Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Ducati 999R

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
huffer interpolator
Hi guys, this is a WIP thread of a complete asset, a Ducati 999R Xerox version (with sweet decals). I'll be creating it for UE4, full PBR, and it'll be mainly a showcase portfolio piece.

Some of my technical goals:
- try to reach 32px/cm texel density for some ultra high res goodness, this means I'll use 3 or 4 4K maps (for high res version and .psd sources) and rescale to 2k or even lower for in-engine work. I was thinking of splitting it by: tyres + rims; bodywork + seat; engine + other mechanical; cockpit +other small parts.

- apart from the main maps, I'll have: a 256x256 tileable texture for the chain, a 1024x1024 for all glass objects, another 1024x1024 for the brake rotors (will use alpha), a glow map for headlights and blinkers and a small texture for grills and anything else that needs transparency.

- I also want to have a dDo pass on the bike, for some texture variants, like dusty, dirty, with smears, etc.

- 65k tris maximum, and try to figure out how to tessellate the low poly object for ultra high res screens from Marmoset

Any critique is welcome!

Links are dead, final renders here.

out1jpg

Replies

• Ljiljan
    I don't see anything to critique, it looks very good so far.. :)
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Thanks! :D

Here are more finished parts, I'd say I have around half o the high poly left. I'll also make some welds and other details in a zbrush pass after the high is finished.

out2.jpg
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    New update:

Still have the calipers and engine but I think the hard parts are over. :) C&C welcome, I'm concerned about parts seeming too small or inconsistent edge softness.

out3.jpg
  • failhappy
    Offline / Send Message
    failhappy polycounter lvl 3
    Nice work, I look forward to seeing this progress.
  • JostVice
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Looking really nice, nice attention to detail! Love those ducatis. I wouldn't mind closer shots, hope you will do them when its finished :)

At first i though you were making this on zbrush because of the shader. With what are you modelling?
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Thanks failhappy, I'd skip straight to the texturing part if I could :)

JostVice, thanks, this was the coolest bike model I found :poly124: I used 3dsmax 2014 with their Clay viewport mode. Will definitely put up a nice presentation once it's finished.

Here is one final update for the high poly, I have a bunch of minor tweaks to do, model some tiny details like hoses and the rear caliper, but I'll start on the low poly now to stop this dragging along too much:

out5.jpg

Also, a quick chain test:

out_chain.jpg

I'm not sure if to stick with this one above (tileable texture) or the one in the clays with each piece geometry and baked (has around 10 000 tris).
  • failhappy
    Offline / Send Message
    For use in a game that would definitely have to be the tiling texture option, but with the super high res you were planning for this then I'd say the modelled geometry might be the better option.

Might be worth playing around to get the tri count lower :)
  • advion
    Offline / Send Message
    advion polycounter lvl 2
    It looks fantastic and the only thing I can even nitpick about is the steering damper and what the right arm is connecting to on the bike. It looks like it's just floating at the moment but I can't really see it.

This is just me being anal because I've ridden that bike and I like bikes in general. :) Great job it really does look great.
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Yeah, I'll see where I'm at, hopefully there's still budget for that high res chain :).

Thanks advion, there's a frame piece to which the steering damper attaches to, I added it in the next revision. I hope the real bike rides as good as it looks :D

In the meanwhile, here are some tests in UE4 while slaving away at the low poly. I also have a small enviro piece planned, a highway road with some metal and concrete dividers.

out8.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm doing, anyone has any good tips for lighting in UE4? Can I use a Directional Light for the hard sun shadows and a Skylight for reflections and is ambient occlusion and indirect lighting calculated just by hitting build lighting?
  • failhappy
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I know world ambient occlusion is real time (you can change the size and intensity of it realtime in a post process volume) but the AO from your material doesn't seem to be applied until you build the lighting.
    Indeirect lighting is calculated during building the lighting and I think you've got the right idea with the directional and skylight. I haven't done an outdoor scene in Unreal yet so I'm not sure.
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Hmm, alright thanks, I'll play around once I'm finished. :)

Update on the low poly, I'm at around 60 000 tris, I'll do another pass to optimize what I can to fit the budget and finish the UV's. There are just too many parts on this bike! :poly122:

out9.jpg
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Bang up job bro! I started a kawasaki sometime last year but gave up cause the engine seemed daunting and I was a noob! You've got me interesting in going back to it now :D Can't wait to see you slap some textures on this bad boy
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Thanks Chase! :poly121: It was pretty daunting starting out (I dived right in and didn't think about it), but now I think the really hard parts are over, here comes the fun! :)

Here is a small update, made some base maps (normal map bake, basic albedo/roughness) for:

- brake rotors and cogs (1024x1024, uses alpha test), I'll also fit some grills here
    - chain (tileable 256x256 with alpha test)
    - glass objects (1024x1024, translucency) for front canopy, blinkers, and glass and transparent plastic parts in the cockpit. This will also have a glow map for stoplights

I kept texel density to 18px/cm in the end, having it higher was overkill and meant way too big textures. Text looks super sharp too!

