Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM – Sorcerer's Throne – Cordell Felix

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
This would be my first 3d competition I've ever entered. Hoping it's something I will have the time to finish, gonna do my best to finish anyway. It'll be just myself entering. I want to do the environment based on a sorcerers throne. I mainly want to just go nuts in zbrush for this environment. I plan to do some modular stuff and create a good composition with nice lighting.

Update edit:
layout_idea_02.jpg

From the start:
I was doing a zbrush sketch based off my friend Stephen Oakley's concept and while doing it I was thinking of an environment that would go along with it. This would just be a large statue in the background. Here's his concept and my zbrush sketch of it:
inspiration1.jpg

I had a random inspiration from the movie Aladdin when he goes to take the magic lamp. I could barely remember how the room looked, but when I watched that part of the movie, the setting was perfect.
aladdin.jpg

I decimated the Demon goat thing and did a quick blockout for now.
layout_01.jpg
screenshot003.png
I'm unsure about the layout, composition, and lighting so far. When I have more blockouts I'll test out different camera angles.

Programs:
Zbrush, 3dsMax, substance/quixel suite, and UE4.

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Neat idea! I like this. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.
  • IIxDEATHxII
    Offline / Send Message
    IIxDEATHxII polycounter lvl 4
  • Loutrattitude
    Offline / Send Message
    Loutrattitude polycounter lvl 6
    I like it already !
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    That blockout reaaly reminds me of the Wahrk room in Riven:
    post-2-1158709178.jpg

Good stuff :D
  • Cordell Felix
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'm glad you like the idea. I do want to make the background more interesting. Still thinking of a way to incorporate an intricate background while still keeping the eyes at the main focal point, the throne and statue. It's always good to have areas where the eye can rest :)
    To start some of it off, here's a pillar
    pillar_throne.JPG
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    Really good relief sculpting, I'm impressed so far. I'm gonna wait for some more.

Cheers!
  • Cordell Felix
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! The sculpting is something I don't want to spend a lot of time on for each asset. I just want to have fun with them :) I'll probably just go with beating up each stone type asset with the claytubes brush and throw a surface noise on it with a custom curve. That's all I did for this pillar.
    I'm still concepting out ideas for the scene, I really loved that Wahrk room pic that Y_M posted, especially that huge circle window in the background. I tried it out myself and I like it!
    Here's another layout idea I want to go try to go with. Still need to work on the composition and figure out how to get the throne to stand out more.
    layout_idea_02.jpg
    The scene is really busy imo, I want to drown out a lot of the background detail with lighting. This is just some test lighting in marmoset...I'll be moving this all over to UE4 soon!

I was thinking of having the goat demon guy hold out the book open towards the throne (like how a teacher would show their class a picture on their textbook) and somehow inset the throne into that. I think it would make it much more interesting!
  • Darkmaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Cordell!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    holy shit... Cordell lives! lol. nice start man. I think the noisy foreground has a lot to do with the contrast-y shadows in the maze like pattern under the walkway taking up a good third or quarter of the shot. I really like the different take off of a "throne" room and more of a shrine type environment. Pretty dope.

Lighting WILL take this a long way though.