Home General Discussion

Sunlight is not white

RN
sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
RN sublime tool
Hello.
I was looking into what's the "official" colour of sunlight. Is it yellow, is it white?

As it is, the sunlight that touches the surface of objects on earth can be slightly yellow or warm, depending on the time of day and the altitude of your scene.
This can be found through observation, but I was looking for a scientific reason why that's so.

- - - - -

sunlight1.png

The light beams that come from the sun are white. They are not perfectly white, but they're so close to white that we can consider them as such.
White light is the combination of several light colours (see Additive Colour).
The sun is yellow in this picture just for illustration, it does look white when seen from space.

sunlight2.png

When a beam of sunlight enters the atmosphere, that beam is separated in a particular way because of the particles in the atmosphere.
The atmosphere scatters ("distributes") the colder \ bluer hues of light in many directions. This is why the sky appears blue and the general exterior ambient light has a hint of blue. It's a diffuse light, it comes from all directions.
The warmer hues of light are almost not scattered at all, so they follow a very similar direction to what they originally had when they left the sun.
So you have the colder hues being scattered away from the sunlight beam to some extent, and this makes the beam look warmer. The final warmth of a direct sunlight beam depends on how much atmosphere it goes through.

sunlight3.png

The effect is more pronounced the "deeper" that a beam of light enters the atmosphere.
A light beam with a grazing angle, something that happens in a sunrise or sunset, goes through a greater distance in the atmosphere. It hits more particles, so more blue hues are taken away from it. This makes the beams arrive warmer than beams that happen at noon, for example.
At noon, a beam of light is coming more vertically and so it goes through less atmosphere. Less blue hues are taken away from it and it looks colder \ whiter in comparison.

TL;DR:
When you're going to paint or render a scene, the highest that the sun is in the sky (that is, the closer that you are to noon), the whiter the sunlight will be.
When you approach sunrise \ sunset, the sunlight is much more filtered by the atmosphere and the whole environment is tinted towards warmer hues, progressing from white to yellow to orange to red.
Altitude also influences this. When you're up in the sky, the sunlight that reaches you hasn't been filtered as much as when you're down on the ground, so the sunlight in high altitudes feels whiter -- more like it originally was when it left the sun.
This is explained in more detail here: http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae665.cfm

References:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering#Reason_for_the_blue_color_of_the_sky
- http://solar-center.stanford.edu/SID/activities/GreenSun.html
- http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2010/10/14/why-is-the-sun-yellow/
- http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/EnergyBalance/page2.php

Replies

• radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Interesting stuff! Thanks.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Are you saying all the scifi shows got it wrong? =p
    Very cool info, thanks for sharing!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Your own source contradicts you btw.

http://solar-center.stanford.edu/SID/activities/GreenSun.html
    Some think that the Sun's output in visible light peaks in the yellow. However, the Sun's visible output peaks in the green:

I would also argue that the effect is negligible when it comes to rendering because while blue light is diffused, it essentially adds to the ambient component, so what is received by a spectrograph pointing directly at the sun will not be the same as all the mathematical components that add up to the light that is illuminating a surface.

We also have to remember that our brains have an internal white balancing system. Thats why in a room illuminated by an incandescent light bulb, things appear white, but on cameras the truth comes out. (when the camera isn't using auto white balance anyway). Which means that our brain will attempt to treat the dominant light in the scene as white.

And lastly because blue light is scattered it means your ambient component will have a larger amount of blue in it, meaning that the shadows are cooler in comparison to the lit components, which exaggerates the warmth of the light.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Muzz wrote: »
    Thats why in a room illuminated by an incandescent light bulb, things appear white, but on cameras the truth comes out. (when the camera isn't using auto white balance anyway). Which means that our brain will attempt to treat the dominant light in the scene as white.

I've heard that before.
    I don't know if my brain is broken or something, but incandescent bulbs give everything an ugly yellow hue as I see it. I've never in my life noticed this effect.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You just haven't physically noticed it. The effects are limited, but it is actually a physically understood phenomena.

http://www.moillusions.com/black-and-white-spanish-castle-in

Doing a bit more reading on it just now, turns out that while the brain has part of the blame, most of it is in the retina. the cones in our eye apparently become less sensitive to the colours it is detecting, and so it attempts to balance it out, which is why this optical illusion works.

So unless it doesn't work for you, no your brain is not broken.