What's next, finalize UV's and optimization of the low poly, make another small texture for the on-board computer, 512x512 maybe, with glow maps for all the leds and everything, and then start baking the big maps for the body :shifty:

out10.jpg

out11.jpg
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Update, progress on UV and low poly, tri count is at 58000:

out12.jpg

out13.jpg

In the end I split the body in 2 4k Maps and a 2k map for the steering part (pink checker), that will also be at 20 or 22px/cm for higher detail in first person renders. C&C welcome! :)
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    This is lookin sexy.
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    UE4 will make it sexy as hell :poly124:

Here are the first finalized bakes. I'm baking in 3dmax with triangulated meshes and so keeping tangent space synced with 3dsmax. Everything looks good, I can't tell any difference from baking in xNormal with Mikk, and since it's such a hassle to export everything to xNormal I'll continue baking in 3dsmax. This way apart from speed I'll also have the added option of making some nice renders inside 3dsmax (alongside UE4 and Marmoset). There are some symmetry seams, but most of them will be hidden by other objects.

out14.jpg
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    More progress on bakes:

out16.jpg

I had some slight shading issues with Max bakes so I switched to xnormal for now.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Delicious !

I wonder if you could use some kind of blended material in UE in order to leverage both regular UVs (for the normals, and wear and tear) and more of a tiled/projected set of UVs for high resolution decals ...
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Hmm, thanks for the suggestion :). I was thinking of doing something like that, but I think now I have enough resolution for the decals, they look pretty sharp :poly121:. There were some jagged lines on the bakes, I really wished xnormal had some type of softening filtering (had to render at double res, gaussian blur in photoshop, rescale, and mix with the original bakes)

out19.jpg

Bakes are pretty much finished, still have some minor fixes to do (small seams, some ndo detailing, and duplicate parts that are symmetrical), onto texturing! This UE4 Clear coat shader looks like the right thing for the fiber glass canopies, have some tweaking to do. Also I'm getting some seams and completely dark parts after baking lighting, not sure why, I don't have a second UV channel, maybe I should generate it instead of letting UE4 do it, and make sure there are no overlaps?

I don't have Substance Designer yet, I think it might make my job a bit easier - the same materials are on both main textures, so it'd be cool to predefine them and just use a color ID to apply them on all maps. I'm not sure if it's possible - if I could make a predefined sanded aluminium material for example, that uses a noise in the normal map set to overlay, will it blend over the normal map of whatever part I apply it to?

Also, the graphics are killing me, I'm drawing the shapes in Illustrator and matching them over the normal maps, quite hard to get right and time consuming, does either of the Substance apps have a vector drawing tool (that supports path strokes) that works on top of UV's (like in Painter) or directly in viewport?

out18.jpg
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    out24.jpg

More progress (now from Toolbag), separating materials (in albedo only now), still not sure how to proceed with texturing..it's going to be a headache...will try to get my hands on substance designer :poly124:
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    KMiklas polycounter lvl 9
    Lovely work on the chassis.
  • codyaq2
    Offline / Send Message
    codyaq2 greentooth
    u tried DDO? looking awesome BTW!
  • taotang
    Offline / Send Message
    taotang polycounter lvl 5
    Really nice work! I like it!
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Thanks guys! :)

codyaq2, yup, going to texture it in ddo/photoshop, but still have to separate the rest of the materials...drone work :poly122: but almost there

But here is more progress, testing ue4 features:

out28.jpg

And here is one of my main references for the look/pose, I mixed and match different setups/decals/parts.
  • Pedro Amorim
    This looks amazing dude!
  • alexdubbeat
    Offline / Send Message
    alexdubbeat polycounter lvl 8
    bumping from waywo thread. :D looks killer man! :thumbup:
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks totally awesome. Crazy detail and good effect overall!

But... rear tire doesn't look like this. Catch some references, they will explain it better than words:

New tire, don't mind the thread:

_MG_0956.jpg

A tire with so called 'chicken strips'

517d1197506954-questions-ask-when-buying-new-bike-rear-chicken-strips.jpg
    Chicken_strips_rear.jpg

And finally a fully used tire:

93811d1155216755-tire-size-chicken-strips-rear1.jpg

Another thing that I'd suggest reviewing are disc brakes. You made them kinda smooth, while they are metal discs, cut sharply (so the most of their surface is being used, with only necessary vent holes drilled):

4416767-Closeup-detail-of-a-motorcycle-front-wheel-with-black-spikes-and-brake-disc-Stock-Photo.jpg
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Pedro Amorim, alexdubbeat: Thanks guys :)

KMiklas: Thanks a lot for taking the time to write the feedback and for the references :poly124:, I agree on the tyres, something did look off, some of my references were not so good but it's clearer now. I fixed a couple of things, still have to do the pattern on the front wheel, but I don't want to add too much detail, I think a worn-out almost patern-less look might be better and more race-y

The disks appearance is intentional, since they're made with alpha cutouts a sharper profile might make them look razor sharp and depth-less, this way the edges catch juicier highlights at lower size on screen :)

Small fixes, basic pose for steering/body/easel, ddo dirt pass (only on fiberglass body for now), mipped down everything to half, still pretty sharp. I don't have so much time now to work on this, progres is slow :poly122:

out35.jpg
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    This is pretty sick! I'm not an expert on bikes but I'd say it's pretty good :D and the materials are really gettin there! Keep up the good work!
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work on the tire! And very nicely dirty bike. :D

Maybe consider some cleaner areas where rider would touch the bike with his body? Mostly fuel tank area. And the side stand is so dirty like no one ever used it, but it's somehow out (could be clean where it's touched by foot).
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11