Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM – Tu Throne - Syros

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Syros polycounter lvl 11
Hell yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaahhh \m/ , I see my self posting for this contest and I get so exited :D but what a nice challenge.

Well as I have been moved to Auckland recently and I am amazed by Kiwis wooden art works, it has a bug history and it has huge cultural value just like any other traditional art. me coming from middle east (Iran) who knows about pure nice artistic crafts in my own culture, couldn't stop enjoying it! so the moment I read the title of the contest I was sure I will go for a Kiwi wooden work throne room.
Tu or Tūmatauenga is the god of war in Kiwi culture. and it's shape is kind of a main motif for the wooden works. they have a real throne room in their culture too, which is called Marae . I found it very motivating for myself to go for a throne room in this style, it will be super fun trying to go for this kinda art style with a bit of Si-fi addition, sounds cool ey? :) I gotta be fast and to the point in this challenge. there are heaps of good stuff here in this contest that I can not point anyone out, you rock guys, thanks for sharing good art as always, cheers \m/
This will be my initial ref sheet, I will go for some concept and construction break down to see how I have to manage this throne room. Kiwis rock, hehe \m/
tu_psy_refshet.jpg
PS: don worry my PSD ref sheet is way too biger ;) \m/

Replies

• Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    I know it's not much , but any way, I try to go for some stylized kinda thing. well lets see, I will come up with some blocking and paint over maybe, but just if we had shipped the game before so we where not in crunch time, thanks for all the good work guys , rock on \m/
    spent some time on that logo, well I think worth it barbecue I looked all the refs deeply.
    any way I think this graphic/presentation is good to be at start.
    and about the font I used, it is from a famous designer: Joseph Churchward called Maori
    Tu_psy_wip_01.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    just a pre viz!
    Tu_psy_01.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_01.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_02.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_03.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_04.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_05.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    C&C PLEEAASE, cheers \m/
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    I know the time is against me (as always , haha ) but: Sean (my friend and coligue at GL) had this coole and nice comment: he thinks this will match the best , "Atlantis blue cave!" yes, and I will go for this as I think less assets I have to make, Cheers Sean, and Kunpeng was right too Maori style is more tribal and less imperial.
    the Throne chair will be a holographic chair at the middle on top of water! hell yes I will still keep the Sci-fi part, and all those stones you see will be columns of red Maori wood carvings.
    I think I have to come up with concepts then ....
    tu_psy_refshet2.jpg
    atlantis_bluecave.gif
    what you think?
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    here is some updates, with a little plan,
    any one knows about possibility of doing what we used to do with nDo inside Substance painter/designer?
    cheer \m/
    Tu_Psy_WIP_06.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_07.jpg
  • Geno527
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
    I really like your totem, it's smooth, cool and cute, well done :)
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    cheers bro, glad you liked, such a comment from you means a lot,.
    well I think I have to make those round curves into more diagonal, what you think?
    I will come up with some new mesh for comparison.
    cheers \m/
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    this will be the style I "love" to mimic:
    http://fafart.blogspot.co.nz/
    so may be I will change the wooden totem to stone or metal, I still don't know
    and some refs for the holographic chare:
    psy_moodsheet_hologram.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    some progress and WIP, well the throne will be on the tongue as sketches, the sketches was shown just the progress, what I am going to follow will be the first sketch. I don't know, I think I have no time to make the concept, but for sure I have to do a mochup of volumes, may be a lose paintover will guide me through final modeling stage.
    haha, I missed the tongue while I was sculpting the totem, but I decided to make it story wise!! LoL so their tongue has been taken our by the king!
    Tu1psd.jpg
    Tu2psd.jpg
    [img]http://syros.pourlatifi.com/TU/1/ZBrush Document9.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://syros.pourlatifi.com/TU/1/ZBrush Document10.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://syros.pourlatifi.com/TU/1/ZBrush Document11.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://syros.pourlatifi.com/TU/1/ZBrush Document12.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://syros.pourlatifi.com/TU/1/ZBrush Document12_2.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://syros.pourlatifi.com/TU/1/ZBrush Document12_3.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://syros.pourlatifi.com/TU/1/ZBrush Document13.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://syros.pourlatifi.com/TU/1/ZBrush Document14.jpg[/img]
    IMG_2884.JPG
    IMG_2885.JPG
    IMG_2886.JPG
    IMG_2887.JPGIMG_2888.JPG
    IMG_2889.JPG
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    today I went for modeling the main Tiki face upon the throne.
    I went for poly modeling and as I am pretty sure about the lighting, I lit the scene inside max as the final lighting, so to model base on the light changes on the model, I find it nice so I will sculpt the grey model, lit by colored light.
    some where while modeling I find the light gizmos very nice to be added as tiny glowing light inside the final environment, but I have to make a good test for it.
    and well the fancy screen shots are made by my mobile , just capturing my monitor, as it automatically worked as some post process for the screen shots, I think I will use this mobile snap shot technique a LOT from now on! this was and invention of tonight :D
    all i need to do is to model the noise and the tongue to be the throne.
    don forget that there is a liquid dropping from inside the mouth but the gravity which is at the spot light source ( beneath the King!!! for just a spice of philosophy LoL) make the drops diagonal and converging to that point, I mean they do not drop straight.
    I need Time!!!

mobile screen shot!:

Psy_thronroom_WIP_m_08.jpg
    Psy_thronroom_WIP_m_07.jpg
    Psy_thronroom_WIP_m_06.jpg
    Psy_thronroom_WIP_m_05.jpg
    Psy_thronroom_WIP_m_04.jpg
    Psy_thronroom_WIP_m_03.jpg
    Psy_thronroom_WIP_m_02.jpg
    Psy_thronroom_WIP_m_01.jpg

Usual screen shot and modeling process:

Psy_thronroom_WIP_04.jpg
    Psy_thronroom_WIP_03.jpg
    Psy_thronroom_WIP_02.jpg
    Psy_thronroom_WIP_01.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    little bit of progress and a brush I made for the details, i think i missed paying attention to this ref! :( well I feel I like to model exact same as the head in Brush dev sheet!!! what should I do? time!!!!
    Psy_thronroom_WIP_throncomposition.jpg
    Psy_thronroom_WIP_brush_01.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    some progress, and modeling in ZB, still no usage of that custom brush,
    next step will be that plus same details as totem, low poly , texture bake, and UE4 at last : ( , things going slow, I think I need to use auto UV, as I wanted to test it, is it ok according to judges you think?
    Tu_Psy_WIP_160.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_161.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_164.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_165.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_166.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_167.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_168.jpg
    [img]http://syros.pourlatifi.com/TU/3/ZBrush Document15.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://syros.pourlatifi.com/TU/3/ZBrush Document16.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://syros.pourlatifi.com/TU/3/ZBrush Document17.jpg[/img]
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    that sculpt is real nice and a cool idea!
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    noscope: thanks dude, glad you like it, an artist like you and this comment really made ma day bro, cheers \m/
    update on throne sculpt detail, I think some areas will be left as areas of rest for the eye and surface.
    Tu_Psy_WIP_170.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_171.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_172.jpg
    [img]http://syros.pourlatifi.com/TU/4/ZBrush Document18.jpg[/img]
  • WarrenM
    I just love this sculpt. Chunky, yet detailed.
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    WarrenM: glad you liked it man, it really gave energy, cheers \m/

pretty much till now, gotta do the same for all parts, subtools, well i think it takes time as I don have a fast machine :( any ways, I defenatilly animate the glow as I had taken screens from marmoset :)
    hope i can make it till finil!
    Tu_Psy_WIP_173.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_174.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_176.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_177.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_178.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_179.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_180.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_181.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_182.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_183.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    some more test along the way, more near what it shoud be, sill out side engine :(
    Tu_Psy_WIP_184.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_185.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_185.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_186.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_187.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_188.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_189.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_190.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_191.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_192.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_193.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_194.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_195.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    I baked all the maps for throne, bring them all inside marmoset,
    may be I need a material changer map!
    well, any ways no time for fancy thing and I think I need to set it up in marmoset! is that ok? gonna bake that totem to low poly too!
    gush why didn't I do it before !!
    I do play with assets a lot during this phase I should not do this , meh \m/
    Tu_Psy_WIP_206.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_213.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_215.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_218.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_220.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_221.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_223.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_224.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_228.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_230.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_231.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_232.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_233.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    totem low done, I bring everything to marmoset, I just need to sculpt the water (maty be later good test for shap maps!) and bring everything to UNreal
    Tu_Psy_WIP_237.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_240.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_241.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_243.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_244.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_245.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_250.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_253.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    I think this will be my final shot canvus, exept may be the stutue on the left will be a little big bigger and there will be another one beside ,. better lit.
    the red chir now is a test done in Photoshop, but I need a map for materiyal change in this part.
    Tu_Psy_WIP_254.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_255.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_256.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_257.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_259.jpg

I should stop playing around, there too many paramiteres to change LoL :D
  • Farzen
    im a fan of your work syros this is epic love it "GOOD LUCK"
  • NyanBlaster
    Offline / Send Message
    NyanBlaster polycounter lvl 8
    WOW! It's amazing!
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    Cheers, glad you liked it guys \m/ yeahhh hoo yeahh \m/
    well i worked on my first sculpt (the base for the deformed one, may be I could grab a shape-map/ vector map , and morph the low poly in engine in the future?!!! is it possible?!!! search needed, ha ha ), when I saw how many assets every one is making, I though may be two is so few for me, so I made a low poly for this one too. the only time consuming part was to set up all those smoothing groups, but I have to do it, as in the screen shot you can see how crap it would be if smoothing groups would not be touched. low poly made only by Decimation Master tool and while I was busy setting up the smoothing group I fixed some bugs Deci has been made, so UNwrap and done. but time consuming! :(
    and that composition shot I think is my final shot.
    Tu_Psy_WIP_291.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_293.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_261.jpg
    ahhh, making that tile pixel art ate the side was a fun part, I just placed rows of that final VCed one in ZB then lots of playing around with that in PS.
    well till now I have bunch of textures ( normal, AO, cav, two selectio accourding to VC made in ZB) so I think time to jump to SD for setting up mats and final textures. but before that I will bring all meshes with default mat in UE4.
    while making a final mesh for the back wall, and front yard! yes I need to make some area imagine for every one how can not walk on the water like KING! as I will send the screens ....
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    some new shots in max, for grasping an idea of what I am gonna make as the whole construction connector!:
    Tu_Psy_WIP_296.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_299.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_302.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    some update, plan is to make the normal for that wall inside SD, I have to learn this!!! I do think I will get to end so instead of SD, I will make some final shots with marmoset, is that ok? any way I will be out of competition? :(

Tu_Psy_WIP_306.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_307.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_308.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_309.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_310.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_311.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_314.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_316.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_318.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_320.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_327.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_332.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_333.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_334.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_336.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    updates, still no texturing, all you see here are done with plane cavity AO volum and other primitive maps, so I think i did not managed to get to the final line, but prepared three final shots at this stage :(
    Tu_Psy_WIP_337.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_343.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_345.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_346.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_352.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_356.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_358.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_360.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_362.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_367.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_369.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_371.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    and the final 3 and as I have missed the deadline, I will prepare the conctruction shots and my concept shit :) tomorrow
    Tu_Psy_WIP_375.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_376.jpg
    Tu_Psy_WIP_377.jpg
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    ah and the water is missing! :( no mesh, no transparent material!
  • Syros
    Offline / Send Message
    Syros polycounter lvl 11
    It seems it's too late but anyway I prepared all these, to call this semi done,
    after this stage I will start learning Substance and use it to texture these models (till here I did no Turing , except that poly-paint for the second prop) so everything will be in UE4 , with lots of "exposed parameters" to control in real time, it will be a small demo where you can go in front of the king and if you walk into the water you will be drown, it means that you never can reach the throne of the king! any way I will pop up with WIPs for sure. at the end it was a pity I could not get this to finish line, and lesson learned: "START USING SUBSTANCE ASAP"
    TU_ThroneRoom_syros_B_01.jpg
    TU_ThroneRoom_syros_B_02.jpg
    TU_ThroneRoom_syros_B_03.jpg
    TU_ThroneRoom_syros_CO.jpg
    TU_ThroneRoom_syros_CP.jpg