Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Destiny Fan Art - Mars Station

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
Latest Update

Mars:

Hey guys just started a new project on my lunch break.

here is the concept
VwKpz1tjpg

and this is what i have so far
5soJM5Sjpg

let me know what you guys think!

Replies

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    i focused on the scaling today and really try to get it to where it needs to be i feel the scale is pretty close now but let me know what you guys think

lKyx6V6.jpg
    75kRFud.jpg
    eSZVU3v.jpg
  • nastobi123
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    oohhh snap !! Was a big fan of Destiny concept art. Can't wait to see this get finished.
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! they do an amazing job dont they?

and today's update
    Z5rh9o7.jpg

not much progress that you can see :/ did work on the interior of the center building but i still need to add the env and cars and stuff like that but as always please let me know what you guys are thinking :)
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    How do you plan on building assets? Right now it looks like you are attempting to build the entire building out of one mesh? Not really sure of your plan of attack based on what we have seen so far.

My recommendations are building some nice ground tiling textures, using vert painting to create some nice landscaping. Then using trim/atlas sheets to build the majority of your modular assets out of and then kit bashing the building. You could then build the big landmark/hero prop pieces as unique assets. In this case though, looks like you could get away with BSP stairs, landscape geo, and a majority of the vista. Then using debris kit pieces to build the broken areas of both playable space and the vista.

Would be cool to build a grey scale vista tiling sheet for the debris, maybe? Then tinting into the color that would fit the walls and whatnot. Would allow for maximum variation for your vista buildings, and keep material/texture cost low. Would be one instanced variable material instruction for huge amounts of customization.

Just some ideas! I would take your pretty solid block out, pop it into UE4 or Cry or whatever engine and start getting to work with some blockout BSP over your blockout model. Technically you could use tiling vista buildings, but I think BSP would give you the most control to create something awesome if you are comfortable with it.

Good luck! keeping an eye on this, as I am working on a small diorama in the style of destiny myself.
  • BobtheGreatII
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    If you haven't already, check out this video and skip to 21:48. They talk a lot about how they built the Off World Transit building.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbbrxHpblCA[/ame]
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you guys so much for the replies! :)

@add3r very good points i am planning on doing it modular but i guess i haven't bee showing it sorry ill do my best to break it down in this post :)
    BSPs that never crossed my mind but i do see some points there, a few places i can see where that will be pretty awesome i will have to defiantly try that out

@bobthegreatll
    Wow that was a sweet little bit i love how they explain there process soo cool!

So this time i realized i haven't done a good job showing individual assets and i think a bit more planning on my end needs to go down some of these assets might end up shrinking the more i look at the center walk way top the more i see how i could break that down

Center walk way top
    jVDKEFl.jpg
    this piece will be borken up into different pieces since there are alot of repeating shapes here

uvzwaXl.jpg
    this piece just needs some refining make the vent a bit bigger vertically

fonvJ62.jpg
    just need to smooth out some shapes here

kzhUsk8.jpg
    im starting to plan out the interior of this section blocking it out first and then develop the assets that will go there,alot more planning needs to go into this to make it a nice space for the player...might do a quick paint over later today

E2IrU2g.jpg
    alot more work needs to go into this piece to break up the geometic shapes that are my destruction right now

ANMy2ui.jpg
    need to refine the destruction make it less geometric

ldAuDCc.jpg
    this piece needs refining could break it up into modular bits to use in other places

NuIoquW.jpg
    max block out

CGKla41.png
    in UE4 rough lighting and env effects need to play with the background play with the versatility of the bg buildings

w3HkOzV.jpg
    a closer shot
    MniEw2K.png
    showing some thoughts on how ill lite the area under the big building

I hope I've done a better job showing what I'm doing, let me know what you guys think :D
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    lunch break got cut short today :/
    anyway was able to do a few things made some modular pieces for the background assets.

VWLcIe0.jpg

let me know what you guys think
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Still alot of work todo but started messing modular enviroments will show break downs tomorrow but so far this is what i have. What do you guys think?

Qwys64q.jpg
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    My only conern at the moment is that your curved pieces all look very lowpoly. Are you going to add a few more segments to smooth them out later?
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    @Urgaffel thank you man good eye I have fixed the meshes thank you man

xAJttUr.jpg
    EaZ1be2.jpg

also here is a wip of the modular building components i am working on
    ZoA2Nfx.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    so part 2 and a majority of tonights update will be an asset list/road map

so i was looking at my scene and trying to figure out what to make/do/how the heck am i gunna texture stuff ...so i booted up destiny and started running around getting a feel for what bungie did for mars and it kinda blew my mind hahah

so first off textures

im planning on modeling out these textures then baking them down and possibly making a pattern in Photoshop

so first off
    Metal Panels

Ceramic Tiles

building girders

Floor tiles

Now for the models

Billboard

Bushes

Car A

Circular Light

Crate A

Crate B

Hand Rail Curved and straight

Light Pole

Pillar

Solar Panel

Support Beam
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    so today i was able to get a little work in

focused on some of the props,

Support Beam and Crate A
    GKPdY2Z.jpg?1

Let me know what you guys think
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys its been awhile, life and work have defiantly gotten the best of me and lets not leave out the free week of star citizen lol

any way here is a Wip of the solar Panels let me know what you guys think
    GdZ689d.jpg
    Sct4U7l.jpg
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    jesus chirst, some of those screenshots are almost 5000 px wide. That's larger than my two work monitors side by side. Maybe shrink a them just a tiny bit?
  • DoX.
    urgaffel wrote: »
    jesus chirst, some of those screenshots are almost 5000 px wide. That's larger than my two work monitors side by side. Maybe shrink a them just a tiny bit?

I agree with this person...

It's looking cool so far!
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    most of us know what destiny looks like. no need to post up images you took in game. keep that stuff offline or put it in a collage. :D
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    haha sorry guys so i took out the images
    and thank you @dox

sorry it has been a while since updates been rather busy but here is some stuff i have been able to work on let me know what you guys think

Solar panels- id say im about ready to call them done maybe make a destroyed "wing"
    BBx2nyt.jpg

and

Car- just a quick compact car that is similar to the ones found in destiny on mars....need to do detail passs refine where door and body meets and smooth out some edges and work on the roof.
    xoxi6IA.jpg
    gntDxxL.jpg

But let me know what you guys think :)
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a little work on it last night, tighten up the front and some of the lines around the car
    need to refine the headlight area more, spend a bit more time on the hood and also tighten up the rear of the car.

RfLx1Yr.jpg

• RawrJoey
    This is awesome as hell! As a fellow Guardian, it's great to see fan-art here. Can't wait to see the final product of you smashing some Vex here!
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much @RawrJoey I'm glad you like it :D

so was able to do a bit of work during lunch started on the light poles :)
    still need to add some details but i think shes getting there

quxgoun.jpg

let me know what you guys think :)
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Tighted up the model and added some addition detail i think im calling it done might add some wiring ....still mulling that over
    8lpkwEj.jpg

and here is a progress shot of the environment
    4jajKiT.png
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Tonight i started playing with some lighting to get a feel for what the final scene will have. Kinda exaggerating the mars feel and started the preliminary lighting but i'm pretty happy with it.

OtZ7bie.jpg

Let me know what you guys think :)
  • ed_3D
    Nice progress! Loved those concepts :D

I think the lighting is too orange, and is also making it difficult to see the actual building, that bright sun and the saturated orange is making it hard to focus on the building. I'd personally go for something a bit cloudy + dusty light brownish / desaturated yellow for the sky, like in the concept.

You could also browse through the high res photos snapped by Curiosity rover to get some ideas on the atmosphere/ lighting, land / rock formations etc. :)
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    @ed_3d thanks man i agree with you

ive been lookin at the mars rover pics and lookin at the concept and here is what i have come up with

GAT9Izu.jpg
    7x0adoE.jpg

so right now i need to go in and get rid of my place holders for the bg and finish the props:
    modular piping (50% done)
    stand light
    shelf
    2 easter eggs ;)
    cloth assets
    definitely need to play with cabling

but i have been upresing meshes defiantly need a pass on the stairs but its coming along let me know what y'all think :)
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    so i finally bit the bullet and got zbrush and this is my first dive into zbrush
    got a long way to go but any tip or pointers would be epic!
    tOvtqrs.jpg
    i need to break this up into poly groups so that parts of the mesh that i would benefit from smoothing will smooth and areas that don't need it wont.
    but let me know what you guys think :)
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Round 2:
    7vmfOM9.jpg

another test in zbrush trying to achieve a damaged/destroyed sign, i kinda think the chunks are in the wrong place....might not make sense for a concrete sign or something of similar build

what do yall think :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Have you tried looking into destoyed building pictures from Syria? That might help with what bullet and explosion damage looks like against concrete structures.
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    @brian"panda"Choi oh wow! i never thought of that, thats really good reference thanks man!

