Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Environment Art

[Riot Art Contest] - FemCharles

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
FemCharles greentooth
Hey

Thought i would get my thread up and going.

Just done some really rough sketches to get a feel for what i might go for. Nothing is set in stone yet, i will probably spend a few days riffing ideas.

I started with the Inhibitor. Keeping in a similar theme with summoners rift. Stone, nature, magic.

Anyway here is some super rough sketches, thinking about shapes mostly! I will continue with more ideas through out the next few days.

Final images for my inhibitor! Won't be able to finish the creep den in time. Good luck to everyone else entering, Looking forward to seeing everyone fantastic art!

cAMPeNC.jpg
kh6NBRh.jpg
7bXvGvu.jpg
BaihykU.jpg

Replies

• BrooD
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Great concepts so far, I look forward to this developing! :)
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Thanks for the comments guys :)

So iv spent a bit of time this lunch thinking about ideas for the tower. I done some rough silhouettes. I am thinking about stone carvings totems that could rotate.

I'll probably work on the design of the tower and the inhibitor at the same time, because i would like them somewhat matching. It will be a bit of back and forth.

Anyway here some silhouettes:
  • Soy13
    Nice silhouettes, the one with the mobile parts looks intersting.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Nice start. Just remember to keep the camera-angle in mind. I'd love to see some of these concepts from the 3/4 in-game view, that will really help inform you where you should be pushing your silhouettes.
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Wells wrote: »
    Nice start. Just remember to keep the camera-angle in mind. I'd love to see some of these concepts from the 3/4 in-game view, that will really help inform you where you should be pushing your silhouettes.

Yeah i totally agree. I originally just slapped some ideas down side view because i find it easier. (my 2d skill isn't that great!) I am actually currently working on silhouettes from the 3/4 angle to see if it will work with some of my ideas. I will upload images later.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated! :)
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    So i spent a bit of time doing silhouettes from the 3/4 angle to see if my ideas work. Think im going to roll with the overgrown natural vibe and push that further. I like the idea of the hollowed out tree with a pond base. I might work on that idea more.

I need to re look at my totems idea and see if i can make it fit more with the inhibitor.

Anyway here is some inhibitor silhouettes! NZJFMv7.jpg?1
  • OinkOink
    the second and the fourth ! :)
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    2,4,5 are my favorite ones.
  • dummyyou
    Offline / Send Message
    dummyyou polycounter lvl 13
    I like 1 and 2
  • heyeye
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    3 and 4 or 1 and 6 smashed together would be pretty awesome
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Sekoran polycounter lvl 4
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Hey guys!

Thanks for the responses, its really interesting to see what people are drawn to the most!

Iv started block out models on some of silhouettes above. I am not entirely sure some of the tree ones will work. I don't want it to be overly noisy and i am also concerned it would obscure the player too much if they went behind it.

So i went back to doing some more silhouettes on the 3/4 angle sheet. It will interesting to see if people prefer something else than the tree ideas :)

Here are some of the more interesting shapes ones:

IRw8oru.jpg?1
  • Kaiser D
    From the black & white concepts, I like bottom left one with the spinning rings. I was actually gonna make my turret with a similar design, like one of those spinning solar system models, but kept only one ring. Your silhouette for the ringed inhibitor has a lot of potential! It's sleek and can easily look good from any angle.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Middle one on the left has strongest sillhoutte imo.

You can make more of the floaty bits though.

Also I enjoy the dangly bits from the fourth down on the right.
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    So thinking over my ideas again, and looking over some back story of the summoners rift level, i have decided (i think i have) to roll with the overgrown idea.

What i find interesting about the summoners rift level is that the magic is so great it has mutated the wildlife, so i started playing with the idea that the foliage/trees have also started to mutate too.

This is what iv come up so far with the inhibitor concept:

XPrXjpO.jpg?3

I like the idea that the foliage is gathering around the energy source but cant latch onto it directly so it almost starts to curl around it.

