Home General Discussion

Hardware problem - BSOD BBCode 116 - HALP O_O

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, really needs help with this

Im having really hard time with my pc lately, i get crashes all the time mostly with using 3D softwares or games

I have a workstation based pc

Board - Asus z9-PED8-WS

Memory - Corsair XMS3 48gb

Gigabyte GTX 780 - (today i about ANOTHER 780 cause i couldnt figure out what the problem is, thought it was my card, but it wasnt, it happens again with the new 780)

PSU - 1200w TT

Things i tried in that order -

Running windows 8.1 64bit

Latest Nvidia drivers -Tested, got the Blackscreen
Updated all my asus board drivers -Tested, got the Blackscreen
Update bios on my mobo -Tested, got the Blackscreen
Older Nvidia drivers - about 4 versions -Tested, got the Blackscreen
Tried different combos with my RAM,
even a test with only 1 of the sticks -Tested, got the Blackscreen

Mem tests (no errors)

Clean install of win 7 pro 64bit on a new harddrive -Tested, got the Blackscreen
Bought ANOTHER Gtx 780 -Tested, got the Blackscreen
Oldest Driver for 780 -Tested, got the Blackscreen

nothing worked so far, NOI OVERHEAT issues, system is water cooled

im not sure whats next now

help please frown.gif

Replies

• Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 116
    BCP1: FFFFFA8023EDC010
    BCP2: FFFFF8800F9B3828
    BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
    BCP4: 0000000000000004
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\121514-39327-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Reno\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-65879-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    You need to wire out the STOP: error codes for the blue screen. They usually look like

0x00000060.

Since I assume you haven't written any down so far, try this out and get back to us.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

You can also have your computer hang on the blue screen before restart so you have time to write it down.
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    It could be the motherboard too, since it does the same thing with a new graphics card.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Man speaking of the mobo I'm guessing you have a nice dual-zeon setup in there ? :D
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    yea its a dual xeon workstation

as far as the codes, it is mostly black screens not really BSOD
    i copy the errors from the startup error that pops up when windows it loaded

i can post dmp files if it helps?
  • Lonewolf
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Anything new, hardware or software? try a system restore to eliminate driver error or start in safe mode. These types of errors are a bitch to localize since its random. Gotta start eliminating options
  • slipsius
    Are you using an ssd? I kept getting blue screens before, and it turned out my ssd was crapping out. swapped it out for a new, larger one and boom. good as new.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    tried 2 versions of windows on 2 version of new SSD drives

same error :(
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there man, I can sympathize with the issue as I am running into something similar here (lock ups and BSODs without any apparent reason), and it's been going on for a couple months.

It's reaching the point where I am simply going to drop off the machine to a computer repair shop for a full extensive testing and reinstall (I am providing them with a brand new drive to setup, as my current SSD is reaching the 7 years old mark and between this, the aging motherboard and a lot of RAM that takes a long time to test I have no idea where the problem comes from).

While fixing things on one's own can be pretty satisfying, there's a point where I just want to tell an expert "please fix this, tell me how it costs" and not have to worry about it anymore ...

Good luck man, these things are annoying especially when they happen with high-end hardware.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    yea its a dual xeon workstation

as far as the codes, it is mostly black screens not really BSOD
    i copy the errors from the startup error that pops up when windows it loaded

i can post dmp files if it helps?

have u check ur Mobo? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

some capacitor might be damaged , usually the top of capacitor became swollen/bulging and breaking on its tip. ( the normal one is flat )

the problem would not immediately stop your computer from functioning, but it will.

computer repair shop know better . just bring it there good luck

( ps wow thats lots of ram :3
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    It could be RAM as well.

At my old internship one of the computers was BSODing (different from yours) daily and it was due to bad RAM. It'd be fairly easy to remove a stick or two and see if one of them is causing it.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    This sounds like a graphics card conflict to me (black screens of death usually are). Could also be a BIOS issue but you need to rule out your GPU first before you do any BIOS updates.

Remove ALL traces of your GPU drivers.

reboot

Remove the GPU.

reboot

Insert the GPU and install the drivers.

reboot

PS if memtest86 is not putting up errors then I very much doubt that it's a ram issue !
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Asus + Windows 8 = FAIL
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    tested 2 cards with same errors, tested 2 different OS, same error

updated first post to make it more clean :)

i dont wanna put my system in the shop causei need to work, that would take too long

:(
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    tested 2 cards with same errors, tested 2 different OS, same error

updated first post to make it more clean :)

i dont wanna put my system in the shop causei need to work, that would take too long

:(

It could be a windows 8 issue as this is well documented, can you try win 7 64 ?
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    repete wrote: »
    It could be a windows 8 issue as this is well documented, can you try win 7 64 ?

ignore this
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131817

If this is your motherboard, then, probably it's a diffuse problem.

