Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Storm (Xmen) Redesign

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Kazefield polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone :D

I've started making a 3D redesign of Storm from Xmen.
I'm not really used to the "realistic style" in 3D so I thought that starting a thread could be a way to have some feedbacks and improve it as much as I can :)

Last update
detail.png
storm_final_render.png

Here is the concept with some reference images
tornade_rendu_final_by_mimilechampi-d8cqbp3.png

And here is where I am in Zbrush
tornade3d4_by_mimilechampi-d8cqbfr.png

Is the head too small or big? I've tried to make it look as "normal" as possible but as I tend to make bigger heads all the time I never know ^^'

Also I've been wondering If I should merge the body and the head now or later ( after making the clothes, or when I make the retopology ?)

What do you think?

Replies

• klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    I would drop the arms down to 45* to start. With her bare shoulders, you wont get the shoulders right with the arms up like that.

Find some anatomy ref, some free samples from 3d.sk or some place like it, use the zbrush transparent feature or take a screen cap (in perspective) into PS, overlay the ref ontop of your model and find where the main issues are. Forget small details and just look for proportions.

At a glance your arms are too short and your legs feel too long, the hip shape is off and your armpits are webbed (!).

A decent start, with some good ref there, use ref to dial in your basemesh before moving forward as the proportions you make now will determine how almost everything else will look.

Good luck :)
  • Kazefield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the feedbacks o/ I'll do my best
  • Kazefield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update :)

I'll have to make the fingers bigger I think.
    tornade_1_by_mimilechampi-d8cym48.png
    tornade_3_by_mimilechampi-d8cym44.png
    tornade_2_by_mimilechampi-d8cym45.png
  • Kazefield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again :D

I made some progress lately !
    I was wondering about where I should place the three long strands of hair I put in the concept? If I put it straight it kind of look like she has a crest XD.
    Maybe I won't put it on the high poly and only on the low, as I want to apply physics to it when I'll put it in UE4 later ?

What do you think?
    I would be really glad if you had any constructive comments, may that be anatomy-related or anything else that could help me improve it :)

tornade_by_mimilechampi-d8duxs9.pngtornade_vue_rapproch__e_by_mimilechampi-d8duxsc.png
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good, there are some nice improvements since the last one ! However the hand seems still a bit too smooth. I don't recognize the material on the lower part of the shirt, is that some plastic armor ?
    The boots deserve some love as well !

Keep it up !
  • Kazefield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ! I'll do that :D
  • Kazefield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's plastic armor, like in the reference of batman in the concept image :)
  • Kazefield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    It's coming along well, I like the hair. I think her thighs are too skinny in the side view compared to the front view, though. I'd expect them to be bigger especially towards the top, giving them a more tapered look instead of straight up and down.
  • Kazefield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the final render !
    Thank you all for your feedbacks ;)storm_final_render.pngdetail.png
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    nice!

i just think the skin and hair material definition could really use some work
    the skin is like with no spec and the hair lost a LOT of detail compared to the highpoly
    and also reads more like paperstripes

did you use ddo for texturing?
  • Faedus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool :)

But I have to agree with skodone, the hair lost a lot of detail and it's a shame because it looks awesome on the highpoly model:

Keep up the good work!

(coolest thing is: I remember seeing the drawing on a wall @ sig and recognized it instantly :P)