Home General Discussion

portfolio sites

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
snickerwicket polycounter lvl 4
what websites does everybody use for their portfolios? I'm looking around and trying to find a good one.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's been a few threads about this, I did start to compile a bunch one different hosting websites people use into one list, but there's a lot more to add.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1919745&postcount=2
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not a web designer so I've decided to just have my domain point to my artstation portfolio.

artstation
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I use a heavily stripped-down blogspot format from Google. Had to search and find how to remove certain features to get it looking clean.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Pointing to an Artstation profile is a great idea. It's simple, straightforward and a great avenue for networking. They're also very easy to set up and offer good customization that shows off your skills. The better your work, the more impact your profile will have. Simple.

If you're savvy enough to code your own site (or set up a blog), I suggest keeping the above principals in mind. Tumblr and Deviantart could be a good options as well, just make sure you only upload quality work to those account.

Just remember that if you're applying for an artist's position, no one's judging your coding skills. Good work and being reachable are all you need to worry about.

edit: Ironically my portfolio's down right now because I just switched hosts, but I'm a web developer by trade.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My personal preference is to avoid Wix or any drag 'n drop web services. They need tons of javascripts for their sites to work which to me they will get blocked by default.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I also +1 to artstation, as it is also another easy way for people to stumble across your work and help get you some exposure. It is a win/win, as it is also a pretty popular digital art viewing platform now. I personally spend a good amount of time on the site each week for inspiration and to study work.

I personally use weebly (not going to link my site right now as my work is sooooooooooooo outdated) and use a domain hosting site that I direct to the weebly to have a professional URL and custom email extension for business purposes. Its kind of like Wix now after all of its updates and such, but does have a pretty powerful editor with the ability to edit the code on the back end through the same editor for custom work to the site. I am not a pro in any regards when it comes to web programming, so a platform like this was perfect for me. Was able to get a clean, unique results pretty quick.

If I were to do it again, would prob artstation nowadays though. Might even make the transition in the future. Having a personal site does protect from one day artstation maybe randomly closing (I am looking at you CGHub).
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah I think artstation is viable now for portfolios. I think I may switch over to using it. With that said though, artstation is a place where you continually post new works. So it's not really a concentrated portfolio place where you only focus on showing the best pieces? Plus you have to have breakdown images as separate so I'm not sure how much people like not being able to scroll through that for the same piece.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just code my own.
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    Interesting thread. I finish university this year so I need to start putting a portfolio together. Was thinking either Artstation or Blogspot. Leaning more towards Artstation because of the new features (resume and jobs) and great for networking.

@Tynew I upload my best work to Artstation and the rest to Deviantart.
    No, You don't have to have your breakdown images separate on Artstation :)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    tynew wrote: »
    Yeah I think artstation is viable now for portfolios. I think I may switch over to using it. With that said though, artstation is a place where you continually post new works. So it's not really a concentrated portfolio place where you only focus on showing the best pieces? Plus you have to have breakdown images as separate so I'm not sure how much people like not being able to scroll through that for the same piece.

Artstation profiles also come with a site that can be curated. You do have to pay to set up more than two custom pages.
    chrisdejoya.artstation.com
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    I used to code my own, but found I was spending way to long on it, instead of on the content of the portfolio, so I moved to Dunked. So far its been great, pretty good customisation options, if you know some css then you can take it a little further, and really simple cms for uploading and updating content.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I made my site with Wordpress but I'm tempted to switch to either Squarespace or Artstation. Not sure if either would be worth the switch? They all have their strong and weak points.
  • MrPie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrPie polycounter lvl 5
    Snowfly wrote: »
    Artstation profiles also come with a site that can be curated. You do have to pay to set up more than two custom pages.
    chrisdejoya.artstation.com

I used your free portfolio template to create my portfolio site. Recommend anyone who's brave enough to venture into HTML to use it.

There are tons of tutorials out there for you guys to get started and make some changes to personalize it. Thanks again man ;)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Whatever you use for your portfolio keep it simple.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    using dunked, simple but with quite a lot of options,

want to spend as little time as possible on portfolio creation.
  • snickerwicket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snickerwicket polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the input guys.
  • .polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .polygon polycounter lvl 11
    +1 artstation
    its good to browse art that you would never see because you don't have to know what peoples site address is.
  • javi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    I personally love Squarespace. They make it super easy, and it looks great as well! It does cost quite a bit though, but they take care of all the backend for you. You just need to supply the content!
  • OutOfMyMind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OutOfMyMind polycounter lvl 5
    I did some research on that some time ago and the best free option is ArtStation, those wix-alike services are terrible to control and put commercials inside your web page. Squarespace looks very good but it is paid.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You sit at your desk in the morning, sip your coffee, and crack open Artstation (it was CGHub before) for your morning dose of visual candy. Everyone does it.

Which is good for a portfolio
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Coded my own in wordpress, but there's tons of themes for portfolio to download.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    coded my own in dreamweaver, easy peasy
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Same here, coded in dreamweaver. It's very easy and you get exactly what you want.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I code my own, but mind you, I did up a template to be easily edited and updated when I was still in school and had a ton of free time. ;)

Artstation is good, just be sure to link the portfolio site, not the community profile.

I personally like Wordpress and Tumblr (I suggest Tumblr pretty often actually) for the wide variety of themes and quick CSS edits + being able to link your own domain in for cheap/free, and also being super easy to maintain. There's plenty of theme blogs/communities out there for them, and many of them have a "portfolio" tag, too. :)

Dropr is also a thing, it's easy and works well enough if you just have a few pieces to show.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious. Artstation is probably not the best platform for riggers, scripters or other tech artist to show case their stuff I suppose?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Good ol' HTML.

Important thing is to keep it simple, and if going with a CMS such as WP, keep the fluff out.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    My site is a modifed version of Dan!'s awesome template:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91572

To quote a wise man
    adam wrote: »
    Only the smartest, most handsome people will choose this layout.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I never said getting eyeballs on your portfolio was bad. I'm suggesting that if game artists made an exodus to a site that had more variety in terms of represented industries, that this would widen and diversify the visual influences of game artists, which would be a net positive. Good job plucking out a sentence and taking it out of context though.

Sheesh