Another thing you can try is, as Beefaroni suggested, is to the test the RAM modules for a faulty one, problem is that your motherboard is quad channel, so to work it needs at least four channels of RAM inserted with the same amount of memory (to see which are check the manual).

Try running it with 32GB (I think you should have 4 sticks with 8GB each).

There's also the PSU to be tested as a last resort.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    have you tried booting in safe mode ?
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    can i play games with safe mode to test it?

what is a diffuse problem?
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    also my pc runs fine with only 1 mem stick

doesnt have to be 4
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sounds like you'd be better off posting something this specific into a hardware focused forum, asking for help. tomshardware, arstechnica, some over-clocker one?

here's hope you have a backup machine so you can continue working at least.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    It doesn't sound like a software issue considering you've tried a fresh install of Windows. If you wanted to confirm that you could try sticking Ubuntu on a USB drive then testing an application that makes use of 3D such as a unity browser game or something of the sort.

I would suggest removing every non-essential device in your machine (all but a single stick of RAM, remove any extra PCI-e cards such as wireless cards, etc.) If the problem remains, then it is probably being caused by either your motherboard or power supply, since it seems like you've tried replacing everything other than those two already.
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    also my pc runs fine with only 1 mem stick

doesnt have to be 4

Well, the description said quad channel, 2 sticks per CPU, but if it boots with only one RAM module, you can check one by one if they work correctly.

If you read the comments on the newegg link, there are a lot of costumers complaining about defective motherboards and BSOD when they actually work.

I'm not saying that your motherboard is the culprit, but if you tried all the other components, there's only few options available.

Other things you can try are to disassemble your workstation and reassemble it, trying to use different ports if there are any, like different SATA, PCIe, etc

For your peripherals, if possible use the PS2 ports, sometime a defective USB slot could hang your system.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    NegevPro wrote: »
    I would suggest removing every non-essential device in your machine (all but a single stick of RAM, remove any extra PCI-e cards such as wireless cards, etc.) If the problem remains, then it is probably being caused by either your motherboard or power supply, since it seems like you've tried replacing everything other than those two already.

This, also try swapping that ram stick with another one if it crashes again, make sure you are using the correct slot for 1 ram stick.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    took every part of my pc, still same crash

drives me crazy

what are the odds the both GTX are fucked with the same exact errors?

i dont wanna get new board to find out i fixed NUFFIN O_O
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It really sounds like the board, but if you have another computer, or a friend, swapping out the PSU would be easier to try first, and could be done pretty easily by just leaving your current PSU in and just unplugging it from the motherboard
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I am also going to +1 the notion of it possibly being the board. Does this only happen when the computer is under load (examples: running games for a while, or rendering in Max/Modo/Maya?). My guess is the northbridge could have overheated at some point or is faulty? Black screens are tough, as it is due to the CPU or Mobo, or power/data to the CPU. This means error reports normally are never spit out in time before the crash.

In the past while building a computer, one of the pins in the 8pin CPU power connector wasnt making contact, so the computer would never leave the black screen or the pin would arc enough for the computer to boot and then black screen later on. Later found out this also happens when the CPU looses power or data connection with the rest of the comp. The computer is still under power and the motherboard can still manage pushing volts out as needed to give the facade that it is still "running" (thus producing the black screen).
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    so u think its the board or cpu?
    yea mostly under load but i think i had it once or twice just browesing windows

O_O
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Definitely sounds like the motherboard. If you haven't already checked the capacitors, check them - those can be fixed. (As a note - I've had family send a motherboard to the guy running that site fairly recently, and he was super pleased with the work.)

If it's not something like blown capacitors (which you will be able to see, visibly), and you've had the computer working for a fairly extended period of time without issues - and you didn't recently update any drivers/BIOS/etc, then I'd suggest trying another PSU, as this would also explain most of what you're encountering. You could easily buy a PSU locally, check their return policy, see if it fixes the problem and if it doesn't - return it.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    well its a 1200W PSU and i took off everything but mem HDD 2CPU and 1 GPU

i think it should be enough even if its on 60-70%? so i dont think its PSU

and those are pretty expensive, if ill buy another it would be 1200W+

Any chance its one of the CPUs? should i try those some how?

