• lospri
    Offline / Send Message
    lospri polycounter lvl 9
    That's awesome ! ;-)
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirhaian polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you! ^_^
    I probably won't have much time today for a new WIP (my teachers organized a retro-gaming party, so I'll join them :D).
    I'll keep you updated asap. ^_^
  • Hakaeshar
    I don't know if you're still looking for a distort material but here is what I am using for distort effects http://i.imgur.com/G95ATUO.jpg?1
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh! Thousands of thanks! *^*
    I'm gonna look into this! :D

EDIT: You made my day! I successfully integrated your material in my effect. :)
    I'll post a WIP as soon as everything's done. ^_^
    Many thanks! :D
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Fast WIP:

qzndBYd.gif

I added the distortion effect (thank you again, Hakaeshar! :D). Now working on the impact. :)
  • sgtscience
    Offline / Send Message
    sgtscience polycounter lvl 8
    In Unreal 4 they replaced distortion with refraction. I haven't looked into it yet, still learing a few other things before I get to it, but here is the unreal 4 documentation for it:
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Resources/ContentExamples/MaterialNodes/1_14/index.html
    OH I DIDN'T READ THE LAST THREE POSTS! sorry >_< I noticed when I looked at the last animation again and was like, that looks like distortion or refraction after the impact :P
  • sgtscience
    Offline / Send Message
    sgtscience polycounter lvl 8
    you might want to look into turning off the auto exposure in the camera also. You can do this by setting the min and max to 1, then adjust the bias to crank the exposure up or down. Might help for more consistent results. You might have to set this in your global post processing also, not sure. Lookin good btw!
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ah, don't worry! :D
    It doesn't show up that much in that last gif, I'll make a new one soon. =p
    I've been a bit busy yesterday, so couldn't really work on the fx. (But I ended third in a Mario Kart NES mini-contest, so it was worth it! \o/)

I will turn off the auto exposure, thanks! Didn't know how to do so either. xD
    I also got a few new ideas for both effects. I'll keep you updated. :)
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    A really quick WIP:

2erNWNm.jpg

And a new .gif:

oJc2TTb.gif

Basically a color test. Don't know if it's better or not. Will revert if you think the old feel was better. :)

EDIT
    ======

Got some bad feedbacks about the blue gaz-like effect. Reverted it.

So, some new close-up gifs:

RRUT39I.gif

is8BfmM.gif
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some particles to the impact... :)

6BbBi3F.gif

I'm tweaking the impact effect for now.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworked a bit the Requiem of Thunder...
    Basically trying out a few effects on it. Experimental.

b0G0hL1.gif

EDIT:
    ==========

Tweaked a bit:
    UdDSUxC.gif

EDIT 2:
    ==========

Added a wallpaper/screenshot of my Fiery Ezreal. Just for fun. :D

L6ucqfE.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Love these!
    With spell #2, it'd be nice to see the floor effect continue on past the sphere. -except for the middle part which would stop right in front as if to make it look like it was absorbed by the sphere.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooh, nice idea! :)
    I'll try to make that happen, thank you! ^_^

EDIT:
    =============

Here it is :)
    8dVFvOu.gif
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaand, the latest video! :)

Click for a YouTube link:
    ijnnjmw.jpg
  • Klemen
    Nice work Kevin, I like your effects but there seem to be some disconnect in style between them. The second one seems a bit more realistic compared to the first, electric one (I suffer from this myself). I would get rid of the distortion, I don't think it's required. I'm not a fan of the panning decal, I would leave it stationary, fade it off towards the sides more and only reveal it with a linear gradient below the main strike.

Another thing I would be wary of is particle counts. You seem to be spawning an awful lot of sprites in this second one, that might have been an issue in a production situation.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaah, thank you for this comment! *_*
    I'm gonna look into all of this. :)

Yes, having the same style in both of them is really hard, especially as this is the first time I ever make VFXs... ^^'
    I really wanted to make a distortion effect, a bit like Lux's Final Spark. But it doesn't look really good, so I'll either try to make it better, or I'll just remove it. :)
    For the panning decal, yeah. I completely agree. I'll remove it. :)
    About the particle count..... Yup. I will look into that too. I'll try to replace some particle effects by meshes.

Once again, thank you for your comment, it really helps. ^_^

EDIT:
    ==============

Looks like I now have a better distortion shader. Tried it and it looks WAY better than previously. Will upload WIPs soon.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a more cartoony version of the Ezreal ult.

EXTREMELY WIP

v1 - Very basic rework.
    qRr2FuK.jpg

v2 - Need to scale everything right.
    vHDNlWY.jpg

v3 - First "watchable" .gif.
    pyqonNT.gif
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    This is gonna be interesting. First time I ever make VFXs and first time I ever make something in a cartoony style... Yup. Gonna be interesting. xD

Anyway, current WIP. Gonna work on this the whole day. Sleep is for the weak! :D
    Pu3uJUu.gif

Oh, and yeah, I HAD a lot of particles. Went from about a 4000 max to a 300. So yeah, thanks for telling me to reduce the particles. xD

EDIT 1
    ============
    KQ4YNxM.gif

EDIT 2
    ============
    EzWRUJE.gif

EDIT 3
    ============
    HI3bClJ.gif
    pKY6yMO.gif
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Pfwa, I think I'll need some time to get a good cartoon render.

