polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Minos polycounter lvl 16
Final Submission:

Temple of Utu
by Martin "MartinH" Holmberg & Thiago "Minos" Klafke

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGi1LON-fRw[/ame]

Summary:
Our environment takes place in a distant planet where a civilization was built upon a complex mythology based on the worship of their host star, Utu. This planet is surrounded by several moons each represented by a specific deity that plays a major role in controlling the planet's natural cycles. On the 333th day of each year, the rising sun shines directly on the throne, signaling the beginning of 7 days of darkness. This period which is believed to be the Underworld god Nedu returning to judge the recently deceased is in fact caused by a huge moon (also known as Nedu) eclipsing the host star and plunging the planet into darkness.

(Even though we didn't stick with the idea of the sun hitting the throne, the rest is still valid :) )

Software Used:
3ds Max, Zbrush, Unreal Engine 4, Xnormal, Photoshop, Bitmap2Material, 3D Coat, Quixel Suite.

I did experiment with Substance Painter for the Throne a bit but due to being super busy with crunch and GDC I ultimately dropped it since I'm not experienced with it yet. Still a great opportunity to get my hands on it and I'll be definitely integrating it into my pipeline!

Beauty Renders:
TempleOfUtu_Final_01.jpg
TempleOfUtu_Final_02.jpg
TempleOfUtu_Final_03.jpg

Throne Construction Shot:
TempleOfUtu_Final_04.jpg

Thanks Allegorithmic & Polycount for setting this up, We had a blast working on this! Really cool to see so many awesome entries and good luck everyone :)

---- Original post ---

Hey guys, me & MartinH are teaming up for this with "The Temple of Utu".

Summary:

Our environment takes place in a distant planet where a civilization was built upon a complex mythology based on the worship of their host star, Utu. This planet is surrounded by several moons each represented by a specific deity that plays a major role in controlling the planet's natural cycles. On the 333th day of each year, the rising sun shines directly on the throne, signaling the beginning of 7 days of darkness. This period which is believed to be the Underworld god Nedu returning to judge the recently deceased is in fact caused by a huge moon (also known as Nedu) eclipsing the host star and plunging the planet into darkness.

Blockout:

Our first blockout, which will probably change quite a bit, specially the throne area:
blockout_3dsmax.jpg

Moodboard:
moodboard.jpg

And some trims:
trim02_sculpt.jpg
trim03_sculpt.jpg

For this entry we will be using 3ds max, zbrush, photoshop and substance.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to a kickass contest :D

Replies