Home Quixel Megascans

SUITE 1.7 PREVIEW AVAILABLE NOW (Updated: November 18)

Replies

• Shanteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanteez polycounter lvl 5
    Well BLACK is actually the absence of COLOR. I would "NOT" use a none COLOR in a "COLOR ID map"... It's several of colors to use in the COLOR WHEEL but I stay away from BLACK and neutrals such as GREY and WHITE.

Cavity, CONVEXITY and OCCLUSION MAPS rely on non-colors and neutrals to identify with TRANSPARENCY among other things... SO i wouldn't think of this as a GLITCH... But I'm no developer just an artist with an opinion
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akaChris polycounter lvl 6
    Shanteez wrote: »
    Well BLACK is actually the absence of COLOR. I would "NOT" use a none COLOR in a "COLOR ID map"... It's several of colors to use in the COLOR WHEEL but I stay away from BLACK and neutrals such as GREY and WHITE.

Cavity, CONVEXITY and OCCLUSION MAPS rely on non-colors and neutrals to identify with TRANSPARENCY among other things... SO i wouldn't think of this as a GLITCH... But I'm no developer just an artist with an opinion

actually black in the color map is a new feature of 1.7: Seam Termination support // Uses black color in color map to find UV borders, so make sure the color map background is black!

and I`m not talking about the albedo/diffuse map. I`m strictly talking color map, which just maps materials to colors. so black is just an identifier in this case. of course black in an albedo map is a different matter altogether

the new feature just seems to have unintended side effects which I still would call a bug :)
  • Shanteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question: What's the color of the background of an ID map by default?

See from my understanding, an ID MAP is just a bunch of identifiers... In ZBRUSH we would call them POLY-GROUPS. By default when I create a COLOR ID map the BACKGROUND is OPAQUE or TRANSPARENT anyway. So it's no need to make it BLACK AGAIN. Also I wouldn't use BLACK in a color id map because QUIXEL may read it as BACKGROUND. I really just have no clue as to this bug your identifying and it's killing me to understand it.

Why would someone even use BLACK as an IDENTIFIER if the BACKGROUND is BLACK?
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure if I understand what you mean to be honest. ddo is supposed to use black to identify as background so that it can detect seams (basically from what I understand it uses the black as a mask for dilation and additional edge detection).

using black as an identifier for anything else but what DDO intents would be a bad idea, I agree.

what currently breaks the masks is just having a black background. I`m not sure how else to put it to be honest. maybe the pictures in the thread I linked to could help clarify what I mean? currently with 1.7 the only solution is to have no black background (raising it to 20,20,20 RGB is enough to fix it). in 1.6 having a black background does not result in broken masks
  • Shanteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OOOHHHH okay... The black background is an ISSUE? Okay, I'm not able to duplicate that problem.
    Hopefully Teddy can look into that.

I was thinking you used black to identify parts of your mesh. Sorry I get it now....
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for not being precise in describing the issue. I`ve uploaded the files that I used here https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgwtd3mi6yss0ti/panel_xl01.7z?dl=0 but I can actually reproduce it with other maps as well. I tested with 1.6, 1.7 and 1.7c and with both 1.7 versions the masks appear broken. 1.6 works fine
  • Esindesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any chance we could see some progress screenshots of the upcoming Mac OSX version? Maybe one of your developers running a test build or working on some code! ^^
  • jhaoshshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please freeze me until official megascans comes out...lol
  • Eyetoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eyetoof polycounter lvl 5
    Has anyone had success saving layer fx to a smart material you are making? I see that many of the provided smart materials, and all mega scans use Pattern Overlay to put textures on surfaces.

Even if all I do is make a layer and add a pattern overlay, and go to save my smart material, this gets discarded.

Any thoughts?

Interestingly if I load a quixel provided smart material that uses Pattern overlay fx like "rugged worn leather" and then save that under a new name, when reloading it, the pattern overlays are intact.

Ultimately I would like to save other layer fx like "Inner Glow" but clearly we must go 1 step at a time.

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Eyetoof: DDO does not currently record layer styles. This feature is in the works however!

Esindesign: Soon :D

akaChris: A new build is now up, please let me know if the issue persists -- note that the color black is reserved for background, and should not be used to mask other elements. To turn off this behavior (which is not needed for tileables, for instance), uncheck "Seam Termination" in the Base Creator options.

DRSpaceman: My apologies, I thought you were experiencing the same issues. I have now made a fix in the latest release hopefully addressing the crash. Thank you for the report!

