Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Admiral and future Projects :)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
Hello :)

This is my latest personal project. He's not perfect and there's loads I wanna change but it's time to let him go now. Everything is rendered in marmosets toolbag 2, if you got any questions then please ask away :)

*updated renders*

Cheers

sa_final_003.jpg

Turnaround
sa_turnaround2.jpg

Construction
sa_construction2.jpg

Wires
sa_wires2.jpg

Sculpt
sa_sculpt.jpg

Also heres another project I have been working on :) More to come soon!!!!
[FONT=&quot]
maleficent_022.jpg

As some of you may have noticed in my signature, I'm not with 'Slide London' anymore which means I'm available 'now.' So please do get in touch if you like what I do and think I might be able to help you out :) my NDAs are very tight for the last 3 years due to the nature of what I have worked on but please visit slides website for a very small insight into some of the many clients I've had the pleasure of working with over the years[/FONT]

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Space Admiral is wonderful, I love the aesthetics. Looking forward to seeing more!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    So awesome, love the design and the execution.

Hope you land a job that takes advantage of those ridiculous skills.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Top notch work, mate. I do wonder whether you've made your renders a bit dark - you're hiding a lot of that nice detailing in shadow and losing your silhouettes in the equally dark background.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, looks amazing!
    good job with the hair, what was your process for that?
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I agree with Jackablade here, Space Admiral needs more light to see that niceness :)
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    :O What witchcraft is this... new work from the lesserspotted Crazyfool?

Great work Tom! Love the details on that guy.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    These are some random thoughts, and I know you're more experienced than I am, so feel free to ignore — but I figured this might be one of those threads where you won't exactly drown in criticism.

- Agreed with Jackablade, it's really quite hard to see some things, especially since Polycount's background is just a shade brighter than the backgrounds of your renders.

- Personally I just dislike scarring in general, it's almost a rarity to see a grizzled man who hasn't had a blade scathe him either over the eye or by the upper lip just enough to show, but not enough to disfigure. But overlooking that, I feel you might have overdone the amount a bit, so that it becomes difficult to see the eye scar as iconic. Furthermore, a lot of them seem to have a different direction, which makes it look quite random.

- I don't think the insides of the nostrils work entirely well. While sculpting, we all have a bit of a habit of tapering them as they go in, whereas they should open up to a larger cavity inside. This means that you don't get the amount of occlusion you need. It should be more of a black hole.

- More nostrils: I think that the outside folds are modeled a bit too sharply and should derive their definition more from a slight darkening of the skin. At least, that's how it works on my face.

- The material wear seems a bit inconsistent to me. The gold bits have scars of their own and are very worn, the leather is dirty, but intact, and the plastic of the shoulder pads, as well as the straps, are in pristine condition.

- Lastly, the individual beard hairs look very thick and solid to me. It looks fine from a distance, but I wonder if they wouldn't look a bit better if they'd get a bit of transparancy at their ends to make them look somewhat less harsh.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    This is dope, Reminds me of EvE Online.
    Great Job.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I'm making notes on how our skin shader appears to be reacting to your texture inputs here, more than trying to actually criticise your work hehe.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I'm digging the hair execution. I made a hair strip brush similar to yours after seeing your vid on vimeo. There's still a ton of hand tweaking to do during and afterwards though. Have you found any ways to refine the process or is it still pretty much brute force with loads of manual pushing and pulling?
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allknighter polycounter lvl 5
    'Tis indeed a beautiful render. And I love the skin work.
    Though I do agree to what Zwebbie said about the nostrils needing to be darker, and that the overall render would look better, a bit brighter.
    Furthermore, I think that if the nose itself looks like it needs a bit bigger pores/deeper pores. As it doesn't seem to quite pop the same way the rest of The face does.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I agree with everything :) I do have some twisted logic with why the shoulders are clean but if it needs explaining then it's not right haha. I did try some lighter renders too but it lost all the atmosphere unfortunately :( the next one will be better :) I learnt a huge amount on this guy but feels like polishing a poop now haha, so looking forward to adding this all onto the next project. Main thing I have taken away is that zbrush viewport is never to be trusted, shadows and perspective are a lie haha

I'm gonna do a write up on the hair in the next few days as a lot of people have asked about it. I am using my IMM brush technique aswell, was surprisingly good fun in the end haha
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Great stuff man and cool to see some new work from you! I can see what others mean about it being a bit dark for showing off the model, but I really like the mood of the lighting. I think it adds a lot to the feel of the character. I love the cloth details, but I think the shoulder pads could use a little more wear and the neck seems a bit long in the presentation shot. Kickass work man!
    Looking forward to seeing that hair write up :)
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Killer work! Always exciting to see new stuff from you. I dig the lighting/rendering, helps add personality to him and sets an interesting mood. Looking forward to the hair write-up.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    fucking excellent man. and can't wait for that hair breakdown. no polycount header for this guy? COME ON POLYCOUNT PEOPLEZ
  • Thaiauxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaiauxn polycounter lvl 7
  • Royzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw this over on ArtStation, really awesome stuff :D. Also joining the line of people looking forward to the hair write-up.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I have updated the shots with some of the feedback from you awesome guys. Ive dropped the head a bit, thinned the hairs on the beard and added a few more cards to thicken it out, and added some slight wear to the shoulders. Thanks for the awesome feedback guys, sorry I couldn't address everything but I've gotta start on my next one now, I'll get some wips up soon of the concept I've drawn up :)

Hair write up is on the way aswell, got some awesome uv tips from Eric Askue aswell that just made my day haha. Uving entire hairstyles in seconds!!!!
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Om Nom Nom that's alot of eye candy. :thumbup:

Although the block color beard is odd like it's just unlit.
    I'm not saying you need to make a Joel beard, but some edge highlights could help unflatten it. :)
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome job on both Admiral And Jolie. Definitely looking forward for hair write up and some process on skin shaders.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    amazing job here man!
  • Royzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found your real-time hair write-up ;). Bought the issue. Nice work!