Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tyler's sketch book

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
Hey whats up guys, just trying to speed up my modeling and improve as an artist....

so the goal is to do a project in an hour everyday

ok lets kick this off!

Sci-fi Grenade 1 hour

oA6GgiC.png

Replies

• Drimarcus
    Offline / Send Message
    Drimarcus polycounter lvl 6
    Heh interesting project :)

One hour seams like rly little time to do anything decent, maybe good for modeling/texturing practice. Maybe it would be better to spend bit more time but make something rly nice instead of lots of small things that are semi nice :D
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    @Drimarcus I agree with what you saying, this is just practice. To try to speed up my skills and get better as an artist. I am currently working on a bigger environment, which i need to post here haha but this is just a place where i can doodle and have some fun :) sometimes i just need to get those creative juices out....they get pent up at work making things for simulation hahaha
  • Drimarcus
    Offline / Send Message
    Drimarcus polycounter lvl 6
    Well its ok as long as you have fun :)
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    so tonight instead of doing a doodle i figure i would work on the environment a bit and give yall a peek as to how its looking. Let me know what you guys think.

right now i think the rock pile needs to be bigger and moved closer to the camera....as well as move up the slant on the left wall

Concept:
    rgpqALb.jpg

Wip:
    OSsvw9G.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    i finally found some time to work on it tonight was able to tweak some piping add wood and other things....let me know what you guys think

FDJotdM.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at it this morning with fresh eyes, and some comments from my coworkers
    -longer
    -wider

it should be a fun night tonight, time to add detail and make the meshes interesting :)
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Started the detail phase!!
    defiantly trying out a few things and sort of stepping away from the concept
    let me know what you guys think!

SlArNZw.jpg
    o2tQ3Rf.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    woo was able to do a bit more work, created wall lights and defined the vent let me know what you guys think .

FOrQzLo.jpg

WHTMUV0.jpg
    Im feeling the vent needs more work but this is the direction i would like to take it

BU1WDfb.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like its missing something.....but i cant put my finger on it..

e4v0qhe.jpg?1
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    ...so i think i got it after talking with some friends (Nomadsoul2501) it appears to be that my scale is off, to fix this issues i will be changing the FOV and shortening up the corridor

Also the goals of this project are to take the concept art shown above and translate that into a AAA environment :)

if anyone else sees a way to improve this please let me know CC always welcome and very much appreciated.
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    so i needed to take a break from that environment a for a bit so i did some smaller things in the mean time and started a project that im doing on my lunch break.

so I did this little piece in a few hours just to do something quick
    HP Omen Lap Top
    28F5hDX.jpg

Then lately i have been refining a concept for a deep space stealth ship
    cAKwT9i.jpg
    O5OXdC3.jpg
    XDcLC3W.jpg

and then during my lunch hour i have started doing a little project inspired by destiny! im about 4 hours in and i need fix my scale so that will be on the to do list for tomorrow.

LQfWhdC.jpg

as always let me know what you guys think :)
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a little work on the Deep space Stealth bomber.
    what do yall think?

PSGaVf9.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Lunch Doodle 1:

Lunch doodle 2:
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Good Morning Polycount!
    Found some time over the weekend to do some art, check it out.
    Little Mountain Sculpt in Zbrush
    C&C always welcome

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Really excited to announce that I will be release this on Steam for Free for VR in the coming weeks.
    A few things need to be polished before then though, a few objects need materials.......I also need to create a door asset lol...but if you guys see anything let me know :)

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some tweaks this weekend changing up color scheme, as well as
    -Added grass
    -Added Rocks
    -Implemented Teleportation and Pick up functionality
    -resized the hoses
    -Improved Frame Rate

Things left to do:
    -Create a door
    -Texture orb vent
    -Fix Collision issue where use teleport under the ground
    -add ambient music/sounds

But let me know what you guys think, comments and crits welcome :) 
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys i hope you guys are having a great day did a bit of substance work last night and implemented it into the scene :)

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    What up Polycount,

Started work on the door that i have been talking about for a few weeks now lol

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    What up Polycount happy friday,

did some more work on the door its coming, i think i need MOAR wires lol but we are almost there :)
    then all i need to do is texture this asset,
    the white pillars, the black vents and the tanks on the outside and i think she is ready to be shipped
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Good Morning Polycount,
    Was able to carve our a bit of time last night to flesh out the tunnel
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Hok....so alot of changes this weekend biggest change is real Time GI and bouncing lighting have been implemented and fully functional Via LPVs (Light Propagation Volume) and was able to achieve a stable frame rate for VR
    Change list
    -Reworked tunnel area, new meshes, lighing set up and partcle FX
    -tweaked main bld mesh
    -tweaked lighting
    -blocked out console which should provide some game play elements
    -added more debris to the hole in the main bld

But as always let me know what yall think :)

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Did not get to do alot this weekend, I hope everyone had a great one.
    Here is a substance mat I made on Friday...oh and if this is in the wrong section im sorry and you can move me lol :( 

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy Friday Polycount,
    Just a little doodle i did last night i feel the damage state one could use some more love.
    let me know what y'all think.

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on my Traditional skills
    Comments, crits, tutorials very welcome hahah
    Happy Friday!