I've tried to add most of the recent requests and fix up the things reported for 1.7 thus far. Here are the most notable additions since 1.7c:
    • Unreal Engine 4 Plugin: Create Textures inside Unreal // Needs to be documented, kudos if you can figure out how to work it :)
    • Grunge Map Import button in Dynamask Editor
    • 60+ High Quality Grunge Masks for free
    • New Smart Materials
    • Save As now supported
    • Copy/Paste Mask support
    • Move In/Out from Group support
    • Clear Mask support
    • Clear Texture support
    • Added DDO Photoshop Swatch
    • Improved Fast Processing Mode (now with UI)
    • Seam Termination switch in Base Creator
    • FIXED: Bug where maps would not get deleted from 3DO
    • FIXED: Bug where Dynamask presets could not be deleted
    • FIXED: Load Project crash
    DOWNLOAD 1.7d HERE

Let me know what you think!

- Teddy
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Teddy,

thanks for yet another greatly improved version of a fantastic tool! Occl and Cav Masks look good in this release when turning off seam Termination. With seam termination enabled the same mask issues persist as described in the thread I created.
  • DRSpaceman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!

DRSpaceman: My apologies, I thought you were experiencing the same issues. I have now made a fix in the latest release hopefully addressing the crash. Thank you for the report!

I've tried to add most of the recent requests and fix up the things reported for 1.7 thus far. Here are the most notable additions since 1.7c:...
    Let me know what you think!

- Teddy

Hey Teddy, unfortunately the 1.7d patch still hasn't fixed the issue of DDO crashing upon loading a project. The Suite crashes, closes then reopens, but when I click on DDO again I get this new message.

Dmlu06G.jpg

Are there any diagnostics programs you guys run to understand where bugs occur? Would it help if I ran it on my machine to help you pinpoint what causes the issue?

EDIT 1: That said, I'm impressed with the speed upgrades in the recent updates, especially (in 1.7d) the added functionality of duplicating layers - something which was a real pain doing manually.
  • CJFerguson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJFerguson polycounter lvl 7
    Hey so is 1.7d a further along update than the 1.7 that is on the actual update page when you open quixel? or does the 1.7 that's officially been released trump the lettered 1.7's?
  • 7hny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Teddy!
    Normals are still overriden in 1.7d. Rolling back to 1.6 seems to fix the problem. As I mentioned before, only some smart materials were broken in 1.6 with regard to normal generation, and ALL smart materials are broken in 1.7a - 1.7d. This problem is too severe to be just overlooked during testing, so I guess it is related to my software config. Any advice on how to remedy this?
    Thanks.
  • 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Until the UE4 plugin documentation is out anyone looking to put the plugin into UE4 this is how I did it and it works fine.

Go to your Quixel directory and go to the folder Scripts then Plugins. You will see the file UnrealEngine4, copy that folder and then go to your UE4 folder in program files and then look for Unreal Engine. Click on the version you are currently using (for example 4.5) then go to Engine then Plugins. Paste the Quixel UnrealEngine4 file here and then open up UE4 and you should see in your plugins in UE4 you should see the same as below.

lf2a4DT.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Is there any videos about how the plugin works?
  • XemnasKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just downloaded the actual release for 1.7 and found a new bug. When I went to use a smart material and apply it to my mesh it would not put the material into a group. It would just have each material be loose in my ddo stack. It also wouldn't apply the material until I put each of the materials into its own group. Just wanted to let you guys know about this bug.
  • XemnasKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update to my problem in the previous post. I just redid my project and it seems to be working now. But I just wanted to bring it to your attention.
  • xX0r1oNXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xX0r1oNXx polycounter lvl 6
    Until the UE4 plugin documentation is out anyone looking to put the plugin into UE4 this is how I did it and it works fine.

Go to your Quixel directory and go to the folder Scripts then Plugins. You will see the file UnrealEngine4, copy that folder and then go to your UE4 folder in program files and then look for Unreal Engine. Click on the version you are currently using (for example 4.5) then go to Engine then Plugins. Paste the Quixel UnrealEngine4 file here and then open up UE4 and you should see in your plugins in UE4 you should see the same as below.

lf2a4DT.png

Not sure if anyone else has encountered this, but using UE4 v4.4.3, engine will not recompile successfully and launch after attempting to load the Quixel plugin.
    Currently downloading v4.5 to see if version is just unsupported.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    So materials still override base normals in 1.7 release if assigned via shift+click in 3do.

I want to use this program. I really do.

But you're not making it easy for me. I just checked and the issues I reported in 1.7b/c still persist. I don't care about new features; I want the current ones to work.

edit: in fact the 'steel' smart material overrode base normals even when applied via ddo's UI. Just tried it a few times and it doesn't seem to do it every time.

Did get this though:

M7KnaX9.png
  • Guma3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guma3D polycounter lvl 6
    Anyone knows where I can find some information about how to use Seam Termination in 1.7 Ver??
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    1.7 - Still can't import custom material from maps.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143674
  • MRRadioactiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRRadioactiv polycounter lvl 9
    at first thx for the new update :)
    I have a small question, why i need always after an update to reactivate my license?
  • DaveW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaveW polycounter lvl 14
    One problem I'm finding with the new 'fast processing mode' (doesn't happen with it turned off), is that new layers do not overlay on top of Normal/AO data. So creating a new layer essentially wipes out your Normal Map and AO.

I assume the automatic dilation also fixes any problems you'd get using black for non-UVed areas on your ID map? What maps are automatically dilated?
  • grimsonfart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    Teddy, sorry to anoy you but are we getting more megascans materials soon? Im really, really looking forward to it, a bit too much :(
  • NajimCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NajimCG polycounter lvl 10
    New big issue here , nothing show up when i load premade normal maps , albedo and gloss maps ........... Some times i see the model loading , but no texture on it nothing :/
  • NajimCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also , isnt there still an option to load pre made metalness maps in ddo ?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7hny and Bek: I was unfortunately never able to reproduce the issue you reported (trust me, I tried quite a bit); I spent quite a lot of time but was getting nowhere. Well, until yesterday, right after the release. I visited an EA studio and one of the artists was experiencing the same issue -- turns out this is an Adobe Photoshop low-level bug.

If you go to the layer obscuring the normal you will still see that it is set to "overlay", as expected. No matter how the layer is manipulated however it occludes the underlying normal. I am currently in touch with Adobe trying to sort out why, but I'm also working on a workaround meanwhile. I will hopefully have a hotfix available before the weekend ends. Sorry about feeling left out, it was not my intention.

grimsonfart: Yes, more Megascans soon :D I've had to focus on the SUITE for a while, but my focus is now shifting towards finalizing Megascans. That means you'll soon start seeing fully upgraded materials and a couple of new ones within the next few releases. And thousands of new materials available through the Megascans service, soon.

DaveW: Thanks for the report! It brings great insight into why some users have experienced what you bumped into. Much appreciated! Yes, the auto dilation dilates the ID map using the black background, fixing seam and edge bleeding problems. This feature kicks in when Seam Termination is on, and all other maps are also dilated.

Avis Para.doc's: Thanks for the bump! Will see if I can get this sorted in the hotfix -- a little tricky since I still can't reproduce, but I'll try my best. Has ever worked for you?

Guma3D: Guides on the new features are coming up today! Stay tuned.

DRSpaceman: Thank you for the update! Since you are still having problems, I took another stab at the issue in the official 1.7 release. Please let me know if this did the trick.

CJFerguson: The download link in this thread is older than the final release. I will now take it down! Get the latest through the update launcher in the SUITE and you are all set.

NajimCG: Thank you for the report. Is this when you try to load maps via the custom loader, and if so, are you loading from disk or linking from within Photoshop? If you are loading from disk, will TGA files load for you? Thanks again. Metalness support for the custom loader and material importer is coming for 1.8, together with a wide range of other new supported maps.

xX0r1oNXx, ZacD and marsassassin: A tutorial is coming up very soon, sorry for the wait!

For now: In the Cross-App options menu, make sure both UE4 options are checked. Next, make sure the "UE4" calibration profile is selected, and that the UE4 editor is running. Now enter Cross-App mode.

Your mesh and textures will now be imported to your project, and a material will be automatically created and assigned to the mesh, while the mesh will be placed into your scene. DDO will stay inside UE4, and when any changes are made UE4 will automatically update the material there on out.

Notes: Entering Cross-App mode will automatically install the plugin (if you haven't installed it manually already). Note that the plugin is compiled for 4.5.1 and will only work with this and later versions, but not previous versions (including 4.5.0). You will be prompted if you want to proceed with the installation -- if you do not have 4.5.1 or above, do not proceed. Otherwise UE4 will give you error messages on boot until you manually delete the plugin from disk.

This is the first iteration of the plugin and we'll dedicate a great deal of attention to requests/reports that come in. We will do our best to make fast releases to keep you continuously updated.

- Teddy
  • 9of9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh, it looks like 1.7d is no longer downloadable? What gives?

