Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Industrial Lamps [Substance and PBR Practice]

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
mospheric polycounter lvl 11
Hello Polycount! I'm creating a series of industrial lamps for testing out Substance Designer and getting more practice with PBR. My goal is to create models that hit that realistic mark.

My first model is a fisherman's light. It has a copper (rusted) base, brushed steel wires, glass bulbs, and a wooden pedestal. So far, I've created a worn, used copper material that will be under the rusted portions. How does the copper look? As a note, I don't have any AO on the model yet. Any feedback on Substance Designer or PBR would be appreciated!

TD38Z2I.jpg

Replies

• Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    What happened there where middle piece joins the top piece? something looks weird? baking artefacts maybe?
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    It does look weird, but it's just the angle of the image capture!
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Diving more into the PBR studies. Also hit the limitations associated with the Substance Designer viewport. I will be exporting the maps into Toolbag 2 for viewing now.

Now that my textures are in Toolbag, I can see that my copper base is too dark. Also I'm not completely happy with the rust I've created, so I'll be continually tweaking. I have not touched the glass textures yet, but those are next in my list before I call this asset done. I look forward to any feedback!

Lbfgi1u.jpg

N2hVcfF.jpg
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Looking forward to checking out your lamps ^.^

edit: Posted that before I saw your new shot. It's coming along, but as you said it needs tweeking. Looking forward to seeing more!
  • DWalker
    The verdigris seems largely arbitrary. As with anything else caused by moisture, you'd typically see it concentrated around where moisture would gather or stay; the bevel at the rim, and the junction of the neck & bowl, for example.
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks DWalker! I'll work on creating masks that make more sense.
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent some time creating unique masks that made sense for the piece. I also feel like I'm getting the hang of Substance Designer. I love the non-destructive workflow! I had to rebake a normal map and was giddy to see the changes propagate to all the textures/materials.

Looking back, I can see that my copper had way too much shine to it. I've mostly tuned the copper and verdigris while creating the glass materials. I feel like I'm close to calling this PBR study done. Excited to start the next lamp :)

5gahUFp.jpg

rFIDrlG.jpg
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    the latest pass on the materials looks a heck of alot better.

The scratches on the glass encasing could use a bit more love though, right now it's obvious that it was done quickly by hand in photoshop or some sort of random scratch brush was used. (Avoid the strange starry pattern of scratches)

Come to think of it, I don't really see how that glass would ever get that scratched in real-life since it's a ceiling lamp, and one that's already protected by the metal layer as well. Well, unless the light bulb changer is clumsy as hell :)

Keep it up!
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    Really digging that new pass! Looking forward to see more ^.^
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to post the final image!

fishermans_light_beauty01.jpg

Since this was my first go at Substance Designer and PBR. It's not perfect, but I learned quite a bit from it. Expecting the next round of texturing to go more quickly!

I'm tackling my next PBR lamp. This one is more complex and has wood, plastic, glass, and a few different types of metal. I've already completed the high poly and baked the normal map. Added a few details with NDO. Now I'm ready to start texturing soon!

NeUlZsA.jpg
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the modeling on the new lamp! The intersection of the perpendicular poles looks awesome! My only crit is the wire is a bit faceted and janky. But otherwise looks good!
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Enjoying more of Substance Designer. I love the node-based workflow and being able to work on materials as a whole versus textures. I also find myself scrutinizing how certain materials are created, building up the layers in the graph in the same manner as they are in the real world. Here I have all the base materials created before I start to add a bit of wear and tear (but not to overdo it).

Should have the textures finalized this weekend so I can begin to play with the rendering!
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished adding in additional details and rendering out the images from Toolbag 2. I feel comfortable enough with PBR to start incorporating it into my next environment. Glad I took some time to get familiar with Substance Designer. Looking forward to making it a permanent part of my workflow!
  • odd_enough
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good, Josh :) I love the details on the pipe fittings on this latest lamp. Nice to see SD getting more use as well