Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Clementine - Telltale's TWD

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
My current project hopefully i won't abandon again.

I'm a big fan of Telltale's The Walking Dead, and decided to do a fan art of Clementine. I'm doing a much older Clem, in her 20s, in realistic style, kinda like The Last of Us, but without those crazy detail since i'm working on a low-spec laptop.

Decided to make a thread about this, because i would love to get more constructive criticism about my model so i could learn some things from you guys.

Here's the base model, haven't worked so much on her body, because i'm still trying to nail her likeness.
i4dChrh.jpg
I know it's looks kinda bad, still working on it. Some advice is greatly appreaciated, because i'm not really good at anatomy (never do a proper practice before).

And here's her face in close up
wJgbY6d.jpg
Looking back at my references (i always forgot to look at my ref :poly117:), i think this could be better. Will do a proper comparison shot later, so you guys could see better on what went wrong on my model.

And here's what i got so far
ZHxlr5x.jpg
Kinda hard to find a better references for the clothes, still trying to make the fold look natural. Things to add is shoes, shirt, gloves, bag, and probably her hat.

Will put my ref sheet later, for a better comparison.
Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Not bad, but her hair needs to be more curled.
  • Sammy101
    Offline / Send Message
    Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
    Need to give her the hat she got from Lee.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @LMP
    Thank you, and yes, will do that. And some more curl will be done via hair card in the end.

@Sammy
    Yeah, her hat is too iconic for her, and i'm gonna do it, but she's not gonna wear it. It will be a prop for my final presentation.

Manage to tweak her face a little
    _wip_2__older_clementine_from_telltale_s_twd_by_yuliuskrisna-d862upo.jpg

for comparison.
    QwO9gt3.jpg
    this head is ripped from the game by someone. Got it through some 3d website. I'm just using it as reference, that's all.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I think you did a good job with the likeness, I like where this is going! Cool idea.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shiniku
    Thank you, still trying to push the likeness a bit more since i'm not pretty satisfied with it yet. :poly121:

Anyway, update on the anatomy. Pretty happy with the shapes now, and move on to her clothing. Of course, if there's something bothering you guys about the anatomy, i could always go back and fix it.
    I'm after a skinny Clem, since it's zombie apocalypse, and food is pretty hard to find, especially after +11 years since the outbreak..

rVBtXJP.jpg

Ref is mostly based on this one
    Gpp76jg.jpg
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    well im no char artist, but ill put my two cents... i think her face overall is reading too "adult". mostly because its too long. i think you should shorten it a bit, would help heaps.

her hair is more curly, but you said you will work more on that later, so okay.

her cap is what will make her look like HER ;)

besides that, i think youre going nicely so far. keep up the good work :D
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If she's supposed to look adult, a somewhat longer face would make sense.

Yeah, see if you can add the hat.
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    oh sorry my bad, hadnt read that youre going for an older clem :S you got that right then ^^
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @yodude
    It's ok. Yeah, i'm making Clem in her early 20s. More curly hair noted and i'll try to give her hat later on. Thank you for your kind words.

@Jadeeyepanda
    I'm on it.:thumbup:

And the reason i'm not putting her hat in the first place is probably because of this picture
    c13632f8e5a2818be937be0fd44ccdb6.jpg
    Without her hat, i think she looks so friggin cute.:poly136:
    But yeah, i'm gonna add the hat to make sure that it is her.

@Teriyakistyle
    Thank you, and yeah, kinda hard to make her look not 'asian', but i'll try to tweak things up.:)

A little bit of update. I change the jacket to make her look a little bit more awesome. Here's the first pass on the jacket.
    nJ1V7oj.jpg

I'm open to suggestion, so feel free to critique.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks great! I think your nailing the likeness, But i gotta say im Pro-hat.
    maybe the hat is half destroyed and she has it hanging in her belt or something? like its not wearable any longer but she keeps it for nostalgia :)
  • Chimi Jimi
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    as peeps before have said she really needs that hat just to tie it all together but you have nailed the likeness nice work
  • KassEscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    KassEscoe polycounter lvl 3
    these are awesome! i got the chills just looking at them. i cant wait to see more
  • polymator
    Offline / Send Message
    polymator polycounter lvl 6
    This is pretty dang nice! You nailed her likeness and kept to the Telltale style.
    I think she needs some scratches/bruises. Can't imagine she's had none of those while growing up. I don't mean you need to mangle her, just some indication of her hardships would add a lot.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the kind words, guys!!

@Lotet
    Thank you, and that is exactly what i've had in mind! She's not gonna wear it, but it will be hanged in her backpack for a memorabilia.
    But i might made her wear it, though, just to see if everything went well with the face, and decided later on whether to keep her wearing it or just as a prop.

@Chimijimi
    Thank you!! Yes, i'm adding the hat.