Edit: Nvm, didn't realise it got a proper release now ^^
  • DaveW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaveW polycounter lvl 14
    DaveW: Thanks for the report! It brings great insight into why some users have experienced what you bumped into. Much appreciated! Yes, the auto dilation dilates the ID map using the black background, fixing seam and edge bleeding problems. This feature kicks in when Seam Termination is on, and all other maps are also dilated.

Actually after posting that, even with it turned off I still encountered it on (some) new projects. The problem is only the blend mode on the folder, which is set to Normal instead of Pass Through.

Thanks for the clarification on the dilation - that's a great feature!
  • Daedalus51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daedalus51 polycounter lvl 5
    I have the latest version of the Suite and use PS CC 2014 and what happens is this:

1. I click the Suite icon to launch it and it also starts to launch PS
    2. The Quixel Update window appears and the Suite buttons are visible
    3. Then PS comes up and the Suite Panel vanishes and when I hover over it in the task bar it says "thinking" and then it just stayes like that
    4. When I reupdate the Suite, it works directly afterwards until I restart PS

Its then stuck in this loop exactly as described above again :(

Regarding the UE4 Plugin, tried it out, but when I enter cross app mode with UE4 as target, photoshop just vanishes and nothing else happens. UE4 was already running in the BG, so not sure how to set this up^^ (PS, Plugin is installed correctly and active)
  • NajimCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi quixel , thanks for the fast response about the add of the metalness map .
    The problem is simple , whell i launch ddo and insert my mesh , normal map , pre made -albedo , Object space
    and pre made - gloss map ,
    Quixel is then calculating my mesh and his maps , and then boem , there are only my gloss , Normal and mesh available ,
    it seems like he didnt loaded the albedo ( im talking about ddo , not the 3DO custom loader ) .
    The albedo tab is then just empty .
  • 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Thanks Teddy. Can't wait for the tutorial as still having problems getting it working with UE4.
  • Axiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Quixel, does the 1.7 Unity 5 calibration profile align to the new Metalness Standard Shader, or the now depricated Specular Standard shader. I ask because most folks are switching immediately to metalness :)
  • rascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rascal polycounter lvl 7
    7hny and Bek: I was unfortunately never able to reproduce the issue you reported (trust me, I tried quite a bit); I spent quite a lot of time but was getting nowhere. Well, until yesterday, right after the release. I visited an EA studio and one of the artists was experiencing the same issue -- turns out this is an Adobe Photoshop low-level bug.

- Teddy

Hi Teddy, I can also confirm having this problem a lot... certainly the highest priority bug to fix in my opinion. Good to hear you are on it ! :thumbup:

Also I am getting this error message when I try to generate brass... (the first brass smart material that pops up)

http://i.imgur.com/kmGgRkK.png :poly122:
  • wolfwithin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi quixel team,

Im having problems with the exporter on 1.7. Simply doesnt work, is like the "export" button do anything. I can click export many times that the window dosent close, is like the export button dont have any code on it.
    Using photoshop CC 2014 and Unity 5 calibration. Textures are 8k res.
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    Teddy: Yes, I tested it in all versions and it working perfect in 1.4 and lower. I think it's somehow connected with fix of Photo-Normal creating error in 1.5 becouse from that moment I can't import materials.
    In all versions from 1.2 I have an error on Photo-normal Preset launch. But when I hit OK NDO starts to do its magic with layers and make all like it should be. It happens all the time.
    Avis Para.doc's: This crash relates to the apostrophe in your user name. This has now been fixed and will be part of the next preview release, to be uploaded shortly.

Hope it helps.
  • Y-NOT486
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y-NOT486 polycounter lvl 5
    if this is posted in the wrong location, I do sincerely apologize, I'm still new to this forum.

Is anyone having a problem with layer masks, I select specific colors in my color ID to apply materials to, but for some reason it won't retain the mask I select and just applies the material to the entire mesh. I've restarted my project several times and this error still occurs, This started after I installed the 7.1 update.
  • Logan5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logan5 polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Guys

I had an issue with 1.6 that still doesnt seem to have changed with this new update. Basically the suite just refuses to load when I hit the .exe. Ive followed all the install instructions from the wiki but no luck. I also tried opening Photoshop first and then the suite.exe and visa versa but still nothing. Ive heard that this could be a problem with my anti virus so I added the whole quixel root folder as an exception but it still wont load :( I Also tried booting up dDo manually (using its bin .exe file), but it still crashed out after I input my maps (curiously nDo seemed to work fine when launched this way). Im using Phototshop CC x64 Win 7 x64, hopefully someone can give me a clue!! :D
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Try disabling your antivirus entirely in the system startup (this might have to be done from within Safe Mode) and then reboot without your AV running. I've run into instances in the past where one of my AV programs would silently kill certain programs that it didn't like with no messages, even when I'd both whitelisted the program and "disabled" the AV (but without a system reboot).

