Home Adobe Substance

Can't connect node from AO output to invert grayscale?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
james swanson polycounter lvl 5
Probably just a stupid mistake on my part, but I can't seem to connect the output of an AO node to the input of an invert grayscale node. It just simply won't allow me to do it. Surely AO outputs as a grayscale? Anyways, I tried using a regular invert node and it still didn't work. I wanted to see what would happen if I tried converting to grayscale, so I connected the AO node to a convert to grayscale node and, as I suspected, it added a gradient map conversion just before the grayscale conversion, so it was a grayscale, but it wont allow me to connect it to the invert grayscale. I found a workaround by connecting the AO to a levels node, and then connecting that to the invert grayscale (which I could've done using the levels, but hey, I'm lazy). Anyways, I just want to know if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is simply a bug.

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    In which mode are you ?
    In the graph toolbar (on top of the grpah area) you can switch between 3 modes :
    - Standard (shortcut 1 on your numpad)
    - Material (shortcut 2)
    - Standard material (shortcut 3)

In standard mode you can connect anything to anything, however in material mode (2 and 3) you can only connect inputs/outputs that have usage with corresponding usages. So even if you try to connect the AO node, since it has an "ambientOcclusion" usage on its output and since the Invert grayscale don't have any usage, you can't connect them.
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Along with what Froyok said, if you're usinga bit map, make sure that the color mode is set to grey scale. If you double click on your AO node and look at the Parameters menu, you should see this option under the Specific Parameters section.

xOaGupX.png

You mentioned that your AO was forcibly run through a gradient node, which makes me think that your AO is set to RGB.

Hope this helps!
  • james swanson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    james swanson polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys :)