Home Technical Talk

3ds Max - change the default settings on UVW Unwrap

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
fearian greentooth
Hey guys.

So I'm pretty happy with the UV Tools in max, but I feel like using the tools sucks. For example, the tools work great, but I can't bind some of them to hotkeys without a script.

My big pain at the moment, is when I put a UVW unwrap modifier on an object, it always has the following:
  • Ignore backfaces ON
  • Select by angle set to 0.0
  • Grid/Pixel snap OFF
  • Relax set to BY EDGES
  • Etc.

The worst offender is "relax by edge angles" being the default relax setting. 50% of the time it just makes the UV island spin around until I hit stop or Max crashes. That's a fun party trick but pretty useless.

So does anyone know how to set up the default modifier values to something more sane?

Replies

• Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I think it might be different for older versions of max, but for max 2012 you can edit this file

"C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2012 - 64bit\enu\plugcfg\unwrapuvw.ini"

set RelaxType=0 for relax by face angles.
  • Butthair
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    When your in max, in your uvw modifier, set your settings how you like them, then go to Options and save them as default. Any new UVW modifiers you apply will have the custom settings you just saved. (Note it's only new modifiers, does not apply to existing UVW modifiers)
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Thanks guys, I'll give these both a try today
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Butthair said:
    When your in max, in your uvw modifier, set your settings how you like them, then go to Options and save them as default. Any new UVW modifiers you apply will have the custom settings you just saved. (Note it's only new modifiers, does not apply to existing UVW modifiers)
    OMG! I've been using max since release 3 and I never freaking noticed the Save As Defaults button in the options menu! lol Thank you so much for that!
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Also remember when you do save to default, it actually also save your current uv channel as well, so if you editing uv in channel 2 and save to default, it will automatic be in channel 2 every time you apply uv to your model instead of 1..
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i seem to remember that max kept overriding some defaults across sessions though. especially the coordinates for position and size of the uv window. so i write protected the preferences file. sorted. :)