Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

theonebutcher's game art

Hi All!
It’s been a while since I’ve posted on here. I have been lurking on the forums looking at all the awesome work that keep popping up.

So this is going to be my main thread for showing off what I’m working on and a place to hopefully get some awesome critique. My aim is to grow my portfolio and try and improve my art quality overall.

I feel as though my portfolio hasn’t evolved much and this has been due to starting a lot of project and never finishing them. I intend to end that and start to produce more regularly, using this as a repository for progress.

I’m hoping to get a few things from this thread:
• Get critique on current projects and level up my skills.
• Get critique on my portfolio and develop this into something awesome!

You can find my portfolio over at:

www.james-butcher.com

ELYSIUM GRENADE

So here is my current work in progress, based off a concept from a grenade from Elysium. I have been working on the High poly, and have detailed it in Zbrush. I am working on the low res and will have progress to show of that shortly!
Any CC welcomed!

Here is the concept im working from:

rPAAcxv.jpg

Here is my High Poly WIP

aMEM3h7.jpg

Replies

• PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man! Looking cool so far. As I mentioned earlier, I think this could do with having some of those hard edges softening quite a bit so they read more clearly in the normal map from the distance this grenade would usually be viewed at.

Looking forward to seeing some new projects from you! Best of luck.
  • theonebutcher
    Hey Liam!

Thanks for dropping by man! Yeah I need to take a look at those edges. I'll take another look over my sculpt and post some progress. Currently working on the low res for this as well.
  • theonebutcher
    Hey all,

Here is some more progress on the grenade. Ive softened the edges since the last image and added some more subtle details.

Here is the updated High Poly

5ksNf8a.jpg

And CC greatly appreciated.
  • theonebutcher
    Here is some more progress on the grenade project. Just testing out some colours in preparation for texturing this.

S8UueUz.jpg
  • scotthomer
    I have to second what Mr Tart said, the edges on this are still super crisp, they're not going to look anywhere as good as they would if the edges were really exaggerated.

66q0O.jpg

It's looking great otherwise dude, I love the subtlety of the edge sculpt details, cant wait to see it baked..once you've soften those damn edges <3
    Here is some more progress on the grenade project. Just testing out some colours in preparation for texturing this.

S8UueUz.jpg
  • theonebutcher
    Hey all,
    Here is some progress on the Elysium grenade, I went back to re model some of the underlying geometry on the mesh as there were some problems when subdivided in Zbrush. Started the sculpt again taking folks feedback into account.
    I have made an effort to keep the edges soft in prep for baking down the line. I’m currently in the process of finishing the Low poly mesh off and UV’ing it. Shot of the new high poly below!

m1Px8zu.jpg

Any and all feedback appretiated!
  • theonebutcher
    Hi all,

Here is the game res of the Elysium hand grenade.
    If anyone has any feedback it would be appreciated.

Im thinking that this is pretty much finished now and im looking to move onto something else for my folio.

0WNNUnl.jpg
  • theonebutcher
    Another grenade I have been working on, rendered in UE4.

I am planning to move onto an environment piece next, again any CC appreciated.

ECQ97Iy.jpg