Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thief Inspired Level

Hello all. This is a level I am doing based off of a Thief concept I found. I have done the blockout and I textured a couple of the assets so that I could show at GDC this past week. Please let me know what you all think : ) SsyAFx5.jpg
NkXyIId.jpg
mjZo8GF.jpgU1q2Xkd.jpg
5j82EXp.jpg
hIPfHws.jpg
IWmQgwq.jpg
VzR7l0B.jpg

Replies

• Ernesto_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, for reference I am using Maya to model;the Substance Suite to texture; Marmoset to render the individual assets; and I am currently in the process of putting all this in Unreal 4.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    40,000 tris for a table? seems a bit much. is it intended for real time?
  • Ernesto_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is meant for real time. Now the 40,000 is the table combined with the jars and everything on top with all four legs. But yes you are very right. I got too greedy with the polys. Thank you for pointing that out. I appreciate it.
  • james swanson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    james swanson polycounter lvl 5
    Hey man this is looking pretty good visually, but I'm concerned about how you're spending your tris. Regardless of your triangle budget, there is no excuse for inefficient modelling. The table you have is a whopping 40k triangles, which is pretty overkill for such an asset. However I'm concerned more about the difference in tri count between the table and the vase.

997baa1ccd3ba3c3d4d80ce4c5c5f6fc.png

Now, the vase is bigger and it's much more likely to be seen compared to the legs of the table, so it should have a higher mesh density, but as you can see it does not. The legs however are really high res, even though the details are smaller and will almost never be seen. Most of the ridges of the legs of the table can be achieved with the normal map, so those can pretty much be cut completely. Regarding the number of segments going around the circumference of the legs, you could get away with 10-16. The normal maps can handle that curvature easily, and you'll save a lot of tris. There are many areas where you could completely cut out the geometry and have the normal map handle the detail: the handle for the drawer, the legs, the bevel of the drawer, the neck of the bowl on the right, the bevel of the table top. Also, there seems to be a huge difference in the topology of the left and right legs. Was this intentional? Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
  • Ernesto_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added more geo for the legs I guess because I was so worried and got caught up with the silhoutee that I did not sit and consider if it was efficient. I realize now that after I made the table base I did not put as much love into what was going to be seen more. I need to go back and optimize the legs and def spend my tris more wisely. Thank you for pointing that out : )
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, a consistent poly density, like a consistent texel density, is really nice to have. The difference in polycount between the round table and square table is a bit much.

That being said, the props do look quite nice so far, looking forward to seeing more.
  • Ernesto_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys..so its been a bit but I've hard working on this level...i fixed up the density of the meshes from before, especially since I realized they are not necessarily the main assets I want to show off. With that said I made sure to optimize my polys better for the rest of the props. I have been texturing and working within Unreal 4 and here is the progress I have made. Of course there are def texture work that still needs to be finished (i.e. the bath tub, big table, floors): RhWBnya,7uK6PBb,tpnllPA,P2CjCDC,nbS8oVo#0
    7uK6PBb.jpg
    tpnllPA.jpg
    P2CjCDC.jpg
    nbS8oVo.jpg
  • Ernesto_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dammit the other picture didn't work...let me repost
    RhWBnya.jpg
  • Ernesto_V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: finished first pass textures of the tub...working on a water shader to put in the tub and then adjust the textures
    nOdFYhh.png
    D5L6K9W.png
    pkBKD8u.jpg