Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Cinematic Characters

Feel free to critique my work, ask questions about my workflows etc. Starting this out with an Elder Scrolls themed character. This character was inspired by the breton character concept (TESO).

Software used: Modo, ZBrush, Mari, xNormal, Photoshop.

The textures on this character range from 2k to 8k maps. Shading and rendering done in Modo 801. Will also be posting VRay stuff here.

ML8BWjC.jpg

Replies

• iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I like it a lot but the textures on the coat look too consistent. I looks very "textured" if you know what i mean.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeah, you're absolutely right. I really should break up the consistency especially on the coat. Thanks for the crit.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Nice work! There are a couple things I would like to pint out though. First is the shoulder pads. I can't really tell if they are metal or shinny fabric. The texture indicates metal but the form is a bit soft making it feel like fabric. This is especially noticeable where the rings hold the parts together. Second, The face looks a bit flat. I'd expect to see more shadow under the brows. These are really more opinions though, the model looks great overall so keep it up.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    @kosh_fotsirk

Thanks for the critique! The shoulder pads are supposed to be metal but you're right that I went a little overboard with the roundness of the edges of the pads. That's an area I will definitely be fixing.

On the brows I will probably try bumping up the displacement there or adding hair there instead of just using textures.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    Since my texture work is crappy, I can't help you with that, but I got a few suggestions to the design :)

I think you could benefit from giving the clothes some stitches in places. Some more wear and tear. Someone who sees a lot of combat probably not only has dusty, but self-repaired clothes (where possible. Some damage is just not easily fixed, like a torn-off piece of cape). Dried blood is also something to consider, since it washes out badly.

Mind you, this guy is not in a modern army that just hands you a new shirt. You either take it from the dead or fix it yourself in the kind of envrionment this guy would be in.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Xaragoth - You're right he really needs some more damage here and there to tie the character into his environment.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Update on this guy. Mostly texture and shader tweaks. EDIT: updated image with crispier one.

zqNierO.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Have you got SSS on your skin, there?

That aside, your texturing is still a bit... Look, you have this really obtrusive cloud-grunge texture over everything. Just something, that would be fine, but everything? It's hard for me to tell where my eyes should focus on this character, the damage/grunge is just far too monotonous and uniform. You have to think about where, specifically, damage would be taking place, where things actually get dirty (in cracks, tips of the shoes, maybe someone spilled something on his chest, glossy oily/sticky patches on his gloves stains on his arms, etc). I feel like I'm not getting a proper read on the materials, either.

The modeling/sculpting/design itself is great, some of the folds are a little weird on the arms and pants, but for the most part they're fine and the smaller ones on the leather materials like the gloves are really, really nice. I think that the current texture work is going it a great disservice. Clean it up, then add in the damage and dirt again slowly and more carefully where it's needed to tell a story.

Keep it up! This looks really great, I mean it, but you could really make it incredible with just a little more thought. :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Here's a new wip I've been working on.

Thanks for the crits BagelHero. I cleaned up a lot of the textures like you mentioned. Yeah, I also use SSS on my skin shader. Will post renders of the breton warrior as soon as I return to working on him (when I have the time and energy).

Here's another character I'm working on that's turning out a lot better than my breton warrior already. Still need to decide what I want to do with the rest of the armor. The forearms are covered by bracers, which is still hard to tell just looking at the clay render. Still missing pieces I'm going to want to model in.

Software used: MODO 801, ZBrush, Photoshop, MARI (when I start texturing).

zC55ql0.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey, no problem. This new model's looking fun so far! :) Can't wait to see updates!
  • Poseidon8734
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poseidon8734 polycounter lvl 6
    Soo cool! Really really like the characters
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks guys!

Here's a small update of my "Blademaster" character (still missing the blades). I rendered a turntable this time around. Modeled some more armor and fitted existing stuff to sit better. Still trying to figure out some armor ideas and what materials I want to use on him. After that I'll probably start styling his hair. Probably going to try out some kind of swept back hairstyle for him.

Also need to fix those clipping issues, worst ones being the shoulder pads.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KSXHdrzgwU[/ame]

Thanks for viewing!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Here's some initial hair styling render tests. Need to add more segments on the curves to make the hair curve more.

UfVPk8k.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Some more work on the hair. I brought the hair line down and added more geo to the hair to make it curve to the back better. u2zrzqb.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Decided to give him a haircut after all. I think the shorter hair fits the character a lot better. Also baked, textured and shaded the head and eyes. Modeled in the eyelashes too. Any c&c is welcome. MQDwbNq.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Started working on the color schemes and trying to make some design choices regarding the smaller assets on the character that still contribute to the whole feel of the design. For now I'll focus on nailing the color scheme and cloth textures. Here's a face close-up. S4wAu82.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You've got that random grunge going on again, man. Loose it and focus on the fabric material first.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Got rid of the grunge. Update: pNR8WW6.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nearing completion on the head: GTObcry.jpgChbJ3Yf.jpg