Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Illustration - Demons King

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
spasmart polycounter lvl 9
Hi everybody,

This is my first thread on this forum for a illu WIP.
I post there because I need feedback for increase my skill in illustration :)
(posing, ligthing,light bounce etc..)
( sorry for my english, I'm French).

StepByStep.jpg

Now I'll do details

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Looks pretty sweet man. I think you are on the right track with this. Really just push the polish, details.

I'd say try and push the material definition, but also try and think about adding a bit more interest to the image. Right now it's just a demon with a big sword.

The wings are a pretty simple shape, and really could help sell the image. Perhaps you could emphasis SSS through the wings and have a back glow. I'd say adding some bronze/gold to the sword would help make the design a bit more robust.

I think a good target point for material definition might be some of this guys work. http://kilartdev.deviantart.com/art/ver2-506769010?q=gallery%3AKilartDev%2F44604402&qo=0

Keep it up.:thumbup:
  • gavinli
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinli polycounter lvl 3
    How are you getting on with this piece spasmart?

I don't think I could do what you've posted so far better myself but in the dark areas it's easy to hide a lot of details there. You could define another light source as a reason to light up the piece more interestingly such as a rim light near the lower part of the composition (maybe to outline his legs?). Otherwise if you purposely want to keep the darks very dark then you could--as Muzz mentioned--push the details and material definition in the lit areas so the piece looks like matte overall.

Shoot over an update when you're ready - I'd love to see more!

Best regards,

Gavin
  • spasmart
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz - Thanks, I tried to do more interest to the image but didn't found how ^^. I start to do sss in the wings, not ended :p and good ref btw :D

Gavinli - thanks for feedback :) you can see were I'm in attached to this reply. I did more details and start rim light to the lower part, More soon :)

Demon_15.jpg
  • spasmart
    Offline / Send Message
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, looking good!
    One thing: Be aware of your perspective on the sword. The details looked better fit to perspective in the step before your final render. The triangular shapes on the sword at the light spot seem like one sees them from the top, when in reality you are looking at them at a good angle. The top side facing to the sky would be way smaller or not even visible, depending on the angle.
  • MykulJaxin
    Offline / Send Message
    MykulJaxin polycounter lvl 4
    I'm wondering about that left wingtip (his left!). Is that tangent distracting to anybody else? That wingtip is brushed right up to the edge of those towers and the moon and I just wonder if moving it forward or backward would help. EDIT because I was noobish with my HTML, sorry guys :(
  • HowToTrainAZombie
    I like the concept, and the character looks like hes got some major personality. However, I do feel like you could do a better job by either emphasizing the demon or the king in him, just an opinion. Thanks for the view!
  • spasmart
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your coms, very helpful :)

-acapulco : I still have a bit of trouble with pers :x I wondered why it did'nt work, Know I know :p Thanks

-MyKuJaxin : I tried to move it, but this worked better :s

-HowToTrainAZombie : I wanted to put more armor to him, but I had enough of this illustration :p