@Kassescoe
    Thank you. Got me some free time this week. Hopefully managed to get more work done on her.

@Polymator
    Thanks, and yes, agreed with the whole bruises idea. I'm going to add them later!

No update this time, i'm trying to work on my Riot entry too, hopefully i could finish them both.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Neck looks too long to me.

Also I don't suggest putting wrinkles in the pants in front of the knees, it will look very wrong any time your character has their legs bent which is usually a lot of the time
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @AtticusMars
    Yes, i'll try to shorten them up a bit.
    And thank you for the suggestion, i'll be sure to check on them.
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    looking really good, keep it up!
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @yodude
    Thanks, man. Appreciate the encouragement!

Anyway, nothing big going on since i'm focusing on my Riot Entry first, but managed to fix some anatomy problem, and do some hairstyles.

A bit half-assed work though, and only 3 hairstyles atm.
    dEDKTku.jpg

Actually liked the hairstyle 1, because i want her to look different than her younger self, but kinda afraid that nobody might recognized her.
    The hair styles 2 is just a shorter version of the original hair, but i like how she look with it + hat + tied hair.

What do you guys think? Don't mind the un-curliness, will add those after i've decided which one i'll use.
    If you had other hairstyles ref that kinda match with Clem's hair, let me know.

I'm working on her jacket and jeans atm
  • WesleyArthur
    Wow this is a great project idea! Executed very well so far. I'm a huge fan of the game too.

I think her nose might be a little small. Her nose in the game is fairly wide, and both her parents seem to have fairly prominent noses, so maybe it needs to be a little more bulbous?

I love the hairstyle stuff you're doing. The use of her cap is a great addition. If you were to use that I think it should be made fairly small. It fits her child head quite well, so on an adult I'd imagine it'd be much tighter, or sitting more on top of her head.

Personally I like 'Hairstyle 1'. My instinctive reaction would be to go for the original, with the cap, but as she knows the importance of short hair for survival, Hairstyle 1 offers the most logical, but stylish look. Perhaps the cap could just be a prop elsewhere on the character - attached to a bag or something.

Really great work, I'll definitely keep an eye on this project. I hope some of my comments have been useful, and I apologise if some of my points have already been mentioned!
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @Wesleyarthur
    Thank you for the kind words.
    Agree about the nose, i'll try to widen her nose and see if it makes her look much better.
    And about the hat, i'll make it smaller.

And yes, if i were to chose hairstyle 1, i'm going to attach the hat to her bag, with the hat being badly damaged that she can't use it.
    I'm still trying to find more ref for the hair, adding more option. All i know is that i has to be short.
  • WesleyArthur
    @JimmyRustler no problem! Yeah that's a great idea. A nice touch - that level of detail always sells the art so much better.

I'm glad I could help, I look forward to seeing more on this!
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Second pass on the clothes!

_wip_2__older_clementine_from_telltale_s_twd_by_yuliuskrisna-d878bym.jpg

I'll do her shoes next, and then the overall detail.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Holy crap those clothes! Is that all hand sculpted?
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap those clothes! Is that all hand sculpted?

Thank you, and yes, hand sculpted.:poly136:
    Still looks off on several part, but i think it still looks nice. Will improve later.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Revisiting this one again. Gonna redo the whole thing, making her more realistic, as the old one looks way off and weird. Using the new Clementine from S3 design for the basic shape reference, and then i will add my own flair. I'm discarding the old jacket model, because it looks too fashionable and unfit for the universe, going to model a basic thick leather jacket later.

Heres her basic head shapes so far.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    A few tweak and putting some color into it. Going to push the likeness a little bit more, and going to do the jacket later.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Still trying to put more effort at her likeness. And finished the base jacket, with a quick basic sculpt of the pattern.

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Kudos for still trucking away at this, I think she looks great! Even though it's more realistic I recognized her immediately.
  • Handwiches
    Looking great! Would love to see some pretty roughed up textures when you get to that point.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alemja
    Thanks! Still got a lot of unfinished projects that i like to continue because its such a shame to just threw it all away.
    Its good to know that i'm leaning in the right direction of her likeness, but still trying to pushed it more later.

@Handwiches
    Thank you! Definitely going to add wear and tear in the final tweak once i'm done sculpting all of the base cloth and such.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly getting there....

• Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Like the style and how the face turned out!
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tits Thanks. Still trying to push it a little bit further on her likeness, but yeah, i'm liking it so far myself.

A little update, overall clothing are done, except shoes. Still need more detail on the folds and what-not, but going to brainstorm first on what kind of accessories i need to add, to truly bring out her character.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Havent spend much time working on this, but this is a quick early concept of what i had in mind i did just now.

