Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Deception character

j.pears
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
j.pears polycounter lvl 4
hey all,
im currently working on a character for a project called deception, basically the main character used to be a special ops/inelegance codebreaker who was 'disregarded'. so he basically took a bad turn and essentially became that hard nut sitting at the corner of the bar. eventually start to delve into the world of crime and bank robbery but is contacted by someone for a 'Special mission'.
so thats a brief overview of the character, there's allot more detail but could be here all day. so the aim is to make him become more 'civilian' but stil obtaining a general ex army look and having some codebreaker gadgets (bit like the splintercell gear). im going to be posting up the progress of character so any crit/feedback will be much appreciated.

cheers all

heres the current progress:

6JHf4ju.jpg?1

d43zt5D.jpg?1

t7XYB06.jpg?1

iiGrVjZ.jpg?1

rgslTLC.jpg?1

Replies

• ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    good start, i like some of the forms on the face, but i think the eyeballs are a bit on the big side and it is making the entire eye shape look too large. I know he'll be dressed so I don't know how much feedback you want on the anatomy, but he's pretty ripped. I'd soften things out a little bit. also the legs feel a bit on the lumpy side, mostly the thigh area.
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp wrote: »
    good start, i like some of the forms on the face, but i think the eyeballs are a bit on the big side and it is making the entire eye shape look too large. I know he'll be dressed so I don't know how much feedback you want on the anatomy, but he's pretty ripped. I'd soften things out a little bit. also the legs feel a bit on the lumpy side, mostly the thigh area.

yeh i can see what you meen, ill bring them in a bit. also do you think the face sticks out a bit much? (as in the nose and mouth) ive been staring at it for a while and need a fresh set of eyes to tell me lol. yeh the body wont be on show, just got the general shape so i could sculpt the cloths ontop.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    no, i don't think they stick out too far. the only other thing is that maybe the transitions into the lips are a bit on the sharp side
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a quick photobash of the character concept in one of his outfits. i will state again its a photobash so its photos of other peoples work merged together to create a concept so i take no credit for the art pieces of art in the piece. i was just to generate an idea. what do you lot think?
    HyZqQOk.jpg?1

will also be posting up some updates soon
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive been doing a bit of work on the shirt and the creases, also made the eyes slightly smaller as suggested. any crit would be great :) cheers

QhNpLUi.jpg?1

ePEO49c.jpg?1

3q7lL9I.jpg?1

DGhMcWf.jpg?1

PfSzY2R.jpg?1
  • Croftyness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Croftyness polycounter lvl 11
    I would say he needs more mass around the chest. At the moment his torso is very cylindrical. : )
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a quick update on the trousers

HGz7kNh.jpg?1
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    Croftyness wrote: »
    I would say he needs more mass around the chest. At the moment his torso is very cylindrical. : )

agreed, also you need to match the size of his shirt. it looks a little odd seeing the back part of the shirt being really lose and the front really tight, needs to look more relaxed.
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeh i completely see what you both mean, ive tried adjusting it slightly but cautious to over do it as it may look odd when i bring the arms down. do the creases look better? ive tried filling them out more to make it seem a bit more baggy at the lower front.

d5AXMe0.jpg?1
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made some headway with the boots, not 100% finished but go the main base for now
    NRLsXZv.jpg?1
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update, did some work on the jacket from the concept for a different scene. again any crit would be very welcomed.

sBVV3t6.jpg?1

W2haRcz.jpg?1
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome, the proportions look great! Those boots are awesome too.

My only suggestion (and it's quite a stretch to think of one) would be that he seems quite slight, and so maybe some of his clothes should be a bit baggier? I do like how he's not your typical excessively muscular protagonist.
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome, the proportions look great! Those boots are awesome too.

