Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter for Character/Creature artist.

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jakub interpolator
Hello everyone!

First of all I'd like to say, that you're making a great effort with all Substance tutorials over the internet, glad to see that you also have your own sub-forum here on Polycount.

I've recently seen Substance sale on Steam, so I got really curious about you software, I gotta say that it looks fantastic.

I am learning to become a character/creature artist and I wanted to ask you how Substance might affect my work ? I've never used any texturing software before besides polypainting.

And I have one technical question, as I downloaded trial version, how can I export my models from Zbrush to Substance Painter ? That is read OBJ, or it has to be saved in other format ?

Thank you in advance

Greetings!

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You can load OBJs straight from Zbrush in Painter, just make sure your models have unwrapped UVs, using UV Master if needed.

Compared to polypainting, using Substance Painter will allow you to paint on all the channels needed for a shader used in a game engine at the same time, speeding up the time you will have to spend painting details.

Also if you bring a low poly with a normal map, cavity and AO baked from your zbrush high poly mesh, you will be able to use smart materials and effects that adapt to the mesh, to automatically create wear and tear on any kind of surface.

you work shouldn't change that much, you will simply paint more information than just a single color with your brush strokes and some manual parts of your workflow will be partly automated if you wish so.
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Sorry to bother you with some technical questions, but I don't want to create new topic for that ;)

I already bought Substance! :)

Could you tell me how to import different subtools into one Painter Project ? Whenever I open new I can only select one mesh and can't find the way to add another. I'm using OBJs.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    For now, you will have to merge your subtools before exporting or merging your objs into 1 file in another 3d software as Substance Painter only supports one obj file at a time.