Home Featured Artwork

Aigis fanart

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
future-fiction greentooth
348k37rpng

Helloo, after playing Persona 3 I've wanted to make this character for a while, but haven't felt confident enough in the techniques. The goal is to practise hard surface, PBR materials, realistic hair, and hopefully a cute girl face. Aiming for the same level as FFXV characters in terms of aesthetics and fidelity.
I'm a big fan of Soejima's work, so hopefully I can do the character some justice!

Replies

• future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started off with a head sculpt and threw a quick photo texture on there. I want to keep the face quite doll-like, but please let me know if anything looks off with the proportions.

292spxh.png

Put in some proxy eyelashes and hair, trying to get a feel for what this will look like early on. I want to do something interesting with the iris, to make them really emissive and robotic.

Body blockout -

2127tw8.png

rbfz81.png

Once the proportions are looking okay I'll go in and replace all the proxy meshes with proper stuff. Thinking about using MD for the body suit to try and push the cloth to the next level. She's pretty super human in height, wanted to really accentuate the long legs but call it out if it looks silly.

Critique much appreciated, please let me know if anything in the silhouette looks wonky.
    Thanks for looking!
  • Neoekamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoekamp polycounter lvl 5
    Never played PE3, but sorta familiar with Aigis' design.

Looks good so far for a blockout! Maybe the mechanical parts look a bit blobby, and the midsection looks too revealing. Face looks fine!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    You are off to a killer start. I don't know the character, but it looks at home in the Final Fantasy universe.
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    Fantastic start Blair! And as a Personna fan, well... I can't help but subscribe :D

I'm really curious to know what process you use to create your proxy hair. Would you mind sharing a breakdown?

Keep it up! :)
  • Rav3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    Badass start! (thumbup)
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really great start, should be a fun model to do. I love the face and that hair looks good, even for a blockout.

My only crit right now would be that the area around her hips where the legs connect seems awkward to me. I think it might be too bulky and the angle is off? Not sure, but keep up the stellar work man!
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Holy shit! I liked Aigis, and as soon as i saw your username under the thread name, i know this one is going to be awesome!
    Can't wait to see more!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Should the cloth spandex hug her butt like that>

I feel like, given the aesthetic of the sculpt, it should feel less wispy and more like an actual tights or spanx. Specifically, looking at the cross foldsgoing across the buttock cheeks' valley.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Big persona 3 fan here, thats a very impressive start!

How long did it take to get sculpt like that?

Her proportions seem fine. though this is considering how you made her face look more real than anime, so I assume you're heading towards that direction.

However, I think it will be good to slim down the gold plates on her thigh a little. I think its creating this weird shape just underneath her crotch that obstructs her silhouette just a tad.

I'm looking at this picture of her. I'm aware its anime proportions so this could just be that.

Aigis-Persona-3-FES.png
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for all the encouragement guys, haven't checked the thread for a while and presumed it was burried!
    Jean-pascal - yeah, sure! I'll do that for you and post it in here.
    hofsta - thanks for pointing that out, I'll definitely resolve that area more.
    brian - haha, yeah that cloth is all proxy stuff at the moment, hoping to make it in marvellous designer for accurate folds, I'm interpreting it as a kind of thicker rubber rather than something thin like spandex.
    Tom - thanks, I'll take another look at that! There's a multitude of design inconsistencies but I'm aiming more for the Art book version which is a slightly different design than the ingame concept art. http://myfigurecollection.net/item/72269
    To get to this level a couple of weeks working in the evenings, I'm rubbish at keeping track! I've actually pushed the proportions a little more stylised since then but not trying to go too crazy with it.

Sorry guys if this thread might be really boring to watch, its mostly going to be me attempting to model all this hard surface mechanical stuff and then hoping it comes together at the end. I'll keep putting stuff into the zbrush doc just to preview it though, but here's a quick max screengrab with dodgy shaders of some of the shoulder joints.

mcaq3a.png

The headband is an annoying shape, might have to use some zbrush for it even though I'm a noob at using it for anything hard surface.
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2pry3ci.png

worked on the headband, tried adding in her little head mounted guns from P4A but I think the position needs tilting up, can't quite work out the shapes.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you populate the hair quickly? At least, the subtools you have for the hair.
  • jordanpascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She's looking beautiful, well done :)
  • KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    That hair? How? Just How?
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Man, this is great. That's such a good character :) Keep it up, it's looking awesome already
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! For the hair, I used this IMM_Hair brush - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?170167-Insert-Multi-Mesh-Repository&p=1078543&viewfull=1#post1078543

with these settings - 300gn10.png

Then I make a quick dynamesh blockout for the hair volumes and shapes before laying the insert meshes on top of that - also I draw them on the underside of the blockout shape too for added thickness. Then just a matter of using the move tool to get something I'm happy with. The back took a few tries, I was really unsure about the overall shape. I used this method with my Ahri character too and its a really nice brush for imitating that figurine style hair - even though I'll be replacing mine with planes in the end.
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    24e8b5c.png

Quick WIP, been refining things and doing loads of max modelling. Still need to get some more bits on her, will post some more full body stuff soon.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Man, awesome work so far, love the cloth and hardsurface stuff. As a big Persona fan you're doing Aigis great justice.

I see you're making the Arena version, will you be making the massive guns that come out of her back?
  • razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, this is fantastic looking. I wish I had critique, but I'll just watch and hopefully learn something. Amazing job so far! Looks quite "alive" even at this stage.
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo, razz - Thank you! I'm kinda doing a design mashup of P3 and Arena, I like elements of both their designs. I'll see how far I get with the hard surface stuff but yeah I would love to do more of her arena gear!
  • chudork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 8
    oh wow, she looks beautiful!
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Super nice work here... Keep it up!
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the encouragement guys!

1zxb34k.png

Here's a WIP of her wrist gun, I haven't had a huge amount of practise modelling hard surface stuff so I invite weapons artists to tear it apart.
    Workflow so far has been modelling sub-d then zremeshing to fix any kinks. It really sucks noticing proportional problems after spending a long time modelling it. Going to remake that gold cylinder next week and maybe do some damage/dents
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Why do anime designers hate feet so much? Aside from that she's looking pretty good so far.

One thing you might like to consider is your shoulders. Currently you're matching the concept design, but that only gives you two axis of rotation instead of three. If you wanted to make the design look more functional, you could add a twist axis where the metal joins the fabric part. It wouldn't need much to show it.
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade - Haha, little pointy nubs can be cool too!
    Thank for you pointing that out, I'd love the functionality to look semi-believable. Is a twist axis a helix shape like this?
    twist-tool.jpg
  • TheodorUrhed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheodorUrhed polycounter lvl 4
    Looking very good, the sculpt is really clean and the face looks amazing! The hardsurface is coming along nicely too.
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2qdrkn4.png

2icbouo.png

Progress so far and some colours in zbrush. Still need to revisit the cloth and model her feet.
  • grymac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking great so far! everything's pretty spot on, you can give her larger anime eyes to match the concept
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    grymac wrote: »
    looking great so far! everything's pretty spot on, you can give her larger anime eyes to match the concept
    I think the face is just perfect the way it is now.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Super job! I really love this style and you have managed to push it a bit more. Great work.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    my goodness. this is really coming along well!! The colored WIP looks so lively already. Your translation of a more realistic Aigis is spot on. The persona fan in me is astonished.

Inb4 some game journalist decides to feature this piece on a persona fan art article.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade - Haha, little pointy nubs can be cool too!
    Thank for you pointing that out, I'd love the functionality to look semi-believable. Is a twist axis a helix shape like this?
    twist-tool.jpg
    That's be one option, but in keeping with the shoulder's design I think you'd just add a parting line between bicep and shoulder that would allow for the arm to rotate around its centre axis.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    This is coming up great!

