Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Project R.O.U.T.E

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
wester polycounter lvl 13
It's been awhile since I've done any game art in my freetime so I'm starting up a new project I've had on my mind for a long time. I've been needing to get a better understanding of the PBR workflow and really push myself as an environment artist so this seemed perfect. I feel like I've fallen behind on my sci fi modeling/designing as a whole and want to really try to improve with this project.

SUMMARY:
I want to create a high fidelity environment using the PBR system and UE4. It's going to be a sci fi environment taking place on mars. I want to really touch on my flaws like material definition and design flow/design fundamentals. I want to create intricate, but well designed props and environments. Environments where the eye and player are led where I want them to be led using directional lines, lighting and calm spaces. I want to use my love for storytelling, movies and narrative to create a little "short film" with this environment. Nothing too big but just a little narrative that I think would be alot of fun to create. One of the things I love most about environment art is how we are capable of doing SO much as individuals. We literally create worlds so I'd love to just marry my love for film with my love for environment art.

STORY: It might change as the project progresses.
Many years in the future when independent contractors become the frontline of space exploration, a company called Orbital Industries births Project Route. Project Route is a "seed planting" set of missions made to send drones to a handful of planets for exploration and the beginnings of colonization. Since space exploration is highly dangerous for humans, Orbital Industries has sent out drones to explore and set up stations for easier access to these planets. A milestone in the technological advancement of robotics, ROUTE is a fully intelligent humanoid drone capable of personalities, decision making and emotional intelligence.

The research and exploration modules that the ROUTE drones inhabit are extentions of the ships they use to reach these planets. Upon landing the ship expands and becomes repurposed to help house ROUTE and any findings they may come across.

ART DIRECTION:

Using design elements from existing space shuttles, rovers, and the space station I'm going to try to create what the technology might look a couple hundred years in the future with almost no monetary restrictions. Ideally I'd like it to be more science fiction, so the broad strokes and big shapes will be more sci fi, but keeping the details and functionality within the confines of the tech found on todays shuttles. I'm really trying to push my sense of design, materials and modeling within environment art. So there will be a vast list of materials such as that aluminum insulation found on alot of shuttles, chrome, rubber, painted metals, glass, sand and rock.

REFERENCE:
Here are some of my reference material for this project. I have a TON, but these are some of the key points.

Environment:

EnvironmentReference_zpsfd2a6520.jpg

ROUTE:
ROUTEReference_zpsdd5532ae.jpg

ARTWORK:

Here are some of the piece of concept I've done for this project so far. ROUTE's look has evolved a few times so I'll post all of the pieces I have so far.

Older version of the ROUTE droid.

MartianRobot_zpse15eb8c0.jpg

His Rover (which will change dramatically, it's too big and bulky now. I'm going to make it more of a buggy).

ROUTE_RoverRedesign_zps2021f68c.jpg

ROUTE's newer design:

MartianRobot02_zpse1b7befd.jpg

RouteSketch_zpscf59604e.jpg

So that's it! I hope you guys like it and will hopefully be a cool project. I've already started modeling ROUTE and planning out the environment. Excited to see how it turns out!

Replies