Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Floyd Billingy - Stargate SG1 Gateroom

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
noscope polycounter lvl 6
Hello all,

I was getting in the habit of making things, posting them, and never finishing so I waited a while with this until I got to a stage that I felt comfortable that I would actually finish this project.

Making the gate room from the tv series with a few design changes that I think will make it better to look at.

Still lots of modelling of props and texturing to go.

I would like to make a wormhole opening particle fx thingy but it seems a little to daunting for me just now so will be thinking about that later.

EVERYTHING still very WIP. except maybe the gate. Kinda liking it how it is.

xgh8ae.jpg

2qx1gyt.jpg

Replies

• oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    You really captured the overall vibe of the scene really well. Only crit atm would be to some the emissive textures on those white blights lights. They're pretty overpowering atm. Loving everything else though.
  • alexd
    Looks awesome ! Modelling and lighting details are great ! Yes Oxblood is maybe right about the emmissive strength :)
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    The gate is really looking great.. I always wanted to do the room.. but let it be because it seemed to be very empty in the series.. boring concrete bunker, looks like you found a solution with your panelling and the smaller details
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks peeps. I think the overpowering emissives are due to the bloom being to high so ill tone that down and it should fix the problem

@cay yeah the room overall is super boring, its also the reason I never tried it before so hopefully I can add some elements to make it more interesting without taking your eye away from the stargate.
  • nuclearjelly
    Hey man, scene is coming along great! Although I kinda feel that the railing is a little too big/high up. For the size I imagine a person on that, the gate should be a lot bigger. Might be wrong though
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Made the high poly of a server to add to the room under the windows where they are in the series. Work has stopped me being able to progress this further. Hopefully it will get finished over xmas. Started on the turret gun. Not had enough time to finish it yet tho.
    n2jpcm.jpg
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    I just finished watching through the series this weekend and was thinking about making the gate room. Glad to see someone else seemingly with the same brain as me.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    @mattyws I feel like I've wanted to do it my whole life by this time lol. Weirdly there are almost no real-time scenes around. I think mostly because it's quite a boring room minus the stargate itself. Hopefully ill be able to do it justice and spice it up a little. Always loved the show.
  • angelofdeath1000
    This is looking really good, I'm a major fan of the show and I've also been wanting to build the gateroom (made a start, didn't get very far).

Two points, I also think the emissive is a little bright.

And with regarding the gate, it looks like it might only have 8 chevrons, (kind of hard to tell in the screenshots) where as the Milky Way gates have 9 chevrons, but like I said kind of hard to tell so apologies if I'm wrong.

Other than that the gate is really well modelled...better than the one I started.

I look forward to seeing the rest.

Dan
  • Thaiauxn
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaiauxn polycounter lvl 7
    I've seen some gate rooms in my time, but this one is fucking sexy. Well done. Can't wait to see the rest of the set!
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    I know its been slow but here is a small update of the scene.

Things to do:

Objects still need final texture pass
    Floor looks like liquid
    Gate dampeners on either side
    Add servers and machine guns to scene
    Blast doors
    Windows
    a whole lotta animation and FX shiznit

@nuclearjelly yeah the walkway banisters are way to high up. I will need to re-scale these. I have some problems with a few objects scaling in the scene. Need to get a char in the scene to make it all perfect soon.

@angelofdeath1000 Yep the emissives were too bright. I have turned them down some, what do you think now? The gate definitely has 9 so don't worry about that. its just hard to see with the walkway in the way.

@Thaiauxn Thanks dude. I hope to make this the best one on the interwebs if possible lol!

jts2ua.jpg

63srw8.jpg
  • Rektum
    Offline / Send Message
    Rektum polycounter lvl 7
    Looking great! I love the rich lighting
  • angelofdeath1000
    I really am loving the overall look of this.

Looking better with the emissives turned down, I still think they could be dropped a little more, especially the chevron glow.

Good to hear the gate has 9 Chevrons :)

Is that water on the floor?

And speaking of the floor, are you going to put the caution warnings around the ramp entrance?

Other than that, this is looking really good, keep it up.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    My last update before xmas. Any crit at this stage would be great as I am planning on finishing the modelling/texturing side of this pretty soon and get into the VFX, cameras and stuff.

Still to do....
    Gate holder/dampeners
    Get Machine guns in
    Work out what to do with behind windows
    Create "gate sequence"

k9hm2u.jpg

et5or4.jpg

vmq73r.jpg
  • angelofdeath1000
    Really loving this.

It's looking really good, and I would say the emissive levels look fine now, you could use a bit more textures variation, more so on the ceiling, it just looks odd in my opinion and the floor texture could use some work, still look a bit like water in some places.

Other than that, looks great, look forward to seeing more :D
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    @angelofdeath1000 cheers bro! where would you say needs most texture variation other than the tiling ceiling texture? I will add variation on the ceiling with some decals maybe... or break it up with some metal beams, not sure yet.

Having problems with rendering the floor If anyone can help. It looks fine in viewport but when I save a "highresscreenshot" the reflections go haywire on it. You can see the problem most in the bottom image. I think its just because my gfx card sux and have ordered a new one at work that I could try it with. If anyone has any other suggestions it would be great.
  • angelofdeath1000
    Yeah put some metal beams in, other than the ceiling the concrete texture looks fine, looks odd where the celling meets the walls, and decals can help to brake up the repetition.

As for the floor, I don't really know I've never really had any trouble with rendering. What does the floor texture look like on it's own). You could try getting rid of the reflections and then render and see if that fixes anything.
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Looks nice!

A few critiques: why is the concrete so paneled? In the show, the concrete was cast so there were significantly fewer gaps. The ceiling itself looks a bit low as well. Wasn't there also a big lifting shaft above the gate they used to drop it down into the base?

As for behind the glass, the lower windows were the control room, and the upper windows a conference room. You could just throw some simple objects in there and keep the lights down.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    @commador I panneled the concrete so much to make it a bit more interesting. The walls in the show were so much bore. Just an attempt to liven it up. Yeah ill deff give that a go for behind the Windows cheers.

If you could show me a ref image of the shaft used to drop it into the room that would be ace. I can't seem to find anything with a view of the roof in it. Would help loads

@angelofdeath1000 I didn't notice that odd join with the ceiling and wall. I think the beams will work well fixing that.
  • angelofdeath1000
    noscope wrote: »
    If you could show me a ref image of the shaft used to drop it into the room that would be ace. I can't seem to find anything with a view of the roof in it. Would help loads .

I had a quick look around and couldn't find any images, but I think you see this in Season 6 Redemption Part 2.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    @angelofdeath1000 Thanks a lot bro you the best! Ill have a look tonight.
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    noscope wrote: »

If you could show me a ref image of the shaft used to drop it into the room that would be ace. I can't seem to find anything with a view of the roof in it. Would help loads

It was a missle silo before.

Missile_silo.jpg
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    very cool. scale feels off though, it might be the FOV thats tricking me also though.
  • fayesmith
    Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    commador wrote: »
    It was a missle silo before.

Missile_silo.jpg

Here's a bigger picture!

jJ0BKP1.jpg

I read it's 80ft, and I think I see 8 sections, so 10ft each.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot for the ref guys. Just made this scene ALOT more interesting!