Current WIP:
    fmOLdIL.gif

EDIT: gonna work a bit on some personal projects, like this disintegration shader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stMzazhP8ZI. Then, I'll come back to work on those two LoL effects. :p
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Fantastic work dude. And you student? Your off to a great start.:thumbup:

Your Fiery Ezreal effect is the strongest imo. Sorta has a Blizzard/Diablo 3 style too it.

Keep it up!
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww, thank you! :D
    Yes, I am in my third year of general graphic design. Been studying in the video games field for one year now. :)
    Thank you for your critique, highly appreciate it! \o/
  • huynhke
    Offline / Send Message
    huynhke polycounter lvl 6
    The cartoony style is starting to kick in! And in contrary to mikezoo, I REALLY like your karthus ult haha.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    This shit is super tight man, great job, you've been making great use of peoples suggestions as well, it's cool seeing all the different iterations.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, thank you guys! :D
    I'm gonna restart working on those two effects really soon. :)
    I'll post new WIPs asap. ^_^
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again, everyone! Today I am trying to get closer to Panda Annie's feel. I will rework most of the textures so that they get a nice cartoon style. :)

My first WIP would be this one:
    r4WPN8C.jpg

As Riot would say, this is extremely tentative, and it will change. Just wanted to let you know about the progress. :)
    Oh, and I'll completely rework the "lava" decal effect. Didn't really like it, so... I'll see what I can do to replace it. :)

EDIT 1
    ========

FXSjLWi.jpg

Easier to see what I'm trying to achieve:
    GhZhLpG.jpg

EDIT 2
    ========

Adjusted some colors, so that the darker clouds aren't pitch black, but more "night blue".
    GBtLahd.jpg
    I'm beginning to love cartoon. :D

A first .gif of the new version.
    UkIgBAa.gif

EDIT 3
    ========

I am planning to make a more chinese-styled Ezreal. Something like a Panda Fiery Ezreal. Like an Annie super-brother. Would be cool. :D
    Anyway, ehem... I was thinking of spawning each Zodiac character when the flames are ignited in the channel phase. As in, the little zodiac character would pop, go up a bit and fade. Then, on the release, they'd all reappear, bigger and shiny.

twelve-chinese-zodiac-signs-18353622.jpg

Maybe, looking a bit like this:
    horoscope-sign-compatibility.jpg

Just ideas, though. Tell me what you think of it! :D
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    Hmmm, maybe have the fire underneath your projectile trail behind it farther, instead of right underneath it? It may look good to have it right behind the inner curve, since nothing that is emitted while moving will stay directly next to it's source, unless it is emitting at a violently fast rate.

Also, how do you make gifs like this? Are you rendering out frames and then compiling them as a gif, or is there something that converts videos to them?
    I've just been posting youtube videos of my updates, but I think this would be a better visual way to show off progress.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, you're right, I'll do that. :)

For the Gifs, I use "ScreenToGif". It's a free and easy-to-use little program. ^^
    Here's the website for it: https://screentogif.codeplex.com/
    Enjoy! :)

Oh and also. This program creates really big .gif files. You'd better make sure you first compress them on Photoshop or any other converting program before uploading them. :p

EDIT
    =======

It does look better! Thank you! :D
    etrlUOw.jpg

EDIT 2
    =======

New .gif
    s5PqrJx.gif

EDIT 3
    =======

qzwd80S.jpg
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'm probably not getting feedback because no one wants to click on links :P
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Might be, yes. :)
    I had that problem in early stages too. Quickly switched to Gifs. xp
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, for your symbols idea: instead of the charging fireballs in an arc, you could do a few symbols with a firey texture, then use distortion to give it the illusion of movement and heat. So you would have a flame symbol in the place of each fireball, scaled about the same, that flickered and waved a little
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that was my idea. :D
    I just finished creating all 12 textures for the kanjis. Now gonna try and make a nice shader for them. :3
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokii288 polycounter lvl 3
    Thenderson: Its at least easier for me if there's just a gif in the thread since I'm just skimming these during pauses at work. But it is also pretty slow at the start.

Sirhaiain: This is looking really fun! I'm curious to see the symbols, see if it adds anything. Since you're going for a "chinese theme" like the annie skin I think your stylization is helping a lot :D Keep goin man! Looking good.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokii: Yeah, gifs are sometimes really heavy to load... Should be a way to delay them, or just a "click-to-load" thing. :p

By the way, small WIP of the shader. Just made in those last 3 minutes, so still pretty rough:
    tBic2UX.jpg
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    How it currently looks like with the particles. Each "orb" (don't know how to call them xD) will feature an unique zodiac symbol. I'd like to make them more visible. Gonna look into that. :)

A bit more readable already...
    GPjubYe.jpg

EDIT 2
    =======

Actually, this gif is just for fun. Thought it was kinda funny to see how the characters just pop out like that, as in a Manga. xD I'll work on a better timing once the shaders and particles are fine. :)
    Vu1JG8h.gif

