Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Freddy's Fried Chicken - Small scene

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Been reinstalling the o/s and testing things out so I thought it may be a good idea to get back on this scene to see if anything snaps...

Front.jpg
    Back.jpg

btw it has been the first time trying out photoshop cs4 x64 which is prooving itself to be as stable as a one legged stool, constant crashes etc. Even when it doesn't crash it feels as buggy as hell with stuff like layers not coming back on when switching visibility and crawling like mad when using a smudge brush. To add insult to injury the sticky keys function got enabled and I got this tremendous beep in my ear, scared the crap out of me!

So I did a clean sweep of all adobe stuff and reinstalled, it's still the same but x32 is fine*shrug* kind of annoying when you have a decent 64bit system and only 2 programs that are 64 bit, whatever.

Anyway at least I can get back to the portfolio now...
  • DennisGlowacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DennisGlowacki polycounter lvl 7
    How's your website coming along?
    And how about some messed up roof tiles to match the rest of the awesomeness. :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It's getting there thanks, not started dammage on the house roof yet though...

Crosssection-OldGMCTruck.jpg

Managed to reduce the tricount on the truck by half (tech stuff printed on the bottom of img) Tweaked the diffuse and normal texture a bit too as there were a few dodgy areas.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    hey, so this thread has been going too long and it's high time it had some progress!
    Here's the intended scene in high poly, although there will be a few extras thrown in later.

hmimg2.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that scene looks great, hope it all bakes nicely
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks Ged, I know this thread is bordering on ancient times so I will try to get this thing finished, err, soon!

update (high poly modelled with details - only basic in last image and bake done with mockup texture - work in progress)
    sign-front.jpg

I figured as this will probably be the, or one of the centerpieces, it will set the standard for everything else so it had better be good.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Love this man! keep it up!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    holy crap ancient history! I haven't peeped in on this one in ages and I'm impressed iwth the progress. :)
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    oh wow i remember this thread from a while back!

loving the style on that billboard :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    hehehe thanks guys :poly124:

done the sign for now, here's a render with the texture sheet attached. Might come back later and touch up a few areas, or if someone notices anything that's not quite up to scratch?

sign.jpg

back view

signback.jpg

Diffuse.jpg

edit: 13,758 tris (those pesky bulbs)_
  • vandornj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the look, can't wait to seem more.
    Also, how are you doing your fonts? I've been trying to find a quick way to add extra details to a lot of my pieces. Thanks.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This stuff is pretty good I'd say. Like the pickup alot.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    late replies!

vandornj, fonts were done in Photoshop on the sign, both types of text warping used along with skew. On other objects it was done in max where text was protruding.

Just finished rendering the 8192px² ground plane, took a while and here's the proof!

long-render.jpg

other env stuff to go at the top (grass, rocks) in case you were wondering about the gap and textures to come...
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    if i am correct... thats 3.2 days?

im trying to wrap my head around why you would make that so big? if its for a ground plane that would be big.. why not just do a shader composite?
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    if i am correct... thats 3.2 days?

im trying to wrap my head around why you would make that so big? if its for a ground plane that would be big.. why not just do a shader composite?

totally agree, what are the advantages to having a map this large?
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    also not sure where you are using so many triangles on that vehicle, if you are going to use so many then make it obvious on the curved surfaces at least.
    plus you have a total of 5 2048x2048 textures for a truck? (even if you're using alpha channels that's still taking up as much memory as a regular rgb tex)
    that is an obscene waste for a result that doesn't really justify the cost.

if i were a potential employer that would worry me.

also i don't think they use cork board on the back of outdoor signs; especially odd is how the cork is pretty much unblemished but the rest of the sign is so weathered.

the text is quite worn away, will people be able to read it at the distance you intend to render it?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The idea was to see how long it would take to render a megatexture and gives me the chance to go nuts with painting. Maybe the scene could be extended at a later date into a mini-town of sorts, that was an afterthought! Edit: yes 3.2 nearly 3.3 days and this baby got noisy on me.

---
    Rick_D, the truck is old news, has had many hours spent inc. optimising tricount. Textures are huge for portfolio closeups and flexibility which means not game engine ready!

I don't know what they use on the back of old signs, references are non-existant? It's going to be partially hidden but your thought is noted.
    But wait... you mean to say I have to use multiple camera distances to check the readability of overall shape, textures, saturation and the tonal range of specularity? I never knew treedee was so hard lol :p
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    all i am saying is that when you put it into the scene and render form your chosen angle that a lot of the detail of the sign is going to be lost because the text is very worn away and faded:

alu8x.jpg

all i know at this point is that it has something to do with chicken, freddy doesn't even factor into it.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Update, been working on the ground textures, not complete but getting there also a skydome and some lighting. Need to tweak the horizon more, might add some mountains.

render2.jpg
  • Jenn0_Bing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jenn0_Bing polycounter lvl 7
    Whoa, I'd managed to persuade myself this was going to be a snowy scene after all those Wip shots. Looking good.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Final renders of this looong overdue project that even I was convinced would never get finished! Hope you like and thanks to all those who provided support through this.

Daytime
    Day.jpg
    Night.jpg

:)