Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

EVOLVE DLC map environment models

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
jafo polycounter lvl 3
Here is a collection of man-made environment models I created for EVOLVE's DLC maps.

Mine map:
OqXf7Y6.jpg
Ys4TzDO.jpg
1YbqikK.jpg
a0gngAg.jpg
vsal8LP.jpg
pdseYll.jpg

Foundry(Slagtown) map:
yafAaKt.jpg
IZpEnUo.jpg
TwmJPfw.jpg
mh5LfDJ.jpg
PzOf3LU.jpg
2ILjjeX.jpg
Tsau9AX.jpg

Replies

• jafo
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    Foundry (Slagtown) map continued:
    jyHPmln.jpg
    l1Kuwgr.jpg
    apKcVwz.jpg
    jlFgMng.jpg
    wj9g86R.jpg
    ahqWDNJ.jpg
    hViLq3M.jpg
    UB5C4Af.jpg
    zHPBrTd.jpg
    rGM37mP.jpg
    ApndPQG.jpg
    7KUlaxO.jpg
    OiuoQP4.jpg
    ogmMQ4H.jpg
    HZNJMwO.jpg
    AToda1d.jpg
  • jafo
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    Foundry (Slagtown) map continued:
    Vky9FrK.jpg

Sadly screenshots don't show off any of the moving machine parts or the animated neon signs so I guess you'll have to go buy the game and see it for yourself ;-)
  • Darkmaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    These shots are so damn sexy...well done man. I've always loved how you guys integrate your architecture with your organics and terrain, but it's even nicer to see your smaller man-made elements like the trash,foliage and signage really give this place life as a living quarters as opposed to totally industrial and utilitarian. Nice work!
  • jafo
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    So with our DLC maps, I wanted to improve upon the LEGO set I built for the shipped game to get more mileage out of it while making it a little more efficient for memory and performance.

Here are the base textures used to make all the man-made structures in the maps:
    RujeAYf.jpg

Here are the high res models and textures for the machine elements at the bottom of the above image.
    OpIR0k2.jpg
    6d033WJ.jpg

I always like to hide people's names in signage. In the highlighted area of this texture you can see the names of the 2 level designers Chris Holmes and Nick Parde, as well as all the modelers who worked on the map, Sean Keegan, Daniel McGowan, Sloan Hood and myself.
    2kqmuf3.jpg

Below is a section of the Slagtown portion of the map. The idea behind this structure is that it's a large ship that has been gutted and re-purposed as a small town. Along the left side you can see the landing thrusters and landing gear.
    vpLbNLI.jpg

Below is the basic blockout proxy and the finished game model
    0eyFLgC.jpg

Below shows the parts of the model composed of LEGO parts and the base model using tileable textures
    phZ83RU.jpg

Below shows how the LEGO parts correspond to how they get used on the final model. This should give you an idea of how I piece this stuff together. A lot of times, I will use a smaller component combined with other pieces to create a new piece.
    agDGOnI.jpg

On the bulk skin of the larger structures I made a blend material so I wouldn't have to figure out how to cut up the topology in order to accommodate the metal atlas (upper left portion of the first image). This way I would save polys and I could expose worn/weathered areas on the structure by using vertex alpha. Below you can see how this works.
    r7MmFn0.jpg
  • jafo
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    genwu wrote: »
    These shots are so damn sexy...well done man. I've always loved how you guys integrate your architecture with your organics and terrain, but it's even nicer to see your smaller man-made elements like the trash,foliage and signage really give this place life as a living quarters as opposed to totally industrial and utilitarian. Nice work!

Thanks man!

To be fair, I did create some of the smaller props included in these shots but our other environment artists, Daniel McGowen (Slagtown) & Konrad Beerbaum (Mine), dressed the scene with all the appropriate props, detritus, and vegetation.
  • Ruslan_Kokarev
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruslan_Kokarev polycounter lvl 4
    Overall look is really awesome and classic, but neon logos look cheap and bad. Plus letter "N" in logo "Slagtown" is mirrored.

Great work anyway!
  • RILKE
    Offline / Send Message
    RILKE polycounter lvl 12
    Beautiful stuff!
    Great job and very inspirational.Thanks for sharing!
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    beautifull stuff! thanks for the detailed breakdowns!
  • agitori
    Offline / Send Message
    agitori polycounter lvl 7
    thank you very much I have learn a lot from it!!