases where there's been cuts masked out in post.

But I don't mean to belittle the scene in any way, it's absolutely amazing and very well executed. And most big movies with such long takes have also used plenty of VFX cheats to mix together different takes - as long as it works, who cares? :)
  • vargatom
    Oh and Charlie Cox is definitely big screen worth talent. After all he's already been in the totally cool Stardust movie, casting him seems like a pretty well calculated move. Now that the series seem to be a great success, it seems to be inevitable to get DD into at least one major Marvel movie.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the tonal discrepancy between Daredevil and the rest of the Marvel franchise might be a bigger issue when it comes to the movies. That's not to say you wouldn't see him strolling out to register (or not) in Civil War for example.
  • X-One
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Watched the first two episodes thus far. I like the direction. I can understand the gripe some people might have with the contrast in tone between DD and the current line of Film/TV productions, but this is far more in line with the tone of the comics.

I kind of feel like Marvel has to separate DD (and other similar heroes like Punisher, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Blaze) from the other, more mainstream, Marvel properties. Marvel Knights characters are quite dark and brutal in tone, and I don't want it softened up. It would feel wrong to me if it was.

The thing about DD is the he kinda gets his ass kicked all the time. He can't really hope to hold his own against any real super villain. His life pretty much always constantly sucks. Any joy he ever has in his life is pretty much just the calm before the storm.

Having only gotten through two episodes thus far, I am interested in how they handle the mystical stuff (Stick, The Hand, Chaste, Mephisto).

Obviously, just my opinion.
  • vargatom
    Actually, some of the Marvel movies are starting to go into darker territories; the most obvious example is CA2. The next one is almost certainly going to get even more serious, based on what I've heard about the Civil War storyline. Avengers 2 is also something we don't yet know enough about, it could become darker as well; and if they're ever going to make a Black Widow flick, that should also be quite grim.

So I can see Marvel following very different directions in the future in the various titles, and so there'd be a place for the Daredevil character in those movies. Definitely not in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 though ;)
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    My girlfriend told me : It's awesome you gonna like it!
    Folks at work love it as well.

I read this article:
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/15/8421775/daredevil-netflix-kingpin-marvel

And still, when I ear Daredevil I can only think of Ben Affleck and Evanescence and it make me want to barf.... I can't believe he will be doing the next batman's
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Finished it!

Last episode was the weakest. Still a great series though.

Also Karen sucks.
  • Chantel-sky
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally finished DD. Last episode felt kinda rushed to me, but I enjoyed it.
    Clos3d wrote: »
    And still, when I ear Daredevil I can only think of Ben Affleck and Evanescence and it make me want to barf.... I can't believe he will be doing the next batman's

I have tried to block that out as much as possible and had nearly forgotten about it, so thanks for reminding me lol :(

Also does anyone else think Debra Ann Woll (Karen) seem out of place in the show?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Karen just seemed to have no real "point" in the show. She was basically a living plot device, pushing forward peoples plotlines just because she wanted something to get done, but they were all things that i felt could have naturally concluded themselves anyway.

Overall the show was nice, it had (seemingly) high production values and overall better storytelling than Agents of Shield, which kinda sucks because Agents of Shield is the "flagship" show.

Daredevil (in my opinion) will be a good challenger for Arrow when it comes to tv based comic book shows. The only problem is limiting it to Netflix, at least in the UK where Netflix sucks a fat one.
  • Chantel-sky
    Offline / Send Message
    Karen just seemed to have no real "point" in the show. She was basically a living plot device, pushing forward peoples plotlines just because she wanted something to get done, but they were all things that i felt could have naturally concluded themselves anyway.

Overall the show was nice, it had (seemingly) high production values and overall better storytelling than Agents of Shield, which kinda sucks because Agents of Shield is the "flagship" show.

Daredevil (in my opinion) will be a good challenger for Arrow when it comes to tv based comic book shows. The only problem is limiting it to Netflix, at least in the UK where Netflix sucks a fat one.

I couldn't agree more with you! I didn't find her acting that great either, that probably has something to do with the "living plot device".

I couldn't get into Arrow, I tried to but I'd end up falling asleep. Netflix hasn't been in Australia for very long.. not a lot of content, good content anyways lol.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I felt like Karen is there to serve as the 'glue' holding Foggy and Matt together. Problem is, I don't really think they did a good job with that aspect, and didn't really even provide a need for Foggy either... at least not until the end. Hopefully they'll both serve more purpose, in the next season.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    love the fighting, the rest is okay but can't get over how well he interacts with the world... maybe further episodes will explain more about that? but being able to find and use a lock on a door with out needing to feel for is too much for me, the little things like that would help ground his character a bit more into reality

(the lock was placed higher up on the door, not the usual spot and there are a few examples of this - I know it sounds like im nit-picking but come on, is he blind or not? lol )
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    He is not blind blind. He got chemicals in his eyes which made him blind, but his other senses got unnaturally stronger, so he can sense things that you shouldn't be able to. For example there is an episode where you see Stick talk with the kid about this and tell him to describe the people around him, and you see how much he actually 'see'.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, he can really "see" way better than a normal person, just in a completely different way. He probably knows where the keyhole is in a door two blocks away. It's kind of ridiculous how heightened his sense are, but hey, he's a superhero.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    love the fighting, the rest is okay but can't get over how well he interacts with the world... maybe further episodes will explain more about that? but being able to find and use a lock on a door with out needing to feel for is too much for me, the little things like that would help ground his character a bit more into reality

(the lock was placed higher up on the door, not the usual spot and there are a few examples of this - I know it sounds like im nit-picking but come on, is he blind or not? lol )

It's already explained that he can "see" through his other senses. He would be able to "see" where the lock is due to the changes in airflow/pressure around the lock, for example.
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    It's already explained that he can "see" through his other senses. He would be able to "see" where the lock is due to the changes in airflow/pressure around the lock, for example.

like echolocation. Sadly Ben Underwood has died. Knowing that someone like Ben existed just made the human race seem more awesome.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9mvRRwu5Gw"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9mvRRwu5Gw[/ame]
  • jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Just finished the first season last night and really enjoyed it. Vincent D'Onofrio did a great job as Kingpin and I always appreciate a villain that's got a little more depth than just being 'evil'.
    His monologue in the last episode where he really becomes the bad guy in his own mind is really good. His brutality is a bit over the top, but it essentially becomes his super power in a world where super heroes/villains exist.

I personally don't mind the grimdark and think there's room for it in the MCU. Not everything has to be a colorful super powered circus to fit in that world. I could see Daredevil fitting into a MCU film, but more as a detective rather than someone that's going to be fighting aliens or whatever.

I'm not very familiar with the comic version of Daredevil, but I'm excited to see where the series goes as they introduce more of his rogues gallery.

As an aside, my only problem with the Netflix series' is I have to wait until I finish a series to check out threads like this to avoid spoilers!