Here some other rough ideas with different stone bases and stuff!

eISs6xF.jpg?1

I havent thought about what the source of energy will look like yet. I will come back to that once i have thought more of more designs for the turret!
  • parasyte7
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to make sure you saw this post with the update to the rules:

Hi everyone,

At Riot Games, we have a very strong feedback culture. We pivot and make adjustments when things can be done better or are not working. In the spirit of this culture and after internal conversations with feedback from the community, we have decided to make some tweaks to the environment section of the contest. You can now choose to create the turret or the inhibitor rather than being required to create both. We want to make sure we are giving everyone enough time to create assets that you are proud of and able to finish in time for the December 19th deadline.

We are also tweaking the animation com petition and not have animators pick an established character since animating a specific character without the exact model will be difficult. We want to see solid animations that are keeping the animation style of LoL in mind when creating these ability assets.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

-Kenny
  • future-fiction
    Offline / Send Message
    future-fiction greentooth
    I like the base of #1 the best, with the pink or orange glow!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    quick update on sculpt.

Started to get blockout bits in zbrush and started a rough sculpt. The tree still needs loads of work. Started working into the stone base. Proportion wise its pretty close apart from the tree, i might thicken that up. Anyway crits welcome :)

1dFREnO.png
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Been quiet for awhile, been busy with work and moving house.

I wrapped up the sculpt some time ago, ill post the finished sculpt later on.

Here is how far i got with the inhibitor. Still a few loose ends to tie up. I need to add some foliage around the base to break up where the stone meets the ground. Adjust the levels and paint in some more shadow/highlights/details, but for now i think i will park it and move onto the creep den. Come back later with fresh eyes and finish it off. Hopefully i'll get enough time to chuck it into unity so i can show it with moving water and some VFX.

Anyway feel free to crit it, iv been staring at this thing way too long!

zohZlHR.png
  • Savannakhet
    Offline / Send Message
    Savannakhet polycounter lvl 11
    I like it!

Wood texture looks nice, stone texture is a little weaker: some more light/shadow detail around the edge of the cracks maybe?
  • Crolock
    Offline / Send Message
    Crolock polycounter lvl 4
    Really nice work.
  • future-fiction
    Offline / Send Message
    future-fiction greentooth
    Waa, it looks awesome! The sculpt transferred really well into low poly! I really love the crystal, they really feel like they're glowing.
    As far as crits go, I feel like the whole thing needs a bit more top down AO so the forms can read a bit better - I did a paintover, I think mine goes over the top but hopefully it gets the idea across...

1z6t93p.png

- added more contrast between tree and crystal
    - I liked the more magical looking water in the concept so I tries saturating it a bit more, plus added some blue bounce to the tree and stone base
    -desaturated the tree to bring out the crystal instead, pushed the saturation on the gold
    -bigger cracks overall on the stone would be good!
    also like the idea of adding some foliage to the bottom. Keep goinggg
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Thanks guys!

Thanks for the paint over Blair!

I pretty much agree with everything you have said, i'll get on those changes soon after iv done a bit more on the creepden! :)
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel Duy polycounter lvl 5
    That's looking awesome. I think it will great if you can enhance the light on the crystal a bit more. Can't wait to see your creep den. :)
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Iv done some more on my inhibitor and i'm trying to get the final image together now. I wanted to render it in marmoset but i don't know if it supports vertex alpha / vertex colour from Maya? I can't seem to get it to work.

Does anyone know?

thanks!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    So uploaded my final images i'll update them on the first post. I won't have time to finish my creep den which i'm only half way through. It's such a shame because i really wanted to finish it in time for the competition. Anyway the work here by everyone has been fantastic, its such an inspiration seeing so much awesome art work! Good luck to everyone entering, i look forward to seeing everyones final pieces :D

cAMPeNC.jpg
    kh6NBRh.jpg
    7bXvGvu.jpg
    BaihykU.jpg
  • Beats
    Offline / Send Message
    Beats polycounter lvl 11
    The inhibitor looks awesome! call in sick and get the creep den finished