Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: dDo, smart materials and UV seams

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
I´m currently creating my first art with dDo incorporated into the workflow. I bought the suite thinking that this might speed up the workflow but so far it´s only been slowed down - mostly due to stability issues in 14.2.1 x64 - but also due to the fact that I´ve had to rebake my normal and AO map multiple times.

Now I´m onto another problem: UV texture seams due to separated islands.
I´m curious to hear how other people solve this. Right now I´m considering backtracking and just redo my UV so that more shells are sewn together - which in itself can be a big problem when baking normal maps (too big wrap-arounds and you can get gradients). So does anyone have some general advice on this? Should I be even more careful when doing the UV-work, or should I just ignore the seams for now and tweak the masks manually afterwards? (the latter seams like an awful lot of work considering there are so many individual texture maps).

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Hi!

Sorry to hear that. In general I would say that the way you create your UV layout is extremely crucial for which ever workflow you use. I try to always place my seams where there would be a natural break in the object: So for cloth I break them in a seam, For hard-surface where two surfaces are joint together by a weld or similar. there are usually places to hide seams.

You can of course tweak your texture afterwards to get rid of seams but I would suggest to do it properly from the start. Otherwise you will have to redo all your seam-paintover every time you want to change your texture, and that usually happens quite a few times. (for me at least)

The suite does have a seam-termination feature, It does not magically remove uv-seams but it creates your masks in such a way that they don´t overlap your seams. You need to tick this box when creating your project in the base creator, and then you can adjust this value through a slider in the Dynamask editor, but still, this can´t be used to cover up poorly planned Uv-seams, gotta do it properly from the start :)
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. Is it possible to toggle this on for a project that you´ve already created?
    Also, is it possible to edit the texel density on an already existing project?
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Alright. Is it possible to toggle this on for a project that you´ve already created?

I think the 'official' response is "no, it must be checked at the time of creation" but I'm pretty sure you can enable it just by editing the project's xml file and adding SeamTermination="true" to the end of the first line inside the closing bracket >. (You should maybe make a backup before following my crazy advice.)

So something like this:
    <Project MapDefines="Default" PhysicsLookup="Default" IDMapper="Default" Mesh="D:\Documents and Settings\Fred\My Documents\Project\C130.obj" PreviewResolution="1.0" FlipY="false" HQCurvature="false">

would become this:
    <Project MapDefines="Default" PhysicsLookup="Default" IDMapper="Default" Mesh="D:\Documents and Settings\Fred\My Documents\Project\C130.obj" PreviewResolution="1.0" FlipY="false" HQCurvature="false" SeamTermination="true">

and then you would want to do a rebuild or reimport (making sure that your color ID map has black for the areas between UV shells/islands).
  • Eric Ramberg
    As CKhol says the official answer is no, I haven´t tried the method described by him though so that might work, but do a backup before :)

Texel density can be changed at any time by using the "Reimporter"!
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, thanks for the answers guys!
  • iron100
    Tell me please, how SmartMmaterial defines model edges? I apply material to my unwrapped model and on the edges anything isn't present, any "dirt".

My model and UV:

sGa1ltXT.png

My material:

sGa1ltXU.png

And my result (Marmoset Toolbag 2). ID, Mask and Bump maps remained unused.

sGa1ltXV.png
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You would need some kind of curvature information to get your model to look like the Quixel palette, unless you were to paint in the scratches manually. Try making a sub-d version of that model and baking it down to the low-res and kick out those maps into dDo.
  • iron100
    You would need some kind of curvature information to get your model to look like the Quixel palette, unless you were to paint in the scratches manually. Try making a sub-d version of that model and baking it down to the low-res and kick out those maps into dDo.

Why did not Quixel creates a curvature map and where to insert? I try different models, but it does not work.
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    You need to provide Quixel with a Normal map. It can't add details if there is no information for it to mask.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Hi!

If you use a high poly mesh without tangent space normals you need to input a curvature map for DDO to find edges. In the next major release the 3DO GPU baker will be released which should help when generating a curvature map.