(i really dont wanna mess with tose CPUs, those are hard to get and very expensive)
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Clear the cmos using the motherboard jumper.

Boot in safe mode holding F8 at boot.

If the problem is still there your mobo is faulty and you need to have a shop run a diagnostic on it.

Good luck with it.
  • Martin_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H polycounter lvl 6
    Some shots in the dark here:

Did you try disconnecting every USB device and boot only with mouse and keyboard (preferably a different set of both and plugged into previously unused USB ports). The PS2 suggestion from SonicBlue also sounds good.

Can you temporarily disable one of the CPUs in BIOS and see if that helps? If it is only one of the two CPUs you might be able to isolate the problem like this.

Can you run temperature monitoring software and have an eye on what rises to what value before a crash? I had a CPU fan once that cooled the CPU real well but had zero airstream towards the board, leading to crashes from overheating North- or Southbridge. Fixed that with a little chassis fan standing on the graphics card and just cooling the board.

Can you reliably provoke a crash with torture test tools like prime95 or furmark? Both are designed to overhead your system and test if overclocking attempts where successful. Might be easier to test with that than with games or similar.
    If you can run both for 10 minutes each without your system crashing (not at the same time, try one after the other) I'd guess heat is not your problem.

If you disconnect every drive and run a live linux with benchmarking software from a USB stick, do the crashes still occur?

Did you try disabling all non vital onboard devices in the bios like sound, LAN, onboard graphics card, wifi, additional raid controllers etc.?

Like others said I also have a hunch that it is not your graphics card but the mainboard that is causing the problems, but I don't know for sure of course.

P.S.: Good luck fixing this quickly! I really hate that kind of hunting for a faulty part. Had a BSOD 2 hours ago myself and other occasional problems over the last few months :-/.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    yea tried all those, nothing fixed it

donno what to do next. gonna have to order new board

to TRY it see if this stupid problem goes away
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Really wishing you good luck with all this man.
    I just dropped my machine at the shop today, as I figured that I'd rather get it looked at by a pro for a few days rather than getting frustrated by it and potentially losing some work in a crash. I'll let you know how long the fixing takes.

Now of course our issues are probably not the same, but I asked the guy to do a full diagnosis and I am actually quite curious to know how long this takes (full RAM test and components inspection).
  • Martin_H
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lonewolf: sorry to hear that, I wish you the best of luck, but atm I think this is really your only option.
    If the new board still doesn't work maybe you can still return it. Not sure where you live but in Germany and maybe even whole of Europe you can return stuff you bought online within 14 days and get your money back.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I used to get BSOD. I found out it was my webcam that I installed & there was some weird conflict with it. I went to Windows update and updated the drivers and there was one that specifically fixed hardware changes for webcams or whatever. Just in case you have a webcam or new hardware device installed maybe try uninstalling it or updating windows? Worth a shot suggesting because sometimes it may not be what you expect. Hopefully you can get it working.
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Are you absolutely sure it's not a heating/cooling problem? Is there dust or pet hair possibly clogging a heatsink? How close are the CPU, GPU, and mem chips to each other? Do all three have adequate cooling? Any one of those overheating can cause the other two to heat up past the normal cooling system's ability to manage it.
  • Martin_H
    Offline / Send Message
    If it was overheating he would be able to reproduce crashes with furmark or prime95 I think.
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Not necessarily. I've run in to some really odd overheating issues that seemed to require the GPU and the memory to both minorly overheat at the same time, which then bracketed the heat in to the vicinity of the CPU (a lot of motherboards put all 3 in/near the center together, which isn't exactly ideal). Then, once the CPU started to spike up a bit, that extra heat would fully overheat the GPU. Horrible pain to reproduce, and probably the only time I'll stop a video card from overheating by getting good heatsinks for the memory. Nonetheless, overheating is one of the first things I'll check with any odd problem since it's pretty easy to look at.
  • Martin_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, but shouldn't you be able to reproduce your kind of problem rather reliably by running burn in tests for gpu and cpu at the same time? Prime also has a mode for straining RAM as far as I know.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    FUCKING DISPLAY PORT ADAPTOR!!! I disconnected my apple 27 and no more crashes! Cant fucking believe it! 2 weeks i changed hardware and reinstalled windows, it was the DP!!

O_________________________________O

Thanx guys for all the help
    :D
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    That is ridiculous, but at least the problem got solved!
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Damn aajohnny, good recommendation. It wasn't exactly the webcam but I think displayport adapter is pretty close. I'm gonna have to keep that in mind!