here is what i came up with after looking at that, i like it alot better thank you man!

what do you think?

lNBOJ37.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    The last zbrush test of the evening

mzXILXG.jpg

let me know what you guys think
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    more test sculpts i feel like I'm on the right track though really liking the look of these

MlWCt1H.jpg
    xtQWUcp.jpg

what do you guys think?
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    so i thought it needed some lights so i lighted it up a bit....also think i may need some more props....what do you guys think?

myPreCM.jpg
    vwMLDIE.jpg
    yA2hXeI.jpg
    Ita1ZEp.jpg
  • Tetranome
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    xtQWUcp.jpg

^ This one looks good :) Some nice varying details.

26905ead2e.jpg

For your others you could use a bit more variety in the edges - right now they're all the same distance from the next and it looks subconciously unnatural to the eye. But that's just me - your reference could be exactly as you've sculpted it.
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    @tetranome thank you so much man! this past weekend i attempted to implement your critic but my pc kicked rocks....so hopefully mid next week ill be able to act on your awesome critic!

but here is a wip of the current progress of the environment that i forgot to post, let me know what you guys think :)

IQ3ph55.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    She lives!!!

it has been soo long since i have worked on this beast but finally found some time this weekend....pretty much 90% uved now! wooo! and i tweaked some lighting and started messing with a rough, rough color comp trying to see what base colors i want things to be. In the early stages of planning out repeatable textures ( this will dictate uv placement all of it is unfolded pending placement). Paint over and material break down will be the next step so stay tuned :) anyway critics comments allways welcome :D

YpqDQWc.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    6WxtZY5.jpg
    ok one more shot :)
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys,

started working on material defs and getting in place holders for colors and material types,
    added more structures to the background and tweaked the lighting a bit.

xdKL0JG.jpg
    wC57WHZ.jpg

comments and crits always welcome :D
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Gotta say, you're showing some major dedication to doing this piece... it's a lot to take on considering the actual mars station environment in Destiny was done by several artists let alone one on his own so kudos and keep working dude (Y)

on a side note... since there's still a lot untextured etc the only thing I can really crit on with this is scales etc... I'm not sure how the original environment looks with it's surrounding buildings because I've pretty much put Destiny down indefinitely now but the buildings surrounding your main one look abnormally bigger and I can't remember whether their scales were that far off from each other in the game... you'll probably know but that's all I can really pick off this right now until you start getting into micro details on the environment piece like you were doing earlier with the chipped stone edge.

Keep going man (Y)
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the kind words and keen eye, I'll have to run around mars again to get a feel for it....just moved so I need to find the box that I have my xbox in....lol

I was able to carve out some time to start the texturing process.....I am a bit unsure of the tile size/color since this appears to be the same material as the long rectangles that skirt the walk way...the grout is defiantly too dark lol..but let me know what you guys think

needs to do for this Mesh
    -clean up Normal
    -clean up AO
    -Metallic map
    -spec map
    -roughness map

B3q2Van.jpg
    fXarLjo.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking where this is going, fixed the color of the grout and started adding detail to the pipes on the side......still need to clean up a few things. But what do yall think?

80icleE.jpg
    iwzT8Ds.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Really solid Cglewis, and some seriously admirable dedication. Keep going!

In the interest if figuring out what you need to tighten up the scene further have you considered going over the concept piece with a paint over and highlighting various objects with different colors based on how they would break down to build the scene? Here's an example that Coxy did for one of the monthly challenges: http://i57.tinypic.com/2vdi1w8.jpg

A color toned paint over like that might help you define what your scene needs to tighten up, as well as little ways to bring it more in line with the concept. Like the fact that the concept doesn't actually have any bollards in it, just something circular near the street lamp (could be a junction box?). That lamp in question looks like it's about as tall as the second landing of the stairs leading into the structure, suggesting the stairs reach significantly higher overall. And there's actually what looks like a lot of sage brush style foliage running rampant through the area.

