Bek interpolator
Pretty much finished with this model unless anyone has some crits:

ifqalfG.jpg
KIdf1Tg.jpg
CIeG4TD.jpg

sT7jbow.jpg

4bPjx9r.jpg

wxtFpYj.jpg

Modeled in modo, textured in PS w/ Quixel Suite. 5,182 tri, 4,382 real verts. Glass and reticle separate. 1024^2 for the EOTech Albedo/Normal/Gloss/Metalness/AO, 512 for the glass Albedo/Normal/Gloss.

Replies

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    looks nice, but the gloss seems off. It looks almost like rubber, not like plastic. Should have a darker diffuse as well I think
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Yeah it's an odd one; the XPRS has an aluminium shell and although aluminium cannot be parkerized I found the parkerized steel preset matched the closest. Might have to research aluminium and see if I can find better values.

edit: probably anodized aluminium
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    I think that the Cover is from Metal.
    The Rest ist Plastic/Glass.

I like how much Polygons u spend to the rounder shapes.

But your Materials needs work.
    68y5xxt6.png
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    have you baked this in modo as well? Am I spotting the round edges feature around the intersections between buttons and body?
    I also feel like the plastic material seems a bit too soft. It should be some harder plastic, less rubber like. So higher gloss and smaller noise size should help.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Gazu wrote: »
    The Rest ist Plastic/Glass.

I like how much Polygons u spend to the rounder shapes.

But your Materials needs work.

The cover is definitely aluminium. The inner part however does look like it has plastic mold lines on the back so it must be plastic, but it looks so similar to the aluminium shell.

Could you elaborate on what part of the material needs work? What seems off? I've been looking at this for too long so any fresh opinions help.

As for reticle size, it seems to vary. See example A and example B.
    igi wrote: »
    have you baked this in modo as well? Am I spotting the round edges feature around the intersections between buttons and body?
    I also feel like the plastic material seems a bit too soft. It should be some harder plastic, less rubber like. So higher gloss and smaller noise size should help.

Nope, standard sub-d. I played with the rounded edge shader for a few min the other day though and it seems... interesting. Kind of limited in that it gives the best results with lower values (sharper edges) and works better on intersections than regular edges... but I'll have to try it some more. Have you had much success with it?

Higher gloss; I'll give that a go. Most of the outer shell is covered in dust though; in case that wasn't obvious. I think I'm already pushing the size the noise can be for my texture resolution (1k). I felt like 2k would be overkill for such a prop and everything else in my portfolio is 2k or higher.
  • nick7
    I would suggest to offset the screws slightly and add some scratches around them for some extra realism
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    I think the two main things that throw the look off (aside from the base values themselfs) are the large rubber-y noise pattern you have there and the random mud splotches. Eotechs seem to have this very subtle high frequency noise pattern and the mud looks like something you see on tires.

Heres a relatively quick paintover I did. Its not perfect but it should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
    eotech_crits.jpg
    (incase its not obvious, i only did stuff to the outer shell thing)
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    I mean the Shell/Cover.
    The Paintover of Crash looks much more like Aluminium.
    I think its just a little bit of Spec/Gloss adjustment. Give it a try.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    nick7 wrote: »
    I would suggest to offset the screws slightly and add some scratches around them for some extra realism

Good idea; I'd rotated the side screws and battery cap but somehow didn't think to do the same for the front ones. Good catch.
    cR45h wrote: »
    Eotechs seem to have this very subtle high frequency noise pattern and the mud looks like something you see on tires.

Thanks for the paintover. I tried to change the noise pattern to get the highest frequency noise I could out of the texel density I have; here's what I came up with:

CwqZuky.png

I think it does look better. Will play with values a bit.

Also does the mud really look so out of place? Perhaps stick with smaller flecks of mud? I disabled the mud and dust for the above screenshot to clearer show the base material (also using a more neutral skylight).
  • garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Hey Ben,

It's looking pretty good man. Just giving my two cents.
    eotech_crit__zps7f248737.png
    These are the only two things that seems to be catching my eye. I'm wondering if it might just be the normal map for the screw. The thin line shape on the toggle switch seems to have a slight extrude going inside.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Good points Anthony, thanks! I made these changes today in order to fix those two things:

RccKUWD.jpg

(Same angle w/ different lighting)

Also fixed up some small errors on the front; still tweaking the textures here:

yfW4mtK.png

Todo:
    • Add plastic mold joint lines
    • Clean up the glass (excessive dirt and scratches)
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Erkmc8A.png

I'll try some more radical changes tomorrow but I think this is pretty much done.
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    Looks cool but I think you should play with the values a bit more. Right now it lacks contrast which makes it look pretty bland. A 2 second (slightly overboard) contrast tweak I did;
    eotechcrits2.jpg
    Makes a great difference and shouldn't take too long to do.

Also, I'm still not a fan of those mud splotches. They look more or less okay visually but they're not too realistic and seem really out of place. Either the whole thing would be muddy or there would be none. I would instead go down the smudgydusty road.

Example:
    eotechextra.jpg
    (4am; ive got nothing better going on)

You can add as much or as little as you want depending on what you're going for, but its better then the mud things.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Dammit cR45h I rendered out final images before seeing your post, now I have to do them all again :P Not sure adjusting for pure contrast fits in with the PBR philosophy but I'll give it a go.

Thanks though, I'll keep tweaking it. I fear I won't have the resolution to make the mud splotches look as good as they do in the paintover but I'll see what I get.
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    Bek wrote: »
    Not sure adjusting for pure contrast fits in with the PBR philosophy but I'll give it a go.

You wouldn't be doing anything thats not physically correct. The material is more contrasted in real life . You're just tweaking the values so the thing looks closer to your refs.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Lighting makes a huge difference though. Some look like much darker materials while others look more grey.

examples:

IMG_7200.jpg
    p_100004498_1.jpg
    p_100004498_1.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Also. If it would make your art look better what's the problem with tweaking stuff? Pbr means it needs to look bland to adhere to real world? You're still making game assets. Trust your instinct.
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    Bek wrote: »
    Lighting makes a huge difference though. Some look like much darker materials while others look more grey.

examples:
    *pic1*
    *pic2*
    *pic3*

Oh come onn.. those are pics you'd see on eotech's website. They're basically an excuse to make the thing look boring. Using regular real life photos of it is an infinitely better idea. You get to see it in various light conditions and you have materials you might be more familiar with (common finishes on the thing its attached to) to compare it to.

eothings.jpg

Also, remember to change between skies in marmo when texturing and see how it looks in each of them to get the most consistent result.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Alright, good points. And yep I'm trying to use various lighting conditions; the pictures in the OP are castle sunset and the more recent ones in post #12 and #13 are desert road.

Here's a quick update which I hope is moving in the right direction:

And thanks for helping me push the texturing futher; I really appreciate it.

DbAilb6.png
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah much better. The outer shell thing still seems a bit soft-ish. I'd fiddle with the values on that a bit more. Other then that its coming along nicely.
    Keep at it!
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Some changes. Mostly increased the noise in the outer shell's gloss to give it more of a noticeable pattern, and also changed a bit of the mud and dust marks.

rEmFoRz.png
    F8PdMmg.png
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Done:

rq8MoBl.png

More images on my portfolio.