Home General Discussion

3D Character modeling Price questions

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Bmikes1988 polycounter lvl 9
Hi, I'm currently working on a game with a very small team and this is our first actual game we plan to release. We are good in almost all areas accept Character modeling and we have been thinking of hiring someone to model our character concepts, never having this done before I am trying to find out what a reasonable price is and what is not. I realize this can depend on so much so I have the concept that I am going to attach along with info that may help.
[IMG][/img]FI7kNq7.jpg

The Red Robot
- For a top down game "like Halo Spartan Assault"
- Will be rigged and animated
- 3D model with PBR texturing
- Going in Unreal Engine 4
- Close to, or look just like the concept.

If anyone can help me with what it would cost to have this character modeled is the main question. The other is do you know the best way to find this person that could help!

We are in no hurry but we will need at least 4 to 5 characters modeled. We will worry about rigging and animation later unless the rigging can all be done by the same person.

Any Information will be helpful, I plan to keep up with this thread so thank you very much!

Replies

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Eh... usually freelancers don't openly give out quotes. Competitors and all that. So you might get PMs about this instead.
    One thing that is important is the timeframe. The quote will be different if the artist has 2wks or 2 months to finish this, though you said you're not in a hurry. You might get some discount because you have 4-5 works lined up already, if you can guarantee the work will keep coming (and the payment)
    Another thing that is important is the quality of this. What platform will this be on ? Will there be a close-up view of the model ? Or is this mech only gonna be seen as 2 or maybe 3 inches tall at most ? Versus zooming in so close only his head can fits the entire 21" screen ?

You might have better luck posting this in the most appropriate forum: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    probably from 10 to 200 bucks an hour
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Definitely post in the freelance section..and ask for some quotes

Doing package quotes is awesome....but I would get a feel for the artist before you put all your eggs in one basket

Also, What PyrZem said, what kind of detail are you looking for...You looking for stuff that you can use for promo shots/loadout screens...500 pixel tall game models.. Both...it will make a difference in the price.

And remember you get what you pay for...if someone is willing to work below, or close to minimum wage...then the ere is a good chance that they are not going to invest the proper time in your assets.. Good Luck
  • Bmikes1988
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys, I'm newer to polycount as well so that helps!

As for the characters they will all be featured in cutscenes and closeups even though the gameplay is topdown. This being said the detail doesn't need to be First person like but we are looking for quality because you are able to zoom in close to a 3rd person view as well. The game is currently being developed in Unreal Engine 4 using the PC platform for starters and may continue down through next gen and 360/PS3.

As far as time goes we are currently still working on gameplay itself using sample characters. at the moment I am just looking for info to relay to the team and we will go from there! My guess is we could give the artist 2 months for 1 and 4 months for 2 characters mainly because we are not in a time crunch. That's just a guess at the moment and we are flexible. We also use skype along with many other forms so communication is no problem!

Thanks again everyone! This information has been very helpful. I will definitely post something like this in the freelancer section.
  • Bmikes1988
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is our engineer class character concept If you were curious. He needs a few changes before he is finished, such as we plan to have his helmet shape more like something from Dredd and different style legs but this is what we have at the moment. we plan to have these 2 in our test beta builds and will add 2 or more after. [IMG][/img]hqqXHLD.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Also, random quotes from around the web...

http://www.katsbits.com/articles/how-much-should-i-charge-for-freelance-3d-modeling-work.php
    A barrel, box or crate, $50+
    An empty simple warehouse structure, $500+
    Series of map objects, pillars, arches, doorways, $750+
    Small empty 'industrial' level, no map objects, $2,500+
    Larger empty 'industrial' level, no map objects, $5,000+
    A 'city' scape level, no map objects, $5,000+
    Large level including terrain and buildings, no map objects, $10,000+
    Character less than 1000 triangles, rigged, no animation, $800+
    Character less than 2500 triangles, rigged, no animation, $1,500+
    Character less than 5000 triangles, rigged no animation, $2,500+
    Character less than 5000 triangles, rigged with animations, $5,000+
    Content for small virtual world, $2,500+
    Content for a large virtual world, $5,000+
    Jon Jones:
    Low-end overseas art studio: $140 - 180\day ($17.50 - 22.50\hr)
    Average overseas art studio: $200\day ($25\hr)
    High-end overseas art studio: $300\day ($37.50\hr)

Low-end domestic art studio: $350\day ($43.75\hr)
    Average domestic art studio: $500\day ($62.50\hr)
    High-end domestic art studio: $800\day ($100\hr. this is rare, usually it's boutique studios)