Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fan Project - 'Routine'

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Thall polycounter lvl 5
I love the combinations of styled used for the upcoming game 'Routine'. The style mixture of 80's and sci-fi really intrigues me and I'm a big fan of both styles.

I was so inspired by a concept done by the games lead artist Arron Foster that I'm attempting to recreate a scene using the pbr workflow. I know its a little bit different from whats in the game trailer released, but I wanted to make my own version I guess and stay true to the concept. I hope to finish with a render inside unreal 4.

Of course I welcome all C&C. Thanks guys.

The original concept:

xpxU1B7.jpg

The story so far:

Eh1wDXB.jpg

Replies

• Thall
    Offline / Send Message
    Thall polycounter lvl 5
    A small update, testing some materials and some ideas before giving this part the full treatment. I'm trying very hard to make the scene look how it should to give that 80's scifi look without breaking the details (as in choosing colours, geo, normal maps, etc that are true to the style). Thinking about some more small art pieces (posters, bobble heads, things form the 80's) and a bit more story to this specific work desk (coffe ring stains, dirty build up, damage/abuse to the desk), as there will be 5 in total. As always, I of course welcome critiques and suggestions.

6NdAtuq.jpg

gkwaAYK.jpg

KB7J0uS.jpg
  • Swarm22
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Where movies usually go wrong when trying to recreate the 80's I find is when they pander to the pop culture of the time. You walk through an office and there are pet rocks everywhere, the secretary looks like Pat Benatar and EVERYBODY is wearing neon. It just comes off as fake and cheap, not authentic to what the 80's really were like. You're doing it wrong if the only way we know it's that decade is by the pop culture references everywhere. Just something to keep in mind.
  • Thall
    Offline / Send Message
    Thall polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks 'Swarm22' Thats definitely given me something to think about type of props and placement for the scene, because the concept is a bit bare I'll be trying to think of things that will work.

For now I've kept going on the major parts moving up to the last major wall pieces and cables then I'll start on the detailed stuff and polish.

I broke down the scene and also took a quick render of where I'm up to. of course, C&C greatly appreciated!.

oUdgAmj.jpg

jwJeTVo.jpg
  • Thall
    Offline / Send Message
    Thall polycounter lvl 5
    All the major parts are done :) now to polish and bring in some props. here is a render and a wireframe.

odzEn8S.jpg

ZL76LBn.jpg
  • mats effect
    Saw this on art station today, very nice work. Its all in keeping with the original concept. What engine is it in? Unreal 4?
  • Thall
    Offline / Send Message
    Thall polycounter lvl 5
    So far its just being rendered in toolbag2. Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been busy with some other project and looking for a job now that I've graduated. I made all the smaller props and I'm adding them in now. If I get some free time I'll do the light mapping UV's and bring it into unreal 4.
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Thall wrote: »
    6NdAtuq.jpg

Looking pretty nice all up!

For the keyboard: http://www.azfonts.net/load_font/1196841855_technic.html is a good font approximation for a lot of the earlier spherical keys. Some of the text on the modifier keys might be too large too, but I can understand that if you were trying to make it more readable on a small texture sheet :)
  • Thall
    Offline / Send Message
    Thall polycounter lvl 5
    Final Update! I'm back from holidays and spent the week adding the final touches to the scene to make it feel (hopefully) more alive and to give it a bit more character. Thanks for all the supportive comments, they were extremely helpful in guiding me to this stage where I'm happy to let it go.

I also added some break downs of the scene. enjoy :)

SlwquaR.jpg
    S0QtZPa.jpg
    ICzEUCB.jpg
    A8JE1Ka.jpg
    QrxV2Dr.jpg
    EV39ADt.jpg
    JAOfeEr.jpg
    3FrL91j.jpg
    iXojEm4.jpg
    Q9WV2Ve.jpg
    toWM5NC.jpg
    I2Ucdw3.jpg
    JFFCgmN.jpg
  • mats effect
    Very nice work loving the assets break down, I keep thing the first screenshot is a concept! Gona be adding these to my polycount inspiration folder.

If I had to crit one thing it would be that the door in this screen is a little too simple looking. Does not look like there is any way for it to slide into the wall or anything.
  • redvanda
    Nice work! I particularly like the lighting and break down shots.
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    I really like the feeling that you've been able to create here. One thing I would say though would be to maybe tone down the scratches you've got everywhere. They're a bit too even throughout the whole scene. Try and vary it in places that make the most sense for it to be (think usage). Also, try and get some nice reflection on the monitors you have or have them emanating some crazy light like the old NASA monitors did. Just some things to think about!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    This looks amazing. Had no idea you could do full environments like this just in toolbag 2.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
  • dpadam450
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    To me the wall textures look like they have too much big noise. They seem like really dirty walls. I would add a bit more reflectivity to the walls, about as much as what you have on the ground for reflection (if the walls are metal).