Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ice Cave

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
DeepSpaceBanana polycounter
I was inspired by Epic's Effects Cave Example and decided to do my own Ice Cave, heres a video, ur feedback is more than welcome.

[vv]111701226[/vv]

Replies

• fab-camp
    Offline / Send Message
    fab-camp polycounter lvl 6
    well looks nice already!
    but your effects could use some more tweaking. a lot of it seems overdone to me. I know its about showing off these effects. but their strength kind of breaks some of them.
  • DeepSpaceBanana
    Offline / Send Message
    fab-camp wrote: »
    well looks nice already!
    but your effects could use some more tweaking. a lot of it seems overdone to me. I know its about showing off these effects. but their strength kind of breaks some of them.

thanks for your feedback fab, could you be more specific about what i need to tone down? as in color or amount of particles etc?
  • gsokol
    I think some of your vfx stuff is a little heavy handed. The leaking water looks like really thick globs, as to the splashes when they land in the puddles. It makes it look like the water droplets weigh significantly more than they should.

Also..the burning barrel. Looks cool, but why is it here? Who would burn a barrel in an otherwise barren ice-cave? I think you should either consider removing it...or maybe build up the space to look like people have been exploring the cave, or something, it just seems strange by itself.

The sunshafts hitting the water..the way it just makes a flat highlight on the surface makes the water almost feel like solid ground. That is probably some really clear, stagnant water. That light should be penetrating straight though, with some clear glow under the surface, maybe even to the bottom of the water.

I think the ice material looks pretty nice on the larger chunks of ice.

Keep at it!
  • fab-camp
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry I´ll try to be more specific.
    because I´m at work right now I´ll write down a short list of things that popped to me adding some minor things to what gsokol already said:

water drops falling down look more like water running down a windowpane. leaving streaks behind.

reflections on ice-wall look strange. what is reflected here ? or are these like little ghost-spirits traveling through the ice ?

reflections on water don't look to good. Doesn't fit the environment to well. what engine are you using here? are you able to do screen-space reflections? or reflections for water planes? how is your cubemap created?
    (bubbles dont fit either)

water-movement looks strange. I guess you use animated uv´s here. they move way to fast. especially because the direction of waterflow in many situations dont make to much sense.

and most important: keep going, you got a nice scene here !!!! :)
  • fab-camp
    Offline / Send Message
    looked again after some minutes, I realized the overall scene looks like the cave is melting down. with all the streaks flowing down the walls and water dropping from ceiling.
    so you could push this further and bring in some kind of story why the cave is melting...
    just an idea...
  • DeepSpaceBanana
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I really appreciate you guys taking time out to give me some detailed feedback. I'm using unreal 4 to create the scene, I'll be sure to go back in and address these issues. The initial story was for the cave to have a giant alien monolith inside, and the barrels were to be placed there by some explorers who had come to the cave, but i quickly realised that the materials and Fx expecially the ice was taking a lot longer to do, so i had scope down and cancel most of the story elements.