It took me months to figure that one out because the same program and same AV on windows XP worked flawlessly so I'd already ruled out the AV as being the culprit, much to my own later chagrin; it was only happening on Win7, but with the same program + AV.
  • Logan5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logan5 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks CKohl I'll give this a try. Also after reading the wiki again it says that even the Windows firewall / defender could be causing problems, I didnt disable when I was testing dDo. Although ideally I dont want to have to completely nuke my AV everytime I wanna load dDo!! :D
  • XemnasKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have run into an issue with the new 1.7 and the new importing your own grunge maps. I played with it all weekend and it seems that if I want to delete a grunge map that I have previously made and just want to use a mask that is already in quixel that it doesn't get rid of the old grunge map that I don't want anymore. Even if I delete and then save my project and then reopen it. It still has the old grunge map that I don't want.
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    can anyone explain how it work the seam terminaison ? i would like to see how it work with a video if it's possible. :)
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    If you go to the layer obscuring the normal you will still see that it is set to "overlay", as expected. No matter how the layer is manipulated however it occludes the underlying normal. I am currently in touch with Adobe trying to sort out why, but I'm also working on a workaround meanwhile. I will hopefully have a hotfix available before the weekend ends. Sorry about feeling left out, it was not my intention.
    I just tried again, and when I get a material overriding base normals, the material group/folder is set to Normal instead of Pass Through. Changing to pass through fixes it.

Probably unrelated but it only seemed to override the normals when I added a material when viewing the AlbedoM file, not if I was viewing the Normal file. But that's probably just a coincidence so far, will have to test more.
  • Rastar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I am also having issues with the colorIds. Now, I am new to DDO, so it could be me as well... I have four colors in my id map, two of them are fabric and cotton. 3DO correctly displays those colors when pressing "C", and the link editor also shows them correctly, but after creating the base I have two layers naed "Cotton", one of which contains the UVs of both cotton and fabric.
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in final 1.7 using seam termination still breaks every occlusion and cavity mask. Anyone else getting these issues?
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akaChris: I think I might be misunderstanding your issue, please set me straight! From what I could see in your thread your color map uses black color IDs for specifying materials, which will confuse the seam terminator and use those colors for finding UV islands. This will lead to dilation in parts of the texture that should not be dilated, which would explain the issue you are experiencing. Please help shed some more light on this for me, I feel stupid!

wolfwithin: Really sorry to hear about the broken exporter -- I have not been able to reproduce this myself, but as a starting point could you perhaps let me know the export path? A path with foreign characters could maybe be one cause, for instance.

allaze-eroler: Video tutorials and wiki guides on this are coming :) But in short, it helps you reduce issues near UV seams. It requires that the background of your Color ID map is black, as it currently uses this to determine the UV islands. Also make sure the "Seam Termination" checkbox is toggled in the Base Creator options. After the project has been generated you will find a "Seam Termination" slider in the Dynamask post-processing options: set this slider to 100% and you will find that it suppresses all detailing nearing UV seams. I hope this gives you a head start!

Bek, Logan5, DaveW, Daedalus51, Avis Para.doc's & rascal: Thank you everyone for your reports. This has now hopefully been fixed as of 1.8, please let me know if you are still experiencing issues!

XemnasKH: Check the Dynamask PSD: You will find a group called Custom Mask. Simply delete any layers in here that you don't want at any time!

I've now made a release of 1.8 hopefully addressing all the issues reported thus far. You will be able to grab it by launching the SUITE. The downloader should now be about 10x faster than last as well!

18_pc.jpg

- Teddy
  • 7hny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Teddy! I can confirm that normals are no longer overriden, although some materials still aren't generating correctly, as it was the case in 1.6. Those materials are:

- Painted Wood 03
    - Painted Wood Sculpture
    - Thick Painted Wood

Thanks for quick update, I can now move on from 1.6:)
  • DaveW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaveW polycounter lvl 14
    1.8 appears to have broken Material ID selection for me, at least when I create new projects.
  • jaysonmtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaysonmtl polycounter lvl 10
    I updated to 1.8 but when I have mat color ID's of say for example small clothing stiches on pants, I cant add materials to it, its as if it doesnt reconize the color id because the pixels in the color ID are too small?? I dont know...
    thanks
    Jason