Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student work

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Elithenia polycounter
Hi everyone!

I'm working on a project in university, where we have to go back to an older project (1 week project) and continue working on it for another 3 weeks.
This is the first weeks project:

PlaceOfMind030-675x337jpg

I started in 3d but ended up doing it as a digital painting due to program failures.
However, we now should work on this for another 3 weeks, so I decided to try to make the image more dynamic and interesting.
I tried working with the light and shadow first in the image, to then worry about getting the right colours to accompany this atmosphere.

It is still in progress, but any feedback on how to make this more interesting or more dynamic will be greatly appreciated!

(there will be a small fairy where the blue light is in the image)
Rework01-1024x576jpg
Rework04-1024x576jpg
Rework04_colour1-1024x576jpg
Rework04_colour2-1024x576jpg
Rework05-1024x576jpg

Replies

• gavinli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinli polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Elithenia,

How are you getting on with your project? The image is off to a good start and you've obviously planned it out carefully in your head which is great. One of the things that immediately jumps out is the darkness of the piece. You can still have the piece fairly dark but staring out with not quite 100% black will give a lot more wiggle room to accentuate the darks later on and let you control the piece more. Judging from the first week piece, it may be good to aim for material definition by studying from references, asking yourself if the trees look like trees or the rocks look appropriate and so forth. As I mentioned though you're off to a nice start, just work on pushing some more light and be liberal in roughing in some sketchy details for the contours of tree barks and the like to see if that helps you to take more control of the composition on the fly. I think the yellow and blue would start to make a fantastic colour palette :)

I hope that helps and keep it up!

Best regards,

Gavin
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Hi Gavin,
    Thank you for the feedback!
    We had to hand it in just after Christmas, but there is still things that I would want to improve upon, and I'm still not quite sure of how to go about making this better.
    The hardest part for me is definitely to try to keep things loose and liberal, but I'm working on it! ;)
    I tried adding more details to the bark of the tree, and now you can see the little fairy as well. Although I went with a more green in the end. Should I keep the blue you think?
    Or would that steal too much attention from the yellow?

Thanks again,
    Sanna

PlaceOfMind_FINAL_v2_1280px-1024x576.jpg
  • gavinli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinli polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Sanna,

Sorry I couldn't get to the feedback sooner then! I hope it all goes well for you.

If the purpose of the piece isn't purely illustrative then you could start establishing a bit more texture on the trees themselves and defining where the lights are coming from or if there are other elements in the atmospheric background. Otherwise the large black masses on the page can make it harder to guide the viewer's eyes around the composition. Where the the blacks meet the light values create a lot of vibration that make me want to look at those spots but you could have some in-between values for some of the environment. Maybe you could start there and see how things go? As for the colour I think the green would work well too but that can be easily adjusted on the fly as you address some of the dark spots in the image. Hope that helps!

Best regards,

Gavin
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Hi Gavin!
    No worries! and thanks!
    I still want to improve on my paintings, so I'm just happy to get feedback for it, even though I'm not handing it in! =)

Thank you, I'll work on that, and I'll post another picture of it when I've worked a bit more on it :)