• leandrojsj
    Offline / Send Message
    leandrojsj polycounter lvl 4
    Very good work, top visuals.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    @nickzucc

it is all 2d planes arranged in 3d space, even the characters are all spritesheets. so ingame nothing is 3d at all.

small fun fact about the 3d characters, and my saying about 2d is king.
    Here is the mesh of Gumo, with a modelled in Mouth that never was used ingame, i just found out about this a few days back, i was just thinking someone from the animators removed the mouth i modelled, but no you really just don't see it, so why bother?
    gumo.png
    eyes and mouth are just layed over like in windwaker, in most animations even just floating in front of the mesh, not being wrapped around at all.

depthwise we had a custom fog solution with colors (transparency and value) we could blend in over depth. And Depth of Field obviously, which can also be controlled over a custom curve so it is not just linear.
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasmahler polycounter lvl 14
    Gumos eyes look remarkably like mine right now.

I like this thread. It's a pretty good thread.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Gumos eyes look remarkably like mine right now.

I like this thread. It's a pretty good thread.

so much for not taking a break

take one

do it
  • Pierson3d
    I watched a streamer play through this game because I'm not in a position to buy stuff right now and WOW, it hit me right in the feels and was beautiful, really recommend for anyone. The art is so nice!
  • Cordell Felix
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    Absolutely STUNNING work! I love it all SO much
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful work :')
  • steve0
    Offline / Send Message
    steve0 polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome work everyone!! Congrats to the team!
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    [ Spoilers !!!! ]

Mount Horu Entrance

My first assignement back in may 2014 when I joined MoonStudios was to polish up Mount Horu. Mount Horu was still in a pretty rough spot in most places and was still under construction. The scenes alignement was 100% different the first time I saw it. The way the levels are organized now was a good decision made back then, it was a weird maze before.
    The first task was to envision and create a new entrance for Horu. The old one we had was too small and un-epic for Thomas, it had to be more grand and worthy of the last part of a game.

env-entrance2-wip1-mid.jpg

This was the first thing I painted for MoonStudios and I kinda overdid it a bit. But at least I had a good idea of what its supposed to look like afterwards. It took me 2 or 3 days with some iterations to paint. It was my first concept and I didn't know that it is enough to really make a small sketch and then go into the editor and flesh it out there. But it also helped quite a lot to paint so much, because I thus had a good start for new assets. Horu hadn't had any architecture to speak of, so I had to paint a lot of that anyways. A lot of what has been painted for this section was later used in all scenes of Mount Horu. Here is an assetsheet for all assets I painted.

assetsMountHoru.jpg

Assetcreation and -integration was really straight forward. All graphics are *.png and were painted in Photoshop and saved into their respective folders. Unity loaded them automatically and a double click brought them into the gameworld. Refresh colliders and you were good to go for testing.
    The entrance scene wasn't completely blank, but I was supposed to find a different solution and I could kinda do what I wanted. Gamedesign told me to not make it boring and have a few jump sections in there, but apart from that, this wasn't a gameplay focused section.

horuEntrance1.jpg

The door had to be able to be opened, so I also made a concept for a small sequence there. David put it in game and – well, see it ingame. Here is only a small screenshot from it opening. I think it was Max who added some more flames to it. I like it!

horuEntrance2.jpg
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    Mount Horu Hub

My next big task – and that was a 3 weeks big task was to setdress and polish the hub you enter right behind the entrance gate. But I didn't have to do this alone. Kaja and I started simultanously on duplicates of the scene to setdress the black blockout. Its easy to bring stuff back together later in Unity. It took a lot of time and I think this is one of the biggest rooms in the game.

horuHubBlockout.JPG

This is rougly the blockout from which Kaja and I started to work off of. Every room in the game started with a layout like this. That proved to be the easiest way for the game designers to work on the levels. It then provides the artists with everything they need to work from.
    After finishing the first dressing part we had to think about how to design the different doors. The triangle shape of all doors and as a general art direction guideline was something Johannes and Max came up with in the first stages of Mount Horu concepting. Kaja and I took that idea and tried to integrate it into each door in a slightly different way.
    Mount Horu is a very very old mountain. Its been there for aeons and hasn't been active for a very long time. Ancient creatures and civilizations used to worship to their gods. Johannes and Max wanted to show this with old carvings, images of old creatures and gods and giving the whole scenery a temple-like ambience. But with Mount Horu errupting and spitting fire most of the structures crumbled and the architecture lies in ruins. Its glory shattered by the strength and rage of the mountain.
    Each side of the hub area has four rooms. We tried to make them as distinct and individual as possible with each one having its own theme. One is a spiky hellhole of death and dispear, others are more architectually driven.

