Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

EVOLVE environment models

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
jafo polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys,

This is an art dump of some of the modeling work I did for EVOLVE. I was in charge of anything and everything man-made for the environments. My biggest job was building all of the main objective structures for the maps. I also made a lot of props including most of the vehicles and ships.

vehicles:

P5eUeuP.jpg
jY8KX30.jpg
K6HLQyi.jpg
2XHBnu2.jpg
PYrK0iT.jpg
q29gDwl.jpg
fWvHIcz.jpg
Duz5Yyw.jpg
QbjIjZE.jpg
dIhxUhw.jpg
tBoSVtO.jpg
tIGZtzR.jpg
rFyJZQ1.jpg
SBJnYpz.jpg
ptWrR9P.jpg

This isn't actually a vehicle, this is "Bullet Bob". He was an ammo supply drone that followed the hunters around the map. He was cut from the game when ammo became infinite.

G7DgBPy.jpg

Replies

• jafo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    Here are some screenshots of the look-dev environments I built during pre-production.

Ndp5Jq5.jpg
    07WcHf3.jpg
    iIaGvma.jpg
    lkghxvn.jpg
    ILN7TsX.jpg
    MFaBzLr.jpg
    vB5qIcG.jpg
    6ojvrH0.jpg
    nVrXffW.jpg
    0QqOVev.jpg
    z3AkSRS.jpg
    XrGaLTf.jpg
    HRGLw5J.jpg
    gZLBEiV.jpg
    EEi0lQ0.jpg
    rVRAFIy.jpg
  • jafo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    These are all the objective structures I built for the game.

NYyYauo.jpg
    GklerTn.jpg
    sH5RraS.jpg
    Zx9WfUP.jpg
    clRaljg.jpg
    tDBgSNP.jpg
    r3MSnC2.jpg
    HYo19ZI.jpg
    K7m000z.jpg
    Dypgo4K.jpg
    jxWvI67.jpg
    mG4RlCH.jpg
    Q2J9jln.jpg
    F6msIU5.jpg
    5rXXJ0b.jpg
    ep98dbE.jpg
  • jafo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    objective structures

6I3Vgvi.jpg
    Lqcaq7J.jpg
    5apznIS.jpg
    83rhNRA.jpg
    UDfJoCW.jpg
    hYYXXUD.jpg
    c83oCJF.jpg
    iJAALH3.jpg
    xiBIHxh.jpg
    aHhViZa.jpg
    vMNjwJH.jpg
    QmARiaD.jpg
    AxilZJB.jpg
    obYztdW.jpg
    HT0OuDs.jpg
    Xfdp0jX.jpg
  • jafo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    objective structures

W62ro5t.jpg
    TLUhcmR.jpg
    WpEWFBQ.jpg
    Mff7fwH.jpg
    ralzUeo.jpg
    CUCabQB.jpg
    NVLOBEz.jpg
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    These are cool as hell :)
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Holy crap awesome overload. Nice work! Any cool tips or tricks you learned while creating these?
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    So much great work! I second what Gannon said too.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    WOW! your on some next level shit here. this stuff looks great! did you get alot of production concepts or were you kinda able to have a little freedom with some of the assets?
  • jafo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    I plan to share some breakdowns when a get a little more free time.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Good lawd, these are nice!
  • RILKE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RILKE polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic work!
    This stuff is really inspirational,thanks for making my day!
    And thanks a bunch for sharing this.Great work!
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
    jafo wrote: »
    ptWrR9P.jpg

Reminds me of the nebuchadnezzar from Matrix. I remember that one also having those round magnets all over the hull. I like it. :)
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    These are AWESOME! Looking forward to seeing the breakdowns. :D
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    AbKI wrote: »
    These are AWESOME! Looking forward to seeing the breakdowns. :D

+1

Great work !
  • FW911TTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FW911TTW polycounter lvl 5
    I love the vehicles!
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing work, really nice industrial elements.
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    Top notch work all around man, thank you for sharing!
  • jafo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    Bummer6 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the nebuchadnezzar from Matrix. I remember that one also having those round magnets all over the hull. I like it. :)