Actually now that I stop and look at it, it seems like that lamp that's closest to the viewer is actually shorter than the one's in the background. One of them has a tangle of tarp or cloth dangling from it. Perhaps those arent lamps, maybe they were flag poles? That might explain the disparity.

Anyway I hope any of this helps and I'm really excited to follow your progress!
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    @stinkhorse, thank you man really appreciate the kind words

i think it needs more backgound buildings i was running around mars the other night and i felt really really small....when i run around the world here i dont get that sense...

the lamp post is something i have struggled with comparing it back and forth from what i have to the concept it is hard to figure out what those poles are in the back ground the poles seem to be higher than the walk way and in the foreground they feel smaller....so that kinda vexes me. I have thought about added flag poles later in project with the cloth dangling.

You are correct the bollards are not in the concept, i drew those from the actual game, if you feel it detracts for the game i can totally remove them. I want to use the concept as inspiration but i really want this to feel that it is in the Destiny universe.

I need to do that color paint over as you suggested just have not gotten around to it yet :/

but i really appreciate the feed back it really means alot :D

here is the progress i did before i saw your post....lol the next thing i do will be your color paint over :)

I can't wait to hear what you guys think

m3eRcO3.jpg
    wobUM22.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    ARG!!!
    @stinkhorse I totally forgot to do the paint over......during my lunch break i will.

But here is my latest progress i fleshed out the lower sign area and worked on the sign. I will have to create a video to show yall the sweet flicker. let me know what you guys think :)
    HpGPBoU.jpg
    F1o15FH.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    -INCOMING- WIP MONDAY!

So I was able to do some work on the piece I think its coming along rather well

AkCyO3P.jpg
    PcmT3Sc.jpg
    DfnGmOJ.jpg

So what did i do?
    I worked on the concrete slab and the main building in the back
    I have some issues with the concrete slab, need to clean up some uv seems (due to sloppy uv lay out on the concrete aka lazy) and I need more material definition on the Main building in the back

What needs to be done?
    -A base metal texture needs to be made for the BG env assets
    -Decals need to be made for the BG env assets to make them unique and interesting
    -Create foliage
    -Create secondary vehicle asset because not everyone on mars drives a prius
    -create distant light orbs
    -Create OWT flags and flag poles
    -Create Cloth for front of env and bg Cloth assets
    -Create misc ground cover
    -Create Floating Particles
    -Create blowing sand effect
    -Texture env conc slabs
    -Texture Stairs
    -Texture Side Block
    -Texture pillars
    -Texture Under Main building
    -Texture Crate
    -Texture solar Panel
    -Texture car

Target Due Date
    -November 15th

I think that covers everything kinda a big update but yeah let me know what you guys think, got a long way to go but i feel she is shaping up :)
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats up polycount!

so last night I did some work on my mars scene
    -Completely overhauled the lighting
    -implemented the first version of my skydome
    -reworked the sand
    -did a bit of work on the covered walkway texture
    -implemented and tweaked the first iteration of atmospherics

but let me know what you guys think :)

2sTO9qE.jpg
    3evr7Mj.jpg
    aWSCr34.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update today:
    -Built repeatable Outdoor tile
    -Still needs variation (dirt, grim, etc...) to be added will do with decal actors
    -Thinking of closing off main covered area with like glass walls....thoughts?

nqNSzfy.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

So last night I did some work on the blocks to the left and right of the center walkway. I am pretty happy with how they came out.....but
    I also changed up the lighting (from orange to light blue) and added IES profiles to most of my lights

JWoJonf.jpg
    O19pCp9.jpg

Thoughts from Last nights work:
    -Lighten up the grout on the blocks
    -Tweak spec values so the tiles are more pronounced on the blocks
    -Texture seam on the stairs needs to be fixed
    -Create Decal actors to add customized dirt, grim...etc

Have a great Tuesday y'all!
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Really liking the progress of this so far!

The lighting changes and dust/atmosphere you added really helps a lot.

The problem I'm having right now is the sky/bg is a lighter color than the focal point of the scene. Instead of my eye going towards the ruined building and center steps, I end up focusing on the sky and background first and then moving to the main part of the scene.
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    @beefaroni oh i can see that now, great eye man! I will have to play with the skybox/lighting to fix that issue

Im hoping the atmosphere will appear to darkin up after i add texture to the bg buildings.....and I am sure the lighting will be totally rebuilt by then....The shadows do feel pretty dark in these images...