My only suggestion (and it's quite a stretch to think of one) would be that he seems quite slight, and so maybe some of his clothes should be a bit baggier? I do like how he's not your typical excessively muscular protagonist.

hmm yeh i may try that, well im planning on adding a bag onto him next so i could play with the creases some more then and have the maybe folding over the strap etc.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Cool boots. Nice work so far overall.
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers pal, next update coming soon
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest update, things slowed down recently, had to jump onto other stuff temporarily.
    Initial test inside ue4, basic subdermal skin profile material test, shirt texture testing and hair alpha testing. plenty of issues with model coming through and dodgy normal maps but just posting up progress.

J63yNnb.jpg
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also a slight concept change, let me know what you all think compared to 1st one. and again i take no credit for the art assets in this piece, i just photobashed them together for a proof of concept

RqaySed.jpg
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    latest sculpt update
    however it is missing the pockets in the whole body image

6dgTh8k.jpg?1

V5vtyws.jpg?1
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have done a bit of work on the jacket

WqmCFuR.jpg?1
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    This looks awesome Josh. :) Good job man!
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell wrote: »
    This looks awesome Josh. :) Good job man!

cheers, been working away on the clothing material definition, still not there yet but on route. will post more updates soon.
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been experimenting with the skin texture with the ue4 SSS. any feedback would be very appreciated.

OhqZlfs.jpg?1
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick texturing update, let me know what you think so far :)

zgYuuME.png?1

RpCXiGm.png?1
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    had a little play with textures again, decided to place it into the intended environment.
    I added a bag, redone the hair and added a beard, tweaked a few of the body textures.
    thinking about redesigning the arm tech as Im not sure it fits the design.
    Its not finished yet, still got loads to do but any feedback would be much appreciated. Cheers

Note: I did not create the environment he is in. It was made by another member of the team. I've placed on a heavy depth of field blur to hide most of the level. it is only used to get a feel of the setting the character will be in and the lighting and not to take credit for other work.

the completed level will most likely be uploaded by the creator at some point as well as the finished project.

9gl9fgy.jpg?1

LAv3ScW.jpg?1

DUBW2y7.jpg?1

V5P8ySl.jpg?1
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Apart from the eyes being huge with an intense stare, it looks great - looks like you're putting a lot of work into this :)
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    Apart from the eyes being huge with an intense stare, it looks great - looks like you're putting a lot of work into this :)

yes hes very vacant at the moment lol. for the final shots he'll have full expressions (hopefully). but thanks though.
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wander if anyone can help me out, in unreal i'm using their new SSS (subsurface profiles to be precise) and for some reason the skin underneath the hair decides to go green. Does anyone know how to fix this?

IQRJrJr.jpg?1
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    worked on some more texturing, also did a bit of a redesign of the arm-tech. decided to make it more of a computer type system where the glove can be used to hack into systems etc. are there any changes i should make before i start finalizing it?

VvqgaXj.jpg

aNRwi9n.jpg

D6QHJuB.jpg
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been trying to make the eyes look better using more shading etc. not a quite there yet. also had a go at rigging the face to give him something other than a vacant expression.

IEGw4sO.jpg
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final renders. has been a nice learning process to use unreal 4 and how different it can make things look. let me know what you all think so I can take the feedback onto my next few projects. I appreciated and found the crit really usefull thus far so thanks for that all. more images will follow these as well as a turntable.

So here my blade runner/treasure hunter character for my university project. enjoy

Cheers all.

G9yRaCB.jpg

PQrMhtq.jpg
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So awesome! It looks brilliant. Great work, Josh!
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work. The clothing and proportions look pretty good. I think the thing that is lacking the most compared to the rest is the hair right now. There is not really much volume and also the hair plane edges are very harsh making him looking like he stuck a tub of hair wax into his hair and tried to comb it.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Edit - Whoops. I was only looking at the first page, looks like you addressed it.
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @WesleyArthur cheers bud, appreciate it.
    @Tynew thanks man, yeah i totally agree, have had a right job making the hair work within unreal. its something for my next character id like to try to nail down for sure.
    @LRoy what were you going to suggest?