EDIT 3
    =======

Finally, I think it's not that a bad idea. Gonna look into that. Here's what I have for now:
    Ij0sgrM.gif

My idea would be to make them fade in and move to their position, as if they'd "lock in". :D
    O1k6vpc.jpg
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's what it looks like right now! :D
    ZIX6kW1.gif

Gonna work on the "Lock" effect for each kanji. I'd like to give that locked-in feeling. Like the Stargate when we enter the coordinates. :D

Anyway, I can't wait to hear your feedbacks on this. They will surely help A LOT. xD

Edit 1: I'm wondering if it's a good idea to use actual chinese kanjis for this. Wouldn't it be better to use some kind of runes or something ?
    I'm having a few ideas to improve this effect, and I think I'm gonna push it as far as I can. *_*
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great so far, it definitely has that chinese firework feel to the runes
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! =)
    I'm currently """"brainstorming"""" about my other ideas. I'll keep you updated asap. :)
  • Lokii288
    Offline / Send Message
    maaaan. How do you find the time to make so many posts O_O lol

Anyway its looking awesome man. I like the style
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! :3
    Gonna work on this tomorrow!

Well, I have one week without school, soooo.... Yah, I spend my whole time working on this. :D
  • zzMedVeDzz
    Offline / Send Message
    zzMedVeDzz polycounter lvl 7
    Damn, this so awesome, bro. GL, hope you will get a part of prize pool.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! :D
    I don't think I'll be able to win this... There are sooo many talented people out there... *_* I don't think I stand a chance. XD
    And as I said waay earlier, I'm just doing this for the sake of training. :)

Anyway, here's my early today's WIP:
    w9jZLFZ.gif

Basically just put some of my ideas from scratch and modified the chinese "runes", so that they still have the chinese feel, but without being pure chinese symbols. I think it looks better and it's more readable. But well, I'll still work on them, especially the big one. :)

EDIT 1
    =======

Working on the big symbol:
    f2W0DGK.jpg
  • DA_Fox
    Hello!
    Great FXs, Sirhaian!
    Regarding that chinese kanjis idea. You can try and make every next symbol a bit larger as they appear more toward the center. And the last one, the very central will be the largest and maybe let it go forward with fire wave through static symbols, like it pushes the wave, and goes a bit along slowly dissapearing. Hope you'll find this helpfull. :)
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yes, this is helpful! :D
    Thank you for the comment and the idea! ^_^
    Gonna work on this right now. >83
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    First preview from the back of the caster:
    2o2OCG6.gif

3/4 top:
    hQ3kMEk.gif

Gonna add particles that follow the Dragon symbol. Maybe meshes. Don't know yet, I'll see. Gonna fade the other ones more, so that the big one looks more epic and important. :)
  • DA_Fox
    Really like your Requiem of Thunder FX!
    Although I think that channeling phase is a bit messy. It starts really nice, but then that part I've tried to picture on my lil sketch (fig.2), stops to evolve and it remains pretty still till the end. :) Of course there is texture anim's going but it's visible that the mesh is static.

To improve it you can make it evolve with the rest of effect. Like make it round at start and growing as the power is concetrated and fx progresses. As I tried to picture. :)

And maybe it just me, but I think this messy look comes from two big thick bursts of energy and that really quick 4th circle. Its motion barely can be seen, so it appear as blink and do not support the main idea of contraction. I think better to get rid of it. Or make it dilate synced with final burst. :)

As for two thick bursts it's better not to make this one large pre-final burst. Just condensate and maybe make two tiny-medium pre-burst (like on fig.3 on picture) in sync with circles. And then big final realese as it's now.

soDBwbV.jpg

Hope you grab the idea! Anyway nice work. Keep it up! :poly121:
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Woaw! :O
    Thank you for this amazing reply. *_*
    It surely helps ALOT! xD
    I'm gonna look into this asap! :D

For now, here's my current Ez's WIP:
    mnqq4hI.gif

I still have to sync the little cylinder mesh light thingy that follows the circle. And to scale the small characters so that they're bigger in the center.

EDIT 1
    ========

vJy14XA.gif

3/4 Top
    YaaKlz5.gif

For the trail, I'll use a world-position'ed decal. Stay tuned. :3

EDIT 2
    ========

Worked a bit on the trail. Wanted it really smooth, just as if the ground was burning, but not "breaking". Made it so that it looks like the ground got covered in ashes.

UUeXjUL.gif
  • C.K.Shepherd
    I love watching this one come together, it's already infinitely better than what you started with.
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! :3
    That's because I'm modifying everything all the time, following your critiques. :D

I think now I'll work a bit on the Karthus ult, and I'll see what I can do about what DA_Fox told me. ^_^

Made a small preview of my textures just for ya:
    b8KBkIB.jpg
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Working a bit on the Karthus ult. I now use the same texture as the Ezreal's ult, for the clouds/smoke effects. Will help me keep the same style.

fDzSqnH.jpg

EDIT 1
    =======

Modified the fume texture a bit.

Ezreal
    17bECjb.jpg

Karthus
    W9TFfAE.jpg