Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Poor-mans Ethan Carter Environment[Bitsquid]

PixelGoat
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
Hello! Wow, long time no see! This is the first post I've made here in like 4 years. Still been lurking around though. :)

This weekend I started a little project that has been brewing inside my head for a while now, ever since I played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter with its gorgeous environments.

Autodesk has this nifty little app for Iphone and Android called 123D Catch, it allows you to take pictures of objects to capture them in 3D, using only your phone.
So what I wanted to do was to create a scene similar to what you might find in Ethan Carter, using only assets captured with my Iphone 5S and the 123D Catch App!

Using the raw data I will crunch and bake it down to ingame ready meshes and try to create as realistic a scene as possible within the Autodesk Bitsquid engine(the engine I work with at Fatshark)

The long term goal is to keep the scene very optimized and get it running on some kind of mobile device(Iphone/Ipad) :)

I was out all last sunday testing and capturing as many interesting objects as possible and have just started testing the first few out in-engine. So this first post will be the 3 assets I have ready so far along with pictures of the original!

rock_1_ref.jpg
rock_1.jpg

rock_2_ref.jpg
rock_2.jpg

cliff_ledge1_ref.jpg
cliff_ledge1.jpg

A quick scene with these three objects and some crude lighting:
Scene_first.jpg

Here are some screens of some more raw highpoly assets straight out of 123D Catch, remember that this is all done using only an Iphone and no extra equipment at all :)

raw_asset1.jpg
raw_asset2.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Replies

• wccrawford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wccrawford polycounter lvl 4
    That sounds like an interesting project. Should be neat to see how this goes. :) Good luck!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    impressive results so far, do you have to do much clean up on the highpoly scans?
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Does this create an issue with the lighting? I guess you only have a small window of time each day to take pictures of things before the lighting changes, no?
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    im impressed with the quality from just an iphone, nice project, looking for ward to seeing some more.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    very interesting.. I think I'll give it a try.. haven't heard of it before
  • jeroenbackx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeroenbackx polycounter lvl 13
    Looks neat and I like the idea to create a realistic scene out of these.
    I also have to try this, seems like a potential way to create a quick environment around a setpiece model.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    impressive results so far, do you have to do much clean up on the highpoly scans?

Not much at all really, just removing the parts of the capture that surround the object you want. :)

Swarm22 wrote: »
    Does this create an issue with the lighting? I guess you only have a small window of time each day to take pictures of things before the lighting changes, no?

Capturing on an overcast day will help minimize lighting issues and give you only diffuse light with no direct shadows. But yeah ,you are basically limited to capturing on the hours when there is full daylight. And me living in sweden and its winter now... I have like a 5 hour window to work with :D
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    oooo this looks really original! Looking forward to seeing more for sure!
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Have to give this a shot as well great stuff :D
    Seems to be broken for the 4S too bad :(
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to all who commented.:)

I'll do a quick tutorial of my workflow when I have the time if anyone is interested :) Not that its anything special, but anyway..

I got some work done at lunch today, got another asset baked down and set up a small scene with what I have and some temporary ground textures aswell as some old pine trees for the feelz.

cliff_ledge2.jpg

Scene_2.jpg

I must say that its very fun and extremely satisfying to work this way :P
  • Grums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

Nice project, looks very interesting especially considering it was all done via IPhone. Look forward to your tutorial / workflow.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Very interesting approach.

Mind showing us some wireframes?

Also, is that the Cryengine?
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic wrote: »
    Very interesting approach.

Mind showing us some wireframes?

Also, is that the Cryengine?

Nah man, its Bitsquid like the topic says :)

Sure, here's a wire of the scene. Keeping all assets between 1-2k tris. Bit overkill in some cases, but I'm not to worried about that atm.

scene_wire.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Very cool stuff. I can see this working great for table props and piles of trash. I've been messing with the app. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

I am super impressed by the rock results. Keep rocking! :)
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Very interesting approach and nice results. How do you go about retopologizing the scans?
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    How long does it take for the app to process each asset? I tried a simple test and it seemed to take a very long time to get a result.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody wrote: »
    Very cool stuff. I can see this working great for table props and piles of trash. I've been messing with the app. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

I am super impressed by the rock results. Keep rocking! :)

Thank you! :)
    CreativeHD wrote: »
    Very interesting approach and nice results. How do you go about retopologizing the scans?

Thank you :) Atm I just crunch them down using ProOptimizer in 3DS Max :)

Swarm22 wrote: »
    How long does it take for the app to process each asset? I tried a simple test and it seemed to take a very long time to get a result.

It takes a while yeah, but considering what it does I don´t think it´s that bad..

It takes about an hour per asset maybe, but you can have multiple assets in progress at the same time. So I usually just fire off 4-5 assets for processing then do something else till they are done :)

Here are some new raw models from todays capture session, I focused mostly on getting some cool tree trunks/bases today, the plan is to use a captured tree for base then fade into a regular tiling texture higher up...

Some trunks..
    treetrunk_01.JPG
    treetrunk_02.JPG
    treetrunk_03.JPG

And an overgrown tree stump!
    tree_stump_01.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Eh needs more realism! Use instagram filters on photos for more cinematic art! : D Cant wait to see trees in the scene :D