Unfortunately there are no real steps of any of our rooms. We were kind of too busy to care about keeping steps. But well, at least we do have the state it is in now, so here you go:

mountHoruHub1.jpg

mountHoruHub2.jpg

mountHoruHub3.jpg

mountHoruHub4.jpg

mountHoruHub5.jpg

mountHoruHub6.jpg

Yours,

Simon Kopp
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Love the work you guys did on this!!! So beautiful and inspiring. Absolutely love it! Playing through it right now, and enjoying it immensely. SO GOOD! :D
  • slipsius
    Oh man. Mount Horu was great! absolutely loved it. Though, I did the bottom left cave before the bottom right cave, so it felt like there wasnt a climax for me, since I
    ran from the wave of fire first

Im curious. How did you guys do the alignment of ori. As he runs along the ground, he changes the angle depending on the ground itself, rather than just moving up and down, the sprites always facing the same way. Curious how that was done.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Everything's so wonderfully done!, can't wait to get my hands on this masterpiece.
  • cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Best looking game I have seen in years. So fresh and lush. Props etc. :)
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Stellar work good job!
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing so much info on your work
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Mt Horu was legit, man. Loved it to pieces.
    I want to pick your brain a bit about the blockout. Clearly this was what you were given by the devs, but I want to know if it was just a texture/image they gave you, or if they used primitives or something similar with collision to make the scene when they gave it to you? I ask, because I want to block out a level in 2d in an effective way, and I just want to know how they did it. It looked like it enabled you guys to produce art for it very fast.

Also, did you use expressly the collision that came from the primitives, or did you use the collision generated from your sprites when it came to gameplay?
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everybody for the kind words!
    @slipsius:
    There is no right way or order to play Horu, do as you wish. Every Room is a trial in itself.

@makkon
    The blockout you see in the image is in editor. The blockout is done via a modified plane tool with which you can easily block out shapes and roomstructures. So its basically a 3D tool, but its really just a plane.
    I don't think that the blockout enabled us to go in with art faster, but... well, it did. If we only had an image of what the level would be we would have many iterations and errors in translation I guess. So yea, it kinda did - compared with an image based blockout.
    Colliders are created through a combination of artwork and the blockout, but there also are scenes without blockout at all, so colliders can also work with art only too. And they mostly do.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The collision makes sense, a combo of both gives you the best of both worlds, whichever one gave you the results you needed.

That plane tool sounds amazing. Is there anything like it that ships with Unity, or was that something the devs cooked up themselves?
  • ichidan
    Offline / Send Message
    ichidan polycounter lvl 12
    just wow... looked through this multiple times and still im finding more and more elements to stare at in this, thanks so much for sharing this, straight to the inspiration bank!
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    @Makkon:
    I actually have no idea! I've seen 2 different kinds of those tools, so I guess one is Unity one is ours?
    I really don't know. Ask our techies!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    It is a custom made polygontool, and a lot of the game was blocked and playable really early on. obviously stuff changed and blockouts became MUCH more organic with time. the original blockouts have been pretty conservative 90°. it took a bit to get everyone to break this tilebased mindset.

i think this was probably my biggest contribution to the game, pushing Max in the very early days to break the angular blockouts, making everything much more organic.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Kermit_3b29b2_117424.gif

Crazy good. Loved the atmosphere to bits, and although it was pretty simple, the story really shone as well.

Oh, yeah. I need a wallpaper version of the main menu with the big tree. That screen was stunning.
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    It sure looks amazing! Can't wait to play it. Thanks for sharing the awesomeness ;]
  • Villain
    I think I'm in love. I love the color choices.
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    I have to say, the work poured into Ori is absolutely phenomenal - a stand-out, incredibly well executed piece in a pretty overflowing platformer genre. I'm already contemplating a second play-through for a 100% run and enjoy the whole thing again, but the first time hopping through the forest, my mind was just continually boggled by the overwhelming amount of 2D art I was seeing in sometimes only fleeting moments of this game.

I think one of my favorite aspects has to be the sprawling background and near-foreground artwork that is layered to create parallax. It's a bit hard to pick up on all that subtle awesomeness with just the still images in this thread, but it really was some of the little things about Ori that just blew me away.

Well done all! I will be very interested to see what Moon Studios presents next...and if you guys need more modelers. ;)
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvwEprhAaps[/ame]

I like this video Steffen put together - It's a WIP, but I think it's cool enough to share it. It definitely shows how many elements our artists needed to paint to put together a single screen for Ori. That damn game is full of art. Full of it!

And yeah, as you can see, we didn't go for the 'paint 1 texture and tile it across the ground' thing, cause I can spot that kind of thing from a mile away and it always feels kinda cheap. Instead, we had tons of textures and made sure we could put them next to one another without any ugly seams, etc.
  • ArtbyV
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtbyV polycounter lvl 8
    I know this game is pretty much a self contained story, but I was curious if any DLC was planned. I want more!
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtbyV wrote: »
    I know this game is pretty much a self contained story, but I was curious if any DLC was planned. I want more!

You should tweet @XboxP3 and tell Phil that!
  • ArtbyV
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtbyV polycounter lvl 8
    You should tweet @XboxP3 and tell Phil that!

