Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Mini Project] Futurama Prop

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
Hey everyone

This project probably won't last long but I wanted to post about it anyway! I'm making the F Ray from Futurama (S2E04). I'm probably going to run it through DDO to bring it into the "real world" but I may also hand-paint it. Here's what I got:

F-Ray.jpg

High poly:

F-Ray_HP.PNG

Replies

• Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    The edges look way too tight right now, I don't think they'll be picked up well by the normalmap. The same could probably be said about the screws as well as I can barely see what they're supposed to be at this already quite big shot.

I'm not sure how closely your following the reference but it looks like the glass should be pushed in a little bit further and be a bit curvier as well. If the green part is supposed to be glass I think you should try making it transparent and model the parts behind it too as that always looks a lot better more convincing than making the glass opaque.

Other than that it looks like a pretty solid start.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Bonus points if you showcase it next to a can of Slurm.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I'm getting a reading of over forty megafonzies!
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote:
    The edges look way too tight right now, I don't think they'll be picked up well by the normalmap. The same could probably be said about the screws as well as I can barely see what they're supposed to be at this already quite big shot.

I'm not sure how closely your following the reference but it looks like the glass should be pushed in a little bit further and be a bit curvier as well. If the green part is supposed to be glass I think you should try making it transparent and model the parts behind it too as that always looks a lot better more convincing than making the glass opaque.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Yeah I have a tendency to make my edges too sharp. I'll soften up some of the areas that will probably cause trouble. The rectangular pieces that make up the grip area are at a 45 degree angle so those will bake just fine. I think the big problem areas are the little plates and flanges.

Nice catch on the lens, definitely needs to be adjusted a bit. It's hard to get the same curvature at the appropriate depth; the perspective isn't perfect in the reference image.

There are also parts behind the glass, I just forgot to have it transparent for the screenshot :)
    Bek wrote:
    Bonus points if you showcase it next to a can of Slurm.

Good idea! Maybe I'll also make it to where the F-Ray is looking through part of the can at the winning bottle cap inside.

Thanks guys
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick mockup in Toolbag

Marmo.PNG
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    [edit] Sketchfab WIP removed
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Hah cool. Only thought is that the YOU WIN! text should be on the inside of the bottlecap? although it's obviously ambiguous from the show.
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, yeah, I fixed the bottle cap. Nice catch.

Decided to keep the textures really simple, I didn't want this to drag on for long, just something fun. Rendered in Toolbag 2

screenshot000.png

screenshot001.png
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    I love this. Its super cool. Was concerned it was going to be boring but that f-ray green glow stuff made it much more interesting and fun.
  • 87roach
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    I just watched this episode! Fun work.
  • tsabszy
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy greentooth
    haha :) loving Futurama, keep it up :)