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy Tuesday Y'all! I am starting this thing where on Mondays I do a tutorial on a part of my skill set where i feel like i need improvement This week was zbrush/Concept art I didn't have the time to take it to Photoshop :( Tools used Zbrush, Marmoset
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Just somethings i worked on over the weekend....happy Monday :smiley:

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    its been way too long since I've been on here, I hope you guys have been well :D 
    Here are some fun doodles and some Precursor stuff :D 

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message

been a long time since ive updated i hope everyone is well im going to try to do a sculpt a day, check out yesterday and this mornings explorations into alien forms using zbrush, Happy Thursday everyone :D

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message

Happy Tuesday Champions, Today's update is level design....currently working on an environment located in a distant universe.

The player finds themselves in a botched invasion of a hostile world, they must gain access to the facility before high tide arrives.

and of coarse there will be a distant storm rolling in with high tide.

below are some initial ideas into level layout and look and feel, the map will have inherent verticality and it should be pretty fun and challenging to incorporate different gameplay styles into the game design, so if players would like to approach it via stealth they can or if they want to go in guns a blazing they can as well. There will be multiple points of entry into the facility

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message

Happy Tuesday Polycount!

I hope everyone is having a great day so far, finally found some time to work on the level. Still in the block-out phase, trying layout player paths that allow or are geared for different play styles.

I really love the idea of blending stealth and non-stealth combat, I want to give the player the ability to approach the scenario in anyway they wish. The ultimate objective is making it to the main facility after crash landing and regrouping with the main invasion force. The player will be able to make their own path to the objectives and discover side objectives that would be cool if they impacted the main overall story. Things like:

• taking out the AA
    • Destroying the generator
    • finding an alternate entrance to the base (stealth route)

Alternate playstyles to support:

• Vehicles (Tank - Over Powered?) (Jeep?)
    • Action
    • Stealth

I also got a first version of a hover tank working im not sure if itll make it into this level but its really fun to play around with hahah

I'm also at the point where I'm wondering if I need to take the time and get a baseline AI in before I push forward in developing the level. I would love to hear your thoughts on that

• Eric Chadwick

Sounds really neat. But wow that looks like a massive undertaking.

It might be prudent to make a smaller "vertical slice" of the level, to hone your skills across the board, establish the style, figure out AI, player navigation, skydomes, etc.

It's a lot of work, easy to get overwhelmed or demotivated.

Once all that's working, then you can just expand on it, make the full thing!

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message

@Eric Chadwick I totally agree also thanks for the reply :D

I think im going to focus on this tidal pool area and part of the base attached as seen below

I think the issue that I'm having that fleshing out the verticle slice will help solve is how to design with these different playstyles in mind.....the player controller is in a decent spot in the current build.

I have some baseline AI to drop in from an older testbed project, I had been working on an auto squad function and patrol and formation but its not very smart....id love to have some form of smart Ai but if i can get them taking cover and engaging the player with the ability for the player to disengage from combat.........id call that a win for version 1

Is it a bit unreasonable to have stealth elements in a level that is essentially a space version of a beachhead landing?

And this is a massive project it has been years in the making haha, part of the crazy dream to make a game. I've been in the docs/story writing phase for yearsssssss lol.

So it sounds like for next steps I should be dropping in the AI, getting it to a playable state and seeing how the combat actually plays out?

• Eric Chadwick

If your goal is to be paid as an artist, then I would focus only on making the best art. Everything else should be saved for later.

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message

Happy Friday!!

I hope everyone's been enjoying the week :)

I started doing some explorations into some rock and alien coral sculps, still a lot more exploring lol :D

the lighting needs work and feels a bit too "unnatural" even for an alien world, I need to find a better color for that harsh purple and maybe change/move the yellow light.

but overall the scene needs a bit more lighting....it feels too dark

I really love the light green accent light on the rocks I think ill lean into that a bit more and see what happens

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message

Happy Wednesday,

I've been able to put in some work on the environment.

Exploring some rock sculpting, trying to tackle the environment in layers. so for this first pass, I'm focusing on the rock formations. The process has been pretty simple, I have been exporting the block-out forms directly from UE5 kicking them to Zbrush then export as an fbx and import back into ue5 as a nanite mesh.

I did encounter an error with one of my meshes, one of the coral meshes came into unreal as a black mesh with the text "Your scene contains a skydome mesh with a sky material but it does not cover that part of the screen"

The fix, for now, has been to change the minimum residency of the mesh( in the nanite settings for the mesh) and it now shades correctly in the viewport...but I'm still unable to actually select it, I can select it in the scene outliner and edit it that way, just a bit weird.

Wips:

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message

Happy Monday!

I hope everyone had an epic weekend!

After doing some initial Zbrush test sculpts, I thought there had to be a better way of doing this. So I started experimenting with Houdini.....The idea is that I could create a tool that could generate rocks similar to my sculpts seen in the post above.

So, the way the tool currently works is that you first define your input geometry in unreal.....the rock tool takes this input, fractures it, and introduces some silhouette changes, then that gets fractured, and gravity is applied. Then the polygon input is converted into a density cloud, and noise is applied. We then convert our density cloud back into polygons, reducing the polycount, UV, and bake. This is then sent back to unreal.

I am currently facing some UV and bake issues, but I am very excited by the initial result. I still need to build out the variables to allow uses to control rock spread, custom collision inputs, and bake options.

Here is the current progress

Input:

Output:

Input in houdini:

HP output Houdini: