Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique - Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
So I redesigned my portfolio to make it a lot more simplistic and straightforward. I'm constantly joining new challenges and trying to keep it updated with new work, and I wanted to get your opinions and feedback on any of the props, models or textures in the environments. So I know what to fix and what to get rid of. I just finished up a Noob Challenge for October and have not posted it up yet cause I know there is still plenty that can be done to it. So any feedback on that will be much appreciated. Definitely wish I was a lot more active on Polycount during school rather than way after. Thanks everyone.

- Jonathan Eiger

www.jonathaneiger.com

farm.jpg

Replies

• theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Overall, your portfolio is solid. There is still room for improvement. Especially your lighting. At the moment, what I see as I look at your main portfolio page is basically, generally flat yellowish lighting, you need more contrast between light and dark and cool and warm.

Some specifics...

Your scene with the bridges, I'm assuming that your plaster and brick walls are vertex blending? Try to work in a mask file to make the edges of the vertex blend look so much more awesome... assuming that's what you did there.

On your material samples... they're generally all too... the same in their spectacularity, they all feel... a little plastic much too even.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks LMP. I see what you mean on the lighting aspect, that's why its great to have a second eye look at it. The Village scene is an older environment I created and it was back when I started to learn how to do vertex painting and creating shaders in Unreal. But I definitely agree on adding a mask to it to make it blend a lot better. Thanks for the feedback.
  • acidarts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acidarts polycounter lvl 4
    I took a look at your material study, and I think there you should really work on your specular/roughness maps, because they are too flat. In my opinion :-)
  • theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acidarts: I agree, I'm going to be working with those materials a lot more to make sure they have better maps, as it is now it is looking pretty flat.