Home General Discussion

Most useful keyboard shortcuts for 3ds max

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Joost polycount sponsor
Figured it might be nice to share which hotkeys you use most often.
I'm still figuring out which commands to make shortcuts for, which is partly why I made this thread. I definitely want to improve my selection shortcuts.
I'll try to avoid the more common ones.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is the command for exiting sub-object mode. I usually work in expert mode and I have to switch out of it to exit sub-object mode.

PolyDraw Optimize: I only recently found this and it is Amazingly useful. It's replaced cut and target weld for me and collapse to some extent.
PolyDraw Drag: very useful for retopo
PolyDraw StepBuild: Haven't used this one and extend much yet, but I hear they're quite useful.
PolyDraw Extend:

(un)hide unselected: Default alt-u, alt-i. Basically isolation mode for sub objects

Expert mode: default ctrl-x. Hides most of the UI.
isolate selected: default alt-q

swift loop:

SmoothThirtySelection: autosmooth set to 30º

(editable poly) collapse:

edge bridge
: Bridge selection without settings box

(unwrap uvw) Relax: also changed the default settings somewhere.
(unwrap uvw) stitch selected

I'm sure I've forgotten loads but I'll add to this list later on. If anyone posts any I'll add them to this post as well. Hopefully we can get a nice list going :)

Replies

• maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I guess common shortcuts are a little relative but yeah, sorry if some are too common, Don't know any of the default keybinds though I just undid them all and went in and keybinded from a clean slate.

2mcyu0g.jpg

I would bind Snap Settings. Not sure the official name atm.
    Convert Editable Poly
    Soft Selection Toggle
    Create Shape from Selection
    Preserve UVs
    Ignore Backfacing
    Flow Connect
    Affect Pivot Only

This is pretty common and obvious but really most of the classic Editable Poly tools. Bevel, split, Extrude, Welds, Connects, Create, Flip-N etc.

Good idea gave me a few ideas yourself!
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    macroScript Bridge_Poly_No_MN
    toolTip:"Bridge Poly no Menu"
    buttonText:"BridgeP"

(
    $.EditablePoly.Bridge ()
    )

this macroscript will only make sense if you put it as keyboard shortcut or in quad menu. but it helps a lot :)

if you work in expert mode you gotta love Quads, its the way to have menu on the tip of your right click mouse button
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPN_oxbj1cw"]3DS Max 2012 Tutorial - Customizing the Quad Menus - YouTube[/ame]
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    xvampire wrote: »
    this macroscript will only make sense if you put it as keyboard shortcut or in quad menu. but it helps a lot :)

if you work in expert mode you gotta love Quads, its the way to have menu on the tip of your right click mouse button
    3DS Max 2012 Tutorial - Customizing the Quad Menus - YouTube

I think that script does the same as edge bridge?

Quad menus seem interesting but I've got pretty bad tendinitis/RSI so I want to avoid as many mouse clicks and movements as possible :(
    Luckily I've got a pretty good memory so I can set loads of hotkeys

@maximumsproductions Thanks for the suggestions :)
    Snaps and convert to editable poly would be good to bind.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    @komaokc:

I think max's default shortcut for "sub-object selection toggle" is Ctrl + B

and select similar is pretty useful ( note: you have similar option likes similar edge length, similar face areas, . . .)
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Nam.Nguyen wrote: »
    @komaokc:

I think max's default shortcut for "sub-object selection toggle" is Ctrl + B

Thanks, I actually tried that before but it didn't work as I had the same shortcut bound to something else. Works fine now :D
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ctrl-shift-esc...brings up the task manager so that you can end the process when it crashes...I use that hotkey a lot while working in max :D
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I use space assigned to a script that switches from create to modify mode. There was also a script around here that went straight to the last Edit Poly in the stack, or the Editable Poly base.

I also use a script to increase subdivision preview with + and - for quick modeling.

Then there's X for repeat last poly command, A for Swift loop, and quick commands in quads for common modifiers, quick assign pivots to center or edges, remove materials, attach all selected.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    q w e r f p s 1 2 3 4 5 basically sums up my entire life.

Oh and ctrl + z, unfortunately that one doesn't work in life.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    huffer wrote: »
    I use space assigned to a script that switches from create to modify mode. There was also a script around here that went straight to the last Edit Poly in the stack, or the Editable Poly base.

My life is complete.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666