I'm really suck at doing a concept...i wanted to maintain a simple look for her outfit, but still well prepared for the apocalypse. I didn't want to clutter them with a bunch of gritty survival stuff, but i still feel unsatisfied with it because it looks so bland. Guess i'll just figure it out along the way..

Helps, suggestions, and feedback are appreciated. Meanwhile, i'm going to do her shoes.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Just putting the concept to life, with quick sculpts from spheres. Going to retopo the base after i've found the perfect balance later.

Removed her hat. The idea is that the hat is badly damaged, and because its pretty iconic for Clem, i tied it to her bag. Going to make the cloth a little baggier too, wanted to do a snowy scene for the presentation, so planning to make them thicker.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Back to basic first. Revisiting her base anatomy before detailing the cloth further. Going to emphasize the detail only on hand and head, since they're the only exposed skin in the final iteration.
    Let me know if theres some glaring anatomy issues, im still learning.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    First pass on the detail of her face i've done for today. Changed some of her head shapes.
    Still need to push the likeness more, will upload comparison too later after i've done some more.

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Every time I'm working on a character, I'll make sure to make the best possible underlying anatomy, even if the end result has, let's say, 10% exposed anatomy (like hands and a head only, for example). The "perfect" underlying anatomy ensures better fit and look for the clothes, NO MATTER if you're sculpting them by hand or simulating them in MD.

So, if I were you, I would also sculpt some proper feet with toes as well. It helps you to maintain the shape and size of shoes later on.

Anatomy critiques:

- The space between clavicles should be around the width of two fingers. Now they are too close to each other.

- Sternocleidomastoid also has a secondary clavicular origin, where it's lacking in your sculpt.

- The primary origin of sternocleidomastoid doesn't insert to the clavicles, it goes past them and inserts to the sternum (the manubrium part of it), hence the name of the muscle.

- The shape and insertion of the serratus anterior from the medial margin of scapula is now occupying the space for teres major, medial border of scapula and a bit of rhomboids.

- Her knees could have a bit better construction. Now they are nearly there, but not quite.

Here I made an overpaint for improvements:

http://i.imgur.com/iopLmKp.jpg

Some explanations:

The black line from her ASIS to pubic symphysis should be deeper, so that from a side view we could only see more or less her mons pubis. Look from these examples how nice is the angle from the belly fat pad to the pubic symphysis / mons pubis. And see how the sartorius makes the silhouette line from ASIS.

http://i.imgur.com/SeivfHc.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/JiAkLfM.jpg

- Both her medial and lateral erector spinae muscle columns should be emphasized a bit more.
    - Females have this rhombus of michaelis bump between their bony PSIS indentation landmarks
    - Those white zigzag lines represents areas for smoothing.
    - Clavicles should have a slight s-shape.
    - Her ribcage could me narrower.
    - Side of her breast could end with a soft round crease hitting the pecs.
    - On the lower part of her knees there should be tibial tuberosity visible.
    - The back of her knees, there is no extra line above the lower line. I marked it with a red zigzag.
    - The white dot on the side of her buttocks is the greater trochanter which is an indentation.

Etc. etc. You'll get the point, right? I hope this is useful, and sorry for my bad 2D overpaint. My 2D skills are zero. :D
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    @FourtyNights Hey, thanks for the criticism! Yeah, i still wanted to nailed the overall anatomy even though they're covered in the end. Though by detail, i meant like something skin pores, etc which im not going to do for the covered skins. For the shapes and all, i'm definitely going to follow your suggestions, so thanks again, its really helpful!
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for today, fixing some anatomies, but wanted to show her face more since i've found high poly sculpt of Clementine over at artstation, made by Telltale character Artist Steve Moore, so i used it for my ref

Heres the actual Clementine from Telltale

Heres mine

Lots of defined shape to show more mature side. Anybody know what part of the head shapes that has prominent changes over time and age?

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for today, i think im done with her her head, and hand, unless more feedback could be applied. Going to move on to the cloth.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpting some big folds on her Jacket. Haven't done the zipper yet, maybe tomorrow, and going to do some more detail on smaller/memory folds of the jacket.
    Yeah, its a pretty slow progress, as finding some motivation is pretty hard for me lately. So just doing this in my free time and when i felt like it.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for today. I'm done with the clothes, probably going to revisit the wear and tear. Next is her pants and shoes.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for today. Redoing the jeans and adding some pattern on it, with first quick pass on the folds.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for today. Refining the overall fold. Next up is adding some extra detail, and memory/smaller folds, and later some wear and tear.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for today. Adding detail and more smaller folds. Still need to add more detail, wear and tear, and definitely her shoes.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for today.  Shoes are from sphere, going to cleaned it up later, and i think im done with the jeans.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for today. Putting up everything i've done so far for a render. Needed to model the props first, definitely a bag, a gun, and a knife, before doing and overall refinement.

• JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for today. Base model for the bag are done, with quick first pass on the folds.