Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

OTs-38 Stetchkin silenced revolver

Replies

• s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    This came out sick man. For a first person weapon, i'd agree with Darko. For third, this workflow looks awesome. The few smoothing pulls kinda lend themselves to the imperfection that exists in most man made things anyway.

You may have posted about it already, if so sorry for being repetitive, but could you share some incite on your process for the high? are you using strickly sg's and geo? or do you use meshsmooth by SG to establish shapes/curves? I'm curious how you go about building up shapes and establishing certain things. A wireframe for the high would be sweet to see as well.

:thumbup:
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the highpoly is just 1 smothing group. And you go about adding edges in parts to control the actual smoothing of the mesh.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, looking good, but i feel like material definition still has some ways to go. It all feels a bit samey in terms of reflections, nothing really pops that much or contrasts with each other. The wood looks more like plastic imo. Would be nice to see your spec and rough/gloss sheet. I promise I won't look up values in a chart ;)

Also looking at refs it seems like you took some design departures from the real thing to make it all much softer and rounded. I guess it works for third, but it's a bit much for closeups imo.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    d90zprV.jpg

im still finna fix those bake errors on the hammer dont think im sleepin on it

y4wGuxM.jpg

d6pDfuR.jpg
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 wrote: »
    You may have posted about it already, if so sorry for being repetitive, but could you share some incite on your process for the high? are you using strickly sg's and geo? or do you use meshsmooth by SG to establish shapes/curves? I'm curious how you go about building up shapes and establishing certain things. A wireframe for the high would be sweet to see as well.
    The grip and frame are both subd modeled on this one. A few other parts might be too. The rest is what we'd call lowpoly geo but it's all on one SG.

I think the atchisson and the cobray both didn't have subd parts.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You should be pushing the roughness/gloss WAY more I think, all looks like nearly the same tone of gray right now. The wood barely differs from the painted metal.

I think this is an example that works well: http://joerivromman.com/KSG.html

That rough texture has much more contrast, while the spec is more solid color with much less variation. That could make a good difference, moving some of your contrast from spec to gloss/rough.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What looks off to you?

I'm going for a matte steel finish and some walnut grips with all of it pretty well used.

Most game artists when making guns, IMO, make wood too dull and metal too glossy.

1873-chisholm-revolver.png?itok=XWMcLYaf

DSCN0460.jpg

I love Joeri's gun btw.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leave the man alone. he knows what he is doing :D
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nah it's not like that... i appreciate all feedback, i try to think it over
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was only kidding man, I know you do ;)
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tough to work on this the last couple days. tried changing some values a little bit though. tried to group values better between wood and metal, and jack up the gloss on the metal a bit. could take it further or take it back, gotta think about it and mess w/ it.

bLjPilD.jpg

SIeSdvA.jpg

this one's ambient only / no lights on / no photoshop gradient overlay shit
    gawbiZP.jpg

I made a little checklist of places to detail and bake errors to fix sos to call this done soon
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Hmmmm I'm kinda with ben on this, I'm really feeling those gloss levels on the metal. So many artists have a tendency to go full glossy on metals - it's pretty unrealistic in a lot of cases. I'm liking the amount of detail in the gloss/rough too, but imo the levels need more range.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It looks very cool, but shouldn't the resulting value of the metallic parts be way lower ? I am consciously *not* referring to any map in particular in order to avoid any confusion here - just talking about the end result as a image.

I feel like a good approach would be to bring this most recent screenshot in photoshop, adjust the value of the metallic parts there in order to establish a strict point of reference to aim for, and then tweak the maps accordingly.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator

Thats like literally the worst possible feedback to give to an artist: P
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    callin it done

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

wire.jpg

maps.jpg
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    great work sir, once again :)
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Beautiful work on the maps there bud. Nice use of situational wear and tear and the overall materials read well under different lighting conditions. Makes me want to make a pistol.
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    This is one of my favorite gun models on Polycount. I don't know how to explain it, but I want to hug the model, specially the black/green version. O_O
    Great job!!!
  • Nickox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nickox polycounter lvl 10
    Top Notch work Ben. Keep it up!!!