This is a "space" tugboat. We thought it made sense that these large ships that came down to the planet would need help docking just as a ship does in the ocean.
    I took the screen shot form the wrong side, so you can't see the name on the hull...go me. Here's a screen that's in the Art of EVOLVE book:

duSaAvs.jpg
  • jafo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    I missed a vehicle, here's one more:

8rNSK8l.jpg
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Wah that's huge! Thanks for sharing your work with us. I second the question about the concepts. To what extent did you take part of the design process?
  • Emanuel_palalic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emanuel_palalic polycounter lvl 6
    I love all of the environment work in this, this is amazing
  • jafo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    There were no concepts for the vehicles aside from very rough sketches I made just to explore simple ideas. I used a lot of varying reference to piece together elements that I thought would make an interesting vehicle. The machine vehicles like the dump truck, bulldozer, and drilling machines are based more on real world machines with small twists added to push them into a more sci-fi look such as using robotic legs instead of treads.

For the structures, we had a huge amount of reference sheets of industrial machines and locomotives. The main structures had a simple level design block-out and a rough proxy model to help guide the overall form. Design changes and performance would sometimes guide us in a different direction, so quite often they were designed on the fly. I helped develop the "Locotech" aesthetic so creating these structures on the fly was pretty straight forward.

I'm working on a breakdown of my basic process, I will post it soon!
  • jafo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    OK so here's a basic breakdown of how I built one of the structures for the game. As a preface, none of this is terribly earth shattering. Many artists work in a similar fashion, this just shows how I go about it.

The first thing I made before building any of the structures in the game was to establish a texture set that was flexible enough to build anything and everything we needed for man-made structures and machines. It started with basic tile-able metal panels and tile-able metal trims. This is an organic process, so as I began to establish my LEGO set, the textures would evolve with them as needed. I try not to get married to any given element because I want the flexibility to change things as needed. At this point I start to gather modeled elements to compile into my LEGO set. Because of all the pre-production look-dev work I had already done on the project, I had a pretty hearty supply of assets to add to my set. Below is the master LEGO set that everything was initially built from:

91YuXwP.jpg
    cI9wr26.jpg
    II2g3PM.jpg
    0mlgqMc.jpg
    khmcyay.jpg
    gduBPWy.jpg
    Za3jdcE.jpg
    mT7NERW.jpg

As the project went on, this master LEGO set grew into this. If you look closely, you can see all the structures mixed in there:

YcNnoZX.jpg

This process helps me build things very quickly because I can obviously pull from a huge library of assets so I don't have to repeat things. For instance, if I know I've already built a set of support beams that would fit under a catwalk system I need to make, then I can quickly grab them and use them or at the very least alter them to get what I need. This can be at the very granular level such as a simple metal brace or coupling to a very broad level when I need a cylindrical machine element at the top of a tower. Many times I can just re-use a model and simply shift the UVs to a different section of the texture atlas or swap the tile-able metal to something completely different. I try to build my texture sets with that in mind, it makes them much more versatile. For example, if I mapped some pipes to the red portion of the vertical trim texture but I was not happy with it in game because the rest of the structure is red and I wanted to add some contrast, I would just shift the UVs to the yellow or white portion of the trim texture.

Here is an example reference sheet we used for the man-made objects as well as the texture set used for the example structure seen below. Whenever possible, I try to put as much texture into a large atlas as possible to reduce the amount of textures used and to help bring the draw call count down:

UqbYxJO.jpg
    z8vXkyH.jpg

This is the pmb (personal med-bay) launcher platform. The pmb is a pill shaped module that plugs into the top of the rocket where the gap is. The rocket can hold 4 of these pmb modules. In the image below, you can see the proxy model in grey on the left. This wasn't necessarily a concept but more a guide to establish a silhouette:

Pprvlpi.jpg

This shows what the repeated elements are. Since the platform is round, each element's pivot point is at the center so it was very easy to mirror the launcher by just duplicating it in the editor and rotating it around:

rvdjq5p.jpg
    ePq0TDr.jpg

Here is the final in game model:

HwGJMTN.jpg

As far as actually building the launcher was concerned, there are no tricks or secrets, I just modeled it. The LEGO set is starting point and from there it's just kit-bash to your heart's content until you get the desired look.

Please feel to ask any questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, cheers!
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StraightDraw84 polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Always awesome when people share some breakdowns of their work.

Incredible stuff!
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Incredible breakdown! Thank you so much!
    960.gif
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    thanks for the breakdown!
  • Zombinian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really inspiring work! It gives me some ideas on how to expand my workflow.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the great breakdowns. Really inspiring use of modularity and texture usage, awesome stuff.
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing stuff and breakdowns man! one quick question , how does the lightmap works on the atlas?
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    soooo awesome!
  • jafo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    Here's another model I made for EVOLVE, Daisy's harness, which has a fun story to go with it. After some discussions with Dave Gibson, the animator I worked with on the harness, we thought it would be fun if there was a dog tag. It was, after all, a pet. If I recall correctly, he wanted parts of the harness to be loose so it bounced around as she moved so putting a dog tag worked into that perfectly. I like to listen to movies while I work and on the day I was working on the texture I was watching Snatch. For those who know, Tommy calls the dog that they find the diamond inside "Daisy". That sounded like a great name for this huge beast along with making it a girl as well. Serendipity I suppose.

ZfDelBa.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Stuff looks great!
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Some Beautiful stuff here
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    The env break down, and showing your kit, is hugely helpful. Really cool to see how others approach building large hero assets like this in game, especially with modular bits.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    cool stuff!!

and special thx for the breakdown! :)
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    oh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. So good.
  • Lob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lob polycounter lvl 15
    I´ve no words to express how amazed i´m now...
  • Lowpology
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpology polycounter lvl 11
    Even though it isn't anything technically new like you said, your breakdown is incredibly awesome to see! Thank you so much for posting your art and the breakdown to go with it! You don't see that very often with games.
  • Olninyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olninyo polycounter lvl 10
    oops wrong thread
  • Olninyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olninyo polycounter lvl 10
    This lego kit stuff is wonferful!
    So does the diffuse texture atlas have a corresponding normal map atlas? Or is all the geometric detail done with actual polygons/displacement?
    what resolution did you tend to work at for each modular piece?

Great work!

Olly.
  • jafo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jafo polycounter lvl 3
    Olninyo wrote: »
    This lego kit stuff is wonferful!
    So does the diffuse texture atlas have a corresponding normal map atlas? Or is all the geometric detail done with actual polygons/displacement?
    what resolution did you tend to work at for each modular piece?

Great work!

Olly.

Yes, each texture has a corresponding normal map and spec map. The gloss map is stored in the normal map's alpha channel. There are a few LEGO pieces that have baked normals but for the most part the normal map serves as a bump map, the rest is pure geometry. As we move forward I'm doing more of a hybrid between the 2. The main purposes for using the atlas method is to keep texture counts down which in turn keeps your drawcalls down.

As far as resolution goes, I don't have a strict hard method for maintaining texel density, it's mostly by eye. I know how far I can push a texture before it starts to breakdown. For tiling textures, I usually keep 1024x1024 to 6m. I can sometimes stretch it a bit further, but that's the closet to a "rule" I use for texel density.

d76QdGh.jpg

Hope that answers your questions

cheers
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    I love the way this game is looking. Great work love the art dump :) Super clean. Also, the harness you made is pretty great too :D
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Great breakdowns dude. Those models look great!
  • anlu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anlu polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing work. Thanks a lot for the explanations!
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Jafo! Just wondering how much rigging you've had to do as an environment artist doing more man made objects?
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work, and I love the breakdowns!

The thing that's really confusing me right now is the map with the alphabet and numbers. I don't think I've seen anything like that before. Could you explain or point me to a resource that explains what that is, how it works, and how to use it?
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    This is a freaking incredible dump. Fantastic work. Thanks a ton for the breakdowns!
  • ibrahimarsl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ibrahimarsl polycounter lvl 4