Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Demo crits

kream
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
kream polycounter lvl 13
Animation section in Polycount?? Pretty excited about this!

Anyways, here's a currentish demo reel I put together a little while ago. Just gauging some thoughts and crits. Hope to be posting here a lot more if work permits. Thanks for looking all!

[vv]116307385[/vv]

Replies

• aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    It's really good!

I doubt you want someone to go through each animation one by one with critiques, but I will say that the feeling I got from the first half of your animations was "this is good, but they're not perfect".. I think each of them had some small flaws that could be polished out. Still your reel clearly shows off your talent. Looking forward to any new stuff you post!
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Good job man, it's looking quite nice.
    I think you need to work on some of the timing and weight of your animations a bit. Some of the (I'm thinking the parkour one is a good example) feel quite light and floaty. Check your curves to give the speed and impact are appropriate for piece.
    Some of the animations have contradicting styles. The first one for example has some really nice slow and solid movements (when he's going for cover). Then it's snapping over a few frames into the next position (getting up). This can be ok when applied in the right situations but they're quite contrasting in this case. Maybe just add a couple of frames on the getting up part so it doesn't look too snappy.

As aesir said it's clear you have talent so it'll be nice to see some more up to date stuff from you =]
  • manilamerc
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
    what is that music from? it sounds so damn familiar
  • PeteHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    I absolutely love the aliens reaction at 00:08 when his pistol is shot out of his hand, perfect little details like that are a treat! Keep it up
  • gnomgrol
    I agree with aesir, most of them have minor flaws, but they still show talent! When you think one of your animations is finished, let some critical 3rd party have a look and ask if something feels "a little off".
  • kream
    Offline / Send Message
    kream polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Just got laid off, so looks like I have all the time in the world to really focus on personal stuff again. Will take all your notes into consideration, thanks again!

manilamerc, thats Linus and Lucy (peanuts theme) by Gary Hoey.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    This isn't really about the animation but more the package.

Grid aren't pretty, The model with texture, if you don't want to bother yourself doing render and light and you just want to do playblast, put flat shaded texture, it will look more appealing. Also the grey on grey on grey make it really less attractive to the high. You don't need something fancy, just put a sky background or even a light blue plane, Small aesthetic details like that go a loooooong way. Also it's stupid but the prettier something look, the easier it is to NOT see the small default.

Don't forget that yes an animator may not cared if you sky is pretty or if it's all grey, but the first person who would look your demo could and will probably not be an animator but an RH or an Art director who know meh about animation, and if I was to received 2 demo reel of similar talent, My tast would prefer the most attractive one.
  • kream
    Offline / Send Message
    kream polycounter lvl 13
    Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted. Here are a couple cycles I've been toying with. Crits are ALWAYS welcome. Thanks again.

run.gif

pw.gif

walk.gif
  • kream
    Offline / Send Message
    kream polycounter lvl 13
    Just realized I should probably edit those so they actually cycle in the player...