"The iris (4-6-fold range change) and fast rod/cone adaptation (80-fold) occurs in a few seconds, but the slow rod/cone adaptations (another 40 fold) take o.t.o.o. 10 minutes. Iris control is CNS mediated, of course, and the other mechanisms are reserved for the photoreceptive cells. The slow mechanism is responsible for the slow onset of vision when you go from a well lit area to a rather dark area."
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    it does say that the OUTPUT of visible light peaks in the green, as you quoted, but it also says:
    When we see the Sun at sunrise or sunset, when it is low in the sky, it may appear yellow, orange, or red. But that is only because its short-wavelength colors (green, blue, violet) are scattered out by the Earth's atmosphere, much like small waves are dispersed by big rocks along the shore. Hence only the reds, yellows, and oranges get through the thick atmosphere to our eyes.

so I don't think it contradicts the OP at all
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the part where it is green is when the sun is high in the sky. Which is really where we are interesting in.

Everybody already knows that the sun turns orange through red at sunset.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I'm pretty sure that this is all moot, as our brain has adapted to the tinted light and as such we don't see it. I have no source to link, you can blame one of my old physics teachers if I'm wrong.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Muzz, I don't think that that statement contradicts with what's in the original post because it's referring to the cultural misconception that the sun is stronger in yellow colour, when in fact it happens to be stronger in green.
    Some think that the Sun's output in visible light peaks in the yellow. However, the Sun's visible output peaks in the green:
    However, that statement can be confusing when it's not accompanied with an image of the sun's radiation curve:

solar_irradiance_009.jpg
    Taken from here.

It's known that the peak of the sun's radiation is approximately at the 0.5 nm wavelength mark.
    A wavelength of 0.5 nm corresponds to a greenish colour -- so the strongest colour emitted by the sun is green indeed.
    But by no means is that the only colour emitted by the sun, or else it would look green in space (and we've seen that it looks white).

Blue is one of the primary colours of the light \ additive colour model, and once it's scattered away from the direct sunlight beam, what remains is the mix of warmer hues that tends to ("goes towards") yellow, as written. I hope it's clearer now.

The warmth in direct sunlight is also made stronger when we compare it with shadows: shadows carry only the diffuse light from the blue sky and other faint light bounced by surfaces.
    Wikipedia has an article on sunlight with an interesting graphic, described as the "spectrum of the visible sunlight at approximately sea level:"

sunlight_Graph.png

According to this graphic, direct sunlight should feel warmer than the diffuse light from the blue sky, so your daylight scene has warm highlights and cold shadows\ambient term. The time of day will influence this difference, as explained in the first post.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, the key part you are missing is that white balance is subjective.

There is no objectively correct white balance, our cones and rods are not a uniform sensitivity, and even if they were, as the wave length changes, the energy of the photons change.

So when we are working out how to treat our images that means a lot of it comes down to viewer discretion.

In fact, the object that surround the subject are going to affect the light quality far more than any perceived amount of the sun being yellow. This is due to light bouncing off objects.

In fact if you want to get philosophical about it. A white piece of paper we hold up in sunlight is probably the most white thing you will ever see(unless you personally go to space and see it with your own two eyes). Sunlight is what we base all of our white calculations off, when we compare light bulbs, the bench mark is to get as close to sunlight as possible.
    So while we can analyze a light for it's core components, i would say that we aren't testing what temperature sunlight is, but more working out what our ideal white is.

I hope that makes some sort of sense.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    EDIT: I found some more information, I've added it as the "TL;DR" block in the original post.

Taken from these references:
    - http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae665.cfm
    - http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/EnergyBalance/page2.php
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    If you are thinking about it, you can often see the tint of sunlight and ambient skylight pretty easily. Your brain tends to compensate for the light tint, but not so much that you can't actually identify the color of objects. A fair amount of the compensation is just how you interpret the visual information....you 'know' that a painted white wall is white, so you tend to assume it looks white, but if you look at it and compare it to various objects in the environment, and take into consideration time of day etc, you can get a better sense of the color information you are actually seeing, and notice yellowish tints from direct sunlight, blue tints from clear sky etc.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Ok, the key part you are missing is that white balance is subjective.

[...]

So when we are working out how to treat our images that means a lot of it comes down to viewer discretion.
    This reminded me of a post in Gurney's blog about gamut masking, and how you can make the same grey tone look blue and yellow in different settings:
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com.br/2011/09/part-3-gamut-masking-method.html
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    If you are thinking about it, you can often see the tint of sunlight and ambient skylight pretty easily. Your brain tends to compensate for the light tint, but not so much that you can't actually identify the color of objects.
    I agree. There's a moment in the Practical Light and Colour DVD when the author comments on a backlit picture, stating that you can see the warmth of the sun, the falloff of the bounced light and the coldness of the shadow that comes from the blue skylight:
    practical_Light_And_Colour.png