You guys gave me and my family hours of enjoyment with this game. It was the least I could do.

tweet.jpg
  • MrPie
    Offline / Send Message
    MrPie polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing art guys! truly a visual piece!
  • Elyaradine
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    I love how beautifully coloured things are, especially with the lights. I find that often with 2D games, either the lighting isn't dynamic, or the painted assets have very ambiguous (ambient) light direction.

From the breakdown it looks as if you did paint light direction into your assets, and if you wanted to control it you covered it with another layer of transparency, either dimming things down or adding another coloured highlight. Is that right? (Uber overdraw?)
  • Primary_Access
    Offline / Send Message
    Primary_Access polycounter lvl 3
    Hi all :)
    I am in love with this game. It's one of the best I have ever played and I really hope we will see more of Nibel. Congratulations to Thomas and all the people at Moon Studios and of course Airborn Studios. You all have done exceptional work.
    And thank you very much for sharing with us all those assets and information. It's great reading the posts. :)
  • felipealves
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Insaneee work!!

Congratulations guys, really inspiring :D
  • underfox
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    OOh yeah, more video like this. Can we dream seeing an artbook of this game one of those days?
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Great work all round. Well done!!!
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Oh my goodness! Brilliant work guys!These environments are just gorgeous!!!
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Thank you for this brilliant eye candy and great break down.
  • AngryMindtricks
    Absolutely astonishing work.. I love the art style behind this game :) incredibly artistic n___n Will make time to buy the game and play it :D
  • Partiest
    I gushed in the other thread already, but It bears repeating -- Ori has to be one of the most beautiful and immersive experiences I've had with games in years. On par with Journey, but far better in the mechanics department :)

Is there anyone on the tech side that would be able to break down how your team handled depth of field? I assume you're using a custom setup that didn't make use of Unity's DOF image effect, but would you be willing to share details? Very interested in this, as I'm trying to help solve the issue for a project built in a pretty similar way to Ori.

Thanks so much for crafting such an awesome game!
  • Digital_3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital_3d polycounter lvl 9
    Great Artwork and Music. Love this game. Well done Moon studio and Airborn.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
  • MFTituS
    Offline / Send Message
    MFTituS polycounter lvl 6
    wow - thanks for the huge and detailed art dump. it is great what you have achieved - totally dig the look.
    i have to spend some time to take a closer look on all the stuff and read the infos.
    too bad ori is for the xbox :(
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome stuff! Really love the art and the direction of the game. It's crazy to think how much work had to be created for the game.

I have a few questions about the art: How did the artists decide what and how many piece variations they need? Looking at Simon's Mount Horu assets, I don't understand why you need the long railing instead of just combining 3 of the short railing. Was there a specific art direction or a technical limitations for creating the asseets? How did you keep the transitions between assets smooth? Was the animations of the assets done in Unity?
  • Skywalkergirl93
    Offline / Send Message
    Skywalkergirl93 polycounter lvl 5
    There's not enough words to express how much I have loved this game! The art is phenomenal!! Everything about this game has amazed me. The art, game play, characters, animation, MUSIC, and well......everything! You guys are the inspiration that pushes me to be better at what I do, and for that I thank you.

Thank you to everyone who worked on this game, and thank you for the art dump. I wish nothing but the best for the future of ya'lls company :)
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd wrote: »
    Awesome stuff! Really love the art and the direction of the game. It's crazy to think how much work had to be created for the game.

I have a few questions about the art: How did the artists decide what and how many piece variations they need? Looking at Simon's Mount Horu assets, I don't understand why you need the long railing instead of just combining 3 of the short railing. Was there a specific art direction or a technical limitations for creating the asseets? How did you keep the transitions between assets smooth? Was the animations of the assets done in Unity?

Hm, I don't know about the environment, because I haven't painted those, but I always did around 3 to 5 variations. That just felt like the right amount of variation in order to hide repetition. There weren't really any limitations for creating assets, as they are really nothing else then *.pngs. Well, thats the limitation right there, they had to be *.pngs. But that allows for kinda everything we wanted to do. Further adjustments could all be made in Unity via our tools.
    Most of our assets blend into transparency where they are supposed to transition, but we could also add masks ourselfs in Unity.

@ underfox:
    I wouldn't bet on an artbook!
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    @acapulco

Thanks a lot for the reply, Simon! Do you guys scale/stretch any of the assets? If yes, how do you prevent blurring, say when you scale it big?
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    whoa this art is incredible, can you guys go over how you get a 3D model/animation rendered onto sprites? This sounds real interesting
  • phungdinhdung
    Offline / Send Message
    phungdinhdung polycounter lvl 12
    absolute lovely ! really nice to see how close the final game play to the concept arts
  • Spatz
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    sooo beautiful ... awesome work congratz to the whole team!!!

looking forward for ORI 2 :D