I would think it would be more faithful if she had a younger face as she is meant to look like a highschooler, unless that's not a look you're aiming for. Either way the model is looking fantastic :)

3dHGOF2.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Looking amazing so far!
    Love what you did.
    seems like your art direction is way more realistic than the concept you are using (wich is fine!) but I feel it makes the simplification of the legs a little strange.
    I would amplify the curves of the legs a bit but that's only my opinion. I don't know the character much or anything.

Anyway, once again great work, i'll be following the progress!
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Oh, I love what you have done with this character. I like it so much that I don't even have any crits, sorry haha.

Your work on her face is particularly impressive!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    This is looking amazing! I don't have much of a crit since everything seems spot on, she's just missing her SEES armband and her headphones could use some proportion adjustments I think, the red portion is not as thick in the concept. Also her wrist weapon is missing the visible bullet but none of that is really a big deal.
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again everyone for your comments! Haven't done much new modelling to fix your crits yet, been trying to learn some keyshot this weekend.

2h6x1nc.png

esrndz.png

Poribo - thanks for your paintover! I'm going to have another look at the face before baking :)
    Tits - Thank you, yes I definitely agree the legs look quite shapeless, after posing her a bit they definitely need some attention, thanks for calling it out.
    NegevPro - Thanks, I'll look at all of those and fix it! Yep in the final I wanna do a shot with some bullets flying about everywhere.

Now just have to apply the crits and finish the high poly and give all the elements more attention. There's so much more work to do still!
    I've just taken on some work which means my evenings are going to be very busy so I won't have much time to work on her for a while, so going to put this on hold temporarily...
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey! This one turn out gourgeous! Great work with the details. I cant wait to see it with hair! Nice job =D
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, its been about a year but I decided to pick this up again!
    Baked all the maps down to low poly though she's still mega in terms of tri count. So many damn elipses.
    I wanted to make her face a little more realistic so I ended up reworking the facial proportions again and made her eyes a little smaller, though still going for a FF vibe.
    Next step is hair creation so hopefully she'll look a bit cuter. 
    Something is bothering me a bit about her still but it might just be the blank stare, please crit if you spot anything/have any comments!

Thanks for looking!

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Liking her face a lot now. Can't wait to see how you do hair-planes+texture now.
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PYRZERN Thanks! Hope I can pull it off, gonna be a lot of work!

Started on the hair, put in some chunky planes to block out the basic shape. The image on the right is a paintover of how I want the strands to look. Gonna try creating some hair planes from baked splines instead of painted like usual, hoping to get more maps out of them and hopefully a better result. The hair also needs way more depth, hoping to create that by baking AO and maybe using parallax. Also the cast shadow of the planes themselves might help.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do your head textures look like right now?  I really like that "dewey" look.  Is it just an ever slightly shinier roughness map?
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian - Yeah the values are probs a little off at the moment as I've just been doing it by eye, I'll probably wait until I have everything textured before deciding if there's too much shininess in the overall character. Maps are pretty simple, the normals are mostly just high res detail as the face is pretty high poly and the forms are quite subtle.

• future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent a few evenings working on strand placement and refining the parameters in marmoset, transparency makes a huge difference in getting some depth variation. Not touched the back of the head yet, should create a more interesting silhouette from the front view though.
    Please fire away with any crit on the placement/hair texture, this is my first attempt at making realistic hair textures from scratch so I want to learn!
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Mind blowing awesome work!

• future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on the hair, pretty happy with it so far. Might tweak the positioning of some of the strands in the front view to overlap more onto the face. Blonde hair is both more and less forgiving than dark tones in different ways! Also I think she needs more silhouette breakup in the front view...
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    just popping in to say this is fantastic :) looking forward to the end result
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *dies happily*

I'm also working on hair planes right now for my proj (avatar pic). You 're an inspiration that I must not be lazy or just half-ass the art piece.
  • future-fiction
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm ok with my hair placement atm... but the alpha is ...... bleh. It looks too strippy and not .... strandy enough, lol.
    Maybe I will do the texture first, then place the hairplanes around, instead of do all hairplanes then texture them...

Which one did you do first ?