Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gears of War Environment

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys,

I have been tinkering around with the idea of working on a GOW environment for awhile and finally decided to actually tackle it. I have always had a love for the art in the gears of war series with the release of every game i have always been blown away with what the guys down at Epic were able to accomplish.

One of the reasons I decided to get into this industry is because of the gears of war franchise, so i think tackling this challenge is gonna be both enlightening for me as well as very fun!

REF:

RUeg9gS.jpg?1

Latest:

1UKGiC0.jpg?1

Replies

• Geno527
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Journey accepted, gl dude and make this awesome:)
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    !
    I'll be waiting.
    :)
  • amefromdope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amefromdope polycounter lvl 4
    Quite a challenge. Looking forward for it. Good luck! :)
  • mau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mau
    love the GoW environments ! good luck :) !
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    This tile will probably go through alot of changes as im using it as a test bed to test out both the new zbrush and substance designer.
  • Narlyteeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Narlyteeth polycounter lvl 5
    I played GOW1 the other day. while the tech is out dated, the environment design is still really good. seeing fan art like this is really awesome! can't wait to see more!
  • alecchalmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    Looking forward to this! I love the Gears environments, and I've been thinking for a while about doing a similar project. Maybe a group fan project is in order.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    @Narly: yeah i hope i can hit the Gears visual bar, really enjoyed Gears 1 it really had a nice mood to it. it still hold up all these years later.

@alec: I hope i can meet your expectations this is definitely going to be a challenge for me as i have been so focused on Hard surface modeling for the past 4 years at all my jobs.

but im super excited to get this done right!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    After few revisions i have come to this, gotta say thanks to a few guys that been giving me some really awesome crits (JasonL,JasonA,Alistair and Jesse C):

still needs a bit of work not totally happy with the grout area been fudging around to see how i can make it pop more, also the texture needs a bit more love but i want to wait until i finish making the broken/grout versions to really flesh out the texture.

Working on the Massout of the area currently hopefully ill have something to show soon :)
  • james swanson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    james swanson polycounter lvl 5
    First of all, I'd try to present your textures a bit more clearly so that people can give more accurate crits. Right now the scene is a bit too dark, especially for such a dark material. Look at how clear this guy's mats are. Anyways, I went into Gow on PC for a sec to grab some examples of floor/wall mats.

duchbegagasin.jpg

duduududud.jpg

The materials in Gow are pretty gritty and dirty compared to yours. Remembers, this is after emergence day. Most everything is ruined or wartorn. Walls should be cracked from boomshot rounds, floors should be destroyed from the hammer of dawn, and maybe theres some blood splatter from someone getting ripped apart by wretches, assuming that's the kind of mood you're going for. The floor tiles you have a very clean looking, with no real wear other than some minor edge wear. I do like that you added some variance to the height/angle of some of the bricks, but you'd think that at least a few of the bricks would be broken or cracked.

Anyways, that's my .02 so far. I'm a huge Gow fan, so I'll be watching this closely. Good luck!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Massout i did over the weekend, BG building is placeholder.
    1UKGiC0.jpg?1
  • alecchalmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, keep up the good work. What are those things poking out of the roof of the bridge in the original concept? They break up the straight line of the bridge/arch section really well.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Alec, thanks for the crit. there's a few assets in the concept that are very hard to read those things poking out are one of them. ill be looking around for ref and trying to find something that would fit in that area to break up the straight lines.

if you or anyone else have any suggestions id be more than willing to try it out :)
  • alecchalmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone's portfolio should be a good starting point for sculpting the architectural elements.

In Gears I think they kitbash to save time, i.e. create a bunch of shapes/alphas/some sculpts and then try to use these creatively by bending them, inverting them, making different patterns out of them. If you use pieces from the same kit then usually no matter what you o with them they result in a consistent look to the scene. Maybe you could try this